I really like what Duquette is doing

connja

Antonelli has never had an extended look at the ML. He may have minor league OBP but how will he stack up against Sabathia, Beckett, or Price?

Flaherty has never been to the majors and put up a .277 OBP in AAA. Enough said.

I'm not particularly a negative nancy but DD addressed these things in a fantasy world.

Betemit is a decent signing but nothing to write home about.

I think you're just underscoring why DD has been talking about improving OBP more recently than he has the other issues. It's still a concern.

But also, we can increase our OBP as a team with individual improvement from existing players. As in, a new organizational approach to the plate.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More or less. But remember offense wasn't the real problem.

It was a problem. We were one run from having the worst offense in the division. We we weren't anywhere close to what the Red Sox and Yankees produced. And it's not like these guys made up with stellar fielding.

It was a problem. We were one run from having the worst offense in the division. We we weren't anywhere close to what the Red Sox and Yankees produced. And it's not like these guys made up with stellar fielding.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize the charge was for DD to turn the Baltimore Orioles into the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox in a couple of months.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize the charge was for DD to turn the Baltimore Orioles into the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox in a couple of months.

His job is to improve the team. Other than Chen I don't see much hope for any of the guys he signed or traded for this offseason. So far it looks pretty bad (the offseason) even by orioles standards.

His job is to improve the team. Other than Chen I don't see much hope for any of the guys he signed or traded for this offseason. So far it looks pretty bad (the offseason) even by orioles standards.

I understand being underwhelmed with the transactions to this point. First, the offseason isn't over. Secondly, the organizational changes he's made seem to be significant and far-reaching. That alone has me optimistic for the future. Third, well, I'm an optimist this time of year. I like what this rotation could be. I don't care about the names, but I can honestly see having decent starting pitching this year. I think the bullpen looks as good as it ever has at this point in the year. I also think we will be a better defensive team than last year.

I think you're just underscoring why DD has been talking about improving OBP more recently than he has the other issues. It's still a concern.

But also, we can increase our OBP as a team with individual improvement from existing players. As in, a new organizational approach to the plate.

It was in reply to a statement that tried to spin improvement on these OBP type acquisitions. Sure, potential is what you make of it as a fan but with that being said...these players are not an improvement.

I agree about the organizational approach and I think DD and Buck will both make sure this idea follows through but its like we signed anyone with a history of getting on base in the majors.

I agree about the organizational approach and I think DD and Buck will both make sure this idea follows through but its like we signed anyone with a history of getting on base in the majors.

I thought we agreed on Betimit.

Each move he has made (possibly excluding Chen) could be characterized as marginal. But, you have to find out how the pieces fit together. Have you made moves that allow the players who were here before to take on appropriate roles, in which they will perform better? Have you given the manager better options for late-game situations? Are you better able to mix-and-match against your opposition? have you found a player from another organization who was poorly utilized by his old team or who has not had the right opportunity?

I'm not saying these pieces fit together better than last year's. I'm saying I can't really tell. I do think our pitching will be better, from additions, internal improvement, and more competition. As to the offense, it is hard to say for sure. Defense is probably marginally improved, but the big issue is whether Reynolds performs better at 3B.

I like the international scouting efforts, but we really don't know if those are quality moves or just moves. Time will tell.

Besides that, I am just not sure how you can be excited unless you find watching Harry Potter or playing with your TI-85 is exciting.

A big snore fest.

Rather than worry about our backup catcher or acquire a 30 year old 4th outfielder, I'd much rather we spend our resources to bring in young talent who might be with this team when it is a contender.

I can't think of one player move that went in this direction.

it's a 2 step process to get young talent. First acquire depth, second trade that depth for young talent. The second step is dependent on the first doing well. it's a numbers game, and we signed a lot of players.

that is the approach to acquiring young talent. the only other way we could get young talent is to trade our own young talent for more of it, but that would be counter productive. there really is no 'young' talent available as free agents. so how else would we get it?

it's a 2 step process to get young talent. First acquire depth, second trade that depth for young talent. The second step is dependent on the first doing well. it's a numbers game, and we signed a lot of players.

that is the approach to acquiring young talent. the only other way we could get young talent is to trade our own young talent for more of it, but that would be counter productive. there really is no 'young' talent available as free agents. so how else would we get it?

Some people will never get it. No use in arguing with them They expect Rome to be built in a day. We have done some good things, but we werent going to sign Prince Fielder. We look to be in prime position to add Edwin Jackson which would allow us to move a pitcher if we get the right deal. Our biggest problem was starting pitching if our starters especially matusz britton or arrieta can take the next step we will be a better team. Will we win the division or even finish out of last place? maybe not but some of you are totally out of touch with reality if you think we could fix this mess in one off season given how badly the pitchers performed last year.

I'm not with the opening post or this post at all. If we were a playoff contender, I'd be on board with these modest improvements. Sadly, we're not and these players -- if they work out -- might get us an extra win or two which I don't find particularly important.

It would be a shock if Chen, Wada or Eveland pitched 200 big league innings this year. It's pretty sad when we're projecting big things about a Rule V guy.

Rather than worry about our backup catcher or acquire a 30 year old 4th outfielder, I'd much rather we spend our resources to bring in young talent who might be with this team when it is a contender.

I can't think of one player move that went in this direction.

What resources is he spending?

He knows exactly what we all know: 2012 is not going to be a winning season. Any good that comes from this year will be in getting the young starters on the right track and finding answers to some of the problems this team needs to solve:

Can Reynolds stick at third base?

Can Davis hit enough to play first or DH?

Can Andino replace Roberts for the near-future, or if not him can Antonelli or Flaherty win the job?

Is Reimold a major-league outfielder?

And so on.

The other realistic option is to spend money on more expensive players who will only provide a few additional wins on their own but restrict the ability of the team to find answers to the problems.

Spending a few bucks on Chavez and Betemit give the club flexibility and depth without blocking anyone who is truly ready to play in the majors. Teagarden could be the backup catcher for several years. The Asian pitchers look like good bets to help the staff in the near future.

Plus, if the Orioles really do make moves for younger talent--trading Guthrie and Jones and maybe Reynolds or Markakis--there are replacements in place so, for example, they don't have to waste value on someone like Prado if they don't think he's more than a guy to fill a hole.

I'm not going to argue whether or not certain moves should have been made already. I'm a "judge the off-season at the end" guy, but I know a lot of people cannot help themselves. I will argue that no move made this off-season is preventing the Orioles from moving in a direction of trading established talent for prospects, and in fact most moves made could help that plan along if that is the direction the team chooses.

Archived