Offer to Angels on the table

bigbird

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not neccassarily.

The Marlins seem to be asking for too much and it may open the door to other teams to trade for MCab.

The Dodgers may just get Bedard and sign Rowand or A Jones.

But if they do this, they'll most likely keep LaRoche as insurance for when Nomar gets hurt so it would take him out of the picture. I guess Scott Moore can play third for us though...

Kemp, Kershaw and Broxton would still be a good haul for Bedard.

Trading for Saunders would allow us to trade DCab as well in a Jason Bay trade or we could flip Saunders to them.

I hear ya, I think we basically agree, I agree that the pundits would have thought that Aybar/Santana was a better offer at the time. Aybar was a classic overrated tools guy two years ago IMHO

I gotta say I've agreed completely with everything vatech has said in this thread. For all the angst about Wood's obp it's been better than Ayabar's throughout thier careers. And obviously the power potential isn't even close.

Nobody's saying there isn't inherent risk in trading Tejada for prospects but whether it's Wood or Pie or somebody else that risk isn't going to change.

Dudes got good power potential, but not a fan of his on base percentage, especially his k/bb ratio....He hasn't even shown any improvement on that through his stops through the minors.

I hope we don't end up with a SS who can go deep but has a .300-.325 on base percentage, thats my biggest fear when talking about Wood.

I'd be a little more optimistic about him if he'd shown improvement in this area along the way...but he hasn't, therefore I'm a bit guarded here.

What are you talking about!! We have the Crow to instill a patient approach at the plate. :D

So we're only going to judge player's one aspect of their game now and disregard all other facets they bring to the table?

No but OBP is the most important aspect.

But you are right, you can't discount everything else.

But Wood is going to have to play good defense and give us a 500+ slugging to justify a lot of K's and a low OBP.

I think he can do that though.

Not neccassarily.

The Marlins seem to be asking for too much and it may open the door to other teams to trade for MCab.

The Dodgers may just get Bedard and sign Rowand or A Jones.

We're asking for the same as the Marlins, and apparently AM won't trade Bedard without getting a "king's ransom." Between us and the Marlins, who do you think wants this trade more? They'll blink first. Tejada goes to the Angels and the Marlins realize there isn't much of a fight for MCab anymore.

We've been hoping for a top five prospect and a second serviceable player for Miggy and that's what this deal is.

Despite enormous potential, Wood has warts and I would prefer someone with less upside and more likelihood of being a solid everyday player at the league minimum. Wood may not work out at ss, etc, we'll see. The guy does have massive potential and he'll be cheap for several years.

I think people are underestimating Saunders. This guy appears capable of pitching 175 innings with a sub-5 ERA. So, he's no one's ace, but he's a lot better than last year garbage or 2006's RLopez. He's probably no one's 3, but he's not pitching so far outside range of expectations for Arrietta and Olson right now.

Strategically, I like the offer. It starts to force the hands of the Dodgers and Angels. The Angels could accept or they could re-focus with the Marlins and push the Dodgers to us. I also like the fact that we are dealing Miggy first, before EB. If we end up keeping one of the two, I'd prefer the better player - Bedard.

No but OBP is the most important aspect.

But you are right, you can't discount everything else.

But Wood is going to have to play good defense and give us a 500+ slugging to justify a lot of K's and a low OBP.

I think he can do that though.

It sure is but he has the potential to be something pretty rare: A power hitting shortstop. I think his potential is to be exactly what Tejada was in his prime: An average to good defensive ss who can ops in the 850-900 range. And, of course, he can do it cheaply for the next six years.

So we're only going to judge player's one aspect of their game now and disregard all other facets they bring to the table?

No, but I am going to point out one thing, his inefficiency to get on base at a good clip, especially when it's an area that this team is lacking. I'll also point out that he doesn't strike out a lot, but an excessive amount...and doesn't walk NEARLY enough to balance that out.

Okay, so that's two things.

So I see a free swinger that doesn't know how to take a walk. But if you're going to drool at his slugging (one aspect to my two aspects), go ahead...

We're asking for the same as the Marlins, and apparently AM won't trade Bedard without getting a "king's ransom." Between us and the Marlins, who do you think wants this trade more? They'll blink first. Tejada goes to the Angels and the Marlins realize there isn't much of a fight for MCab anymore.

The Marlins want a 4th player.....And there has been talk they want Billingsley.

Of course, we have no idea where the truth lies except it does seem that they want 4 players for MCab.

Archived