Offer to Angels on the table

bigbird

Yeah, I played third, short and I also pitched.

It's more common to see a SS with a weaker arm than a 3rd baseman with a weaker arm.

You must have played in a different universe. Maybe the SS appear to have had a weaker arm?

The fact that you played SS and 3rd, gives you first hand knowledge that its harder to throw out a guy from SS postion than 3B postion.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's more common to see a SS with a weaker arm than a 3rd baseman with a weaker arm.

Not in MLB. This isn't the Little Leagues. You can choose to believe me or not but ANYBODY with experience in the game will tell you that being a SS requires more arm strength than being a 3b.

That coudl be the case of weight. If you played at the High School level generally pitchers who were good hitters would take 3b because they had limited range.

Really, so the Angels are the only team out there that would be willing to part with a prospect for Tejada? I'd rather go for a better prospect alone than Wood+.

They're one of a handful. Wood is a top 20-25 prospect in all of baseball. Who do you think we're going to get for Tejada? Kershaw?

That coudl be the case of weight. If you played at the High School level generally pitchers who were good hitters would take 3b because they had limited range.

Ok I played at an all-state level at 3b and 2B and I never had the arm strength to play SS, that just fact. I never "underthrew" a ball from third though.

Now I probably didn't have the range to play SS anyway, but thats beyond the point.

Ok I played at an all-state level at 3b and 2B and I never had the arm strength to play SS, that just fact. I never "underthrew" a ball from third though.

Now I probably didn't have the range to play SS anyway, but thats beyond the point.

I played every position, including catcher, on the diamond through Junior College, and the toughest throws were always from ss.

I was limited to 2b and 3rd with freakish range due to my weak arm.

I played every position, including catcher, on the diamond through Junior College, and the toughest throws were always from ss.

Haha, how sad is it that we are the drought on topics is so bad we are debating which part of the field requires the most arm stregth? :D

Yeah, I would side with Moose on this one. I played baseball back in my day and I'm sure that many on here did. Fact of the matter is, the SS has a much slicker angle as far as throwing it than the SS does.

Wikipedia has my back on this one:

It is an exclusively right-handed position, as a righty can easily throw to first or second without having to physically turn after playing a ground ball, the most common type of hit directed at the shortstop.

Linky

The third base position requires a strong arm. The third baseman sometimes must throw quickly to second base in time to start a double play.

Linky II

Whether or not it's more difficult is pretty much beside the point. Personally, I think a stronger arm is required moreso for a 3B than a SS, but that's just my personal opinion. Also, in my humblest of opinions, I think it's pretty close. I've never heard of a 3B that's regarded as good that had a weak arm. Come to think of it, they've all had cannons for arms.

What Moose's point actually is is that it's pretty typical for any decent 3B to have a good arm. That's all his point really is. I'm not sure exactly how that is refuted.

Also, according to this article, Figgins has:

speed, a strong arm and the ability to switch-hit and play shortstop.

Linky III

That would actually refute both, saying that he can play SS and he has a good arm.

I was limited to 2b and 3rd with freakish range due to my weak arm.

I was a very, very good firstbasemen, but the coach I had earlier on, always wanted to put a lefty there, so they played me at 2nd and 3rd.

Coaches can be weird sometimes, only lefties can play first, PFFT.

Everyone needs to think about a few things:

1) Yes, the throwing across the diamond from short is the hardest throw to make in all of MLB. Often a SS will range to his right, or to the hole, and be forced to throw against his body. In contrast a 3B will range forward or to the first base side of the infield, carrying his momentum with him. Only in extreme cases (ie ball hit down the line) will a 3B throw across his body and rely solely on his arm strength. This all should be basic knowledge.

2) To think that a package of Wood and Saunders is not acceptable for Tejada and HIS PERCEPTION AROUND THE LEAGUE is laughable. All prospects have questions. No prospect is 100% can't miss. Sure there are signs. And sure scouts have their favorite tools to drool over. But Brandon Wood in this organization would be ranked with Wieters if not AHEAD of Wieters on our top prospect list. The kid never played in college and was drafted right outta high school-Wieters has had the seasoning of playing in the ACC for three years. Wood is a man beast, anyone remember how he tore up the AFL last year? Something like 13 HR, breaking the record? He nabs a few bases and plays solid defense. What's not to like? Sure he didn't have the unbelievable year last year--but honestly, who could expect another year like his 2006 season?

3) Saunders is cheap, decent, and under a team's control for years to come. Never discount the value of a pitcher like this. Playoff teams are loaded with guys who eat up innings at cheap prices.

All in all, if McPhail can pull this off, we've got one hell of a GM at our helm. Remember, Tejada is not the same player we signed several years ago. We might like to think he is, but the reality is the league scouts and GMs view him as a player past his prime. And that's all that counts. Not what we think. Not what the O's think. But what rival GMs think about Tejada. And if that's the consenus, then the O's are making out nicely in a trade revolving around Wood and Saunders.

(Finally)

It is an exclusively right-handed position, as a righty can easily throw to first or second without having to physically turn after playing a ground ball, the most common type of hit directed at the shortstop.

Hah, a funny note on this, a kid I played with through high school was on another traveling team, and then went on to play in college at a school in NC. He played on a team with Harold Baines' son, and to keep his amazing bat in the lineup, my friend actually played an entire summer season at third as a lefty. It was always funny to watch. I never quite understood it myself, I mean there was a DH.

Yeah, I would side with Moose on this one. I played baseball back in my day and I'm sure that many on here did. Fact of the matter is, the SS has a much slicker angle as far as throwing it than the SS does.

Wikipedia has my back on this one:

Linky

Linky II

Whether or not it's more difficult is pretty much beside the point. Personally, I think a stronger arm is required moreso for a 3B than a SS, but that's just my personal opinion. Also, in my humblest of opinions, I think it's pretty close. I've never heard of a 3B that's regarded as good that had a weak arm. Come to think of it, they've all had cannons for arms.

What Moose's point actually is is that it's pretty typical for any decent 3B to have a good arm. That's all his point really is. I'm not sure exactly how that is refuted.

Also, according to this article, Figgins has:

Linky III

That would actually refute both, saying that he can play SS and he has a good arm.

First, I'll admit I have no idea about Figgins' throwing ability. Secondly, I'll go with my baseball knowledge over wikipedia any day of the week. The first quote you produce has nothing to do with arm strength; it's simply the reason lefties don't play third- or short or second for that matter- they can't make the pivot to first quickly enough. And like Mike said, it's pretty silly this is even debatable; it should have been solved in about three seconds. EVERYBODY knows that the throw in the hole from ss is the most difficult throw to make on the diamond. There are plenty of people with the arm to play third who can't make that throw. SS requires a better arm p-e-r-i-o-d.

I was a very, very good firstbasemen, but the coach I had earlier on, always wanted to put a lefty there, so they played me at 2nd and 3rd.

Coaches can be weird sometimes, only lefties can play first, PFFT.

My coach was so dumb we had a pitcher that threw 50-60 mph in our rotation ONLY because he was a LEFTY.

Actually he last 2 starts because he got rocked, but still a stupid decision.

And don't get me started on his bunting approach.

My coach was so dumb we had a pitcher that threw 50-60 mph in our rotation ONLY because he was a LEFTY.

Actually he last 2 starts because he got rocked, but still a stupid decision.

And don't get me started on his bunting approach.

Oh my god, I batted leadoff becasue I got walked alot and I saw a lot of pitches, so I could help my teammates with ball movement. For about three weeks he was on a stretch where he made me attempt a bunt on every at-bat. It was beyond ubsurd.

Archived