Would you trade Wieters straight-up for anyone in the game?

Greg Pappas

Would you trade Wieters straight-up for anyone in the game?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Wieters straight-up for anyone in the game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I absolutely love MW, but voting "No" in this scenario is saying that you think he is the best all around player in MLB (age accounted for). I think that's a little ridiculous. Especially considering that there were bust threads going on during last season.

No it isn't. I would agree that certain pitchers are better but the increased injury risk would lead me to prefer a position player. I could think that Pujols is the superior player but have concerns about his age.

Greg, I understand why the question and the post. Unfortunately, unlike the Yankees the Orioles are nowhere in the position to be able to even think about this hypothetical situation. Personally, I would never trade MW for just one player, such as Verlander, Halliday, etc. I would trade him only if you got 1 top 20 and another top 50 or better prospects plus a starter in the majors. Because of how important pitching is for the future of the Orioles, a catcher who is a gold glove caliber player, who shuts down the running game, and isn't a liability at the plate is more valuable than just one other person. But, if you flip the question and said if we had Verlander would you trade him for MW? My answer again would still be no. Trading 1 for 1 isn't in the Orioles best interest to compete in the AL East at this moment with a player that would be considered in the top 3 in his position. Now if he was in the last year of his contract and the Orioles were losing him, then it would be a no brainer to trade for a young guy like Seattle did with the Yankees. I voted no.

If you're talking about trading someone straight up for someone else (contracts not a factor), the person you say "no" to is essentially your opinion of the best player. The fact that you have injury concerns about pitchers just lowers them in your rankings of the best player.

Put it another way... If you could start a franchise with any one player, who would it be? If you voted "No", you're saying MW.

It would be hard to do, but I would at least consider/analyze the possibility for any team offering:

Jeremy Hellickson

Joey Votto

Justin Verlander

Felix Hernandez

IMO, Wieters value will increase significantly this coming season.

Jeremy Hellickson is far and away the worst player mentioned in this thread....By Far.....I wouldn't trade Zach Britton for him let alone MW.

I doubt anyone really believes Wieters is the best player in baseball but given the context of each team's situation he may have more potential value to this team than any other player does to theirs. The Orioles' focus on building a nucleus around a young talented pitching core would benefit more from a catcher with Matt's skills than an elite player at any other position.

Archived