CF Jones

3B Reynolds

SS Hardy

C Wieters

LF Reimold

1B Davis

2B Antonelli/Andino/Flaherty

Jones is not a #3 hitter and is better suited for #5

Reynolds should be near the bottom of the order.

Reimold/Davis/Betemit and our 2B crew are basically better served as depth, not starters for a competitive team.

We lost Scott, Vlad, Lee and even though they were not setting the world on fire last year, we still haven't adequately replaced them.

How are we supposed to be over .500 with this lineup especially with the collection of #4 starters we are putting in our rotation?

The offense has to be fixed as it is likely worse than last years.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is just a terrible lineup going into 2012 IMO:

DH Betemit

RF Markakis

CF Jones

3B Reynolds

SS Hardy

C Wieters

LF Reimold

1B Davis

Reimold/Davis/Betemit and our 2B crew are basically better served as depth, not starters.

We lost Scott, Vlad, Lee and even though they were not setting the world on fire last year, we still haven't adequately replaced them.

How are we supposed to be over .500 with this lineup especially with the collection of #4 starters we are putting in our rotation?

Losing those three is a net win...

Losing those three is a net win...

We haven't replaced their production though. That's a problem if we want the offense to be even better this year.

We are depending on a ton of guys to step up or rebound.

That hasn't worked well for us in the past.

DH Betemit

RF Markakis

CF Jones

3B Reynolds

SS Hardy

C Wieters

LF Reimold

1B Davis

Reimold/Davis/Betemit and our 2B crew are basically better served as depth, not starters for a competitive team.

I don't understand. Are you criticizing you're own lineup?

We haven't replaced their production though. That's a problem if we want the offense to be even better this year.

We are depending on a ton of guys to step up or rebound.

That hasn't worked well for us in the past.

Kind of funny coming from Mr. Addition by Subtraction...

I just put up a thread showing that ZiPS, Bill James and Rotochamp project the team OPS at .730, .749 and .740, respectively. Last year we were at .729 which put us 7th in runs scored. No reason to expect the offense to be worse than last year's, and it could be a little better.

The Third Spot

The old-school book says to put your best high-average hitter here. The lead-off hitter should already be in scoring position and a hit drives him in. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

The Book says the #3 hitter comes to the plate with, on average, fewer runners on base than the #4 or #5 hitters. So why focus on putting a guy who can knock in runs in the #3 spot, when the two spots after him can benefit from it more? Surprisingly, because he comes to bat so often with two outs and no runners on base, the #3 hitter isn't nearly as important as we think. This is a spot to fill after more important spots are taken care of.

The Number Five Guy

The old-school book says the number five guy is a wannabe cleanup hitter.

The Book says the #5 guy can provide more value than the #3 guy with singles, doubles, triples, and walks, and avoiding outs, although the #3 guy holds an advantage with homeruns. After positions #1, #2, and #4 are filled, put your next best hitter here, unless he lives and dies with the long ball.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

You were saying?

You might want to research actual studies on lineup optimization before starting a post about it.

I just put up a thread showing that ZiPS, Bill James and Rotochamp project the team OPS at .730, .749 and .740, respectively. Last year we were at .729 which put us 7th in runs scored. No reason to expect the offense to be worse than last year's, and it could be a little better.

We can live with that, honestly. It'd be nice to add more, but it isn't happening, so Trea should really move on (in more ways than one).

If we finish >= .500 it will be because our pitching stepped up.

A little better isn't going to cut it with the pitching staff we have now.

DH Betemit

RF Markakis

CF Jones

3B Reynolds

SS Hardy

C Wieters

LF Reimold

1B Davis

I'm not saying that I think the offense is good, I don't think it is even though last year's offense was league average and I think this year's lineup, as you constructed it is, IMHO, just as good and possibly better.

Scott and Roberts were non factors last season.

Betemit, I think, will be better then Vlad.

Chris Davis, I think, can be better then the 2011 version of DLee.

That being said, I don't expect Markakis to be ready by Opening Day and we will see just how little offensive depth we have without Nick in the lineup. So yeah, I'd like to see a little more done. Hoping DD is not finished adding pieces, but I suspect we might be.

A little better isn't going to cut it with the pitching staff we have now.

Our team is not very good, pitching or hitting. Plan B is probably Manny after 50 games.

Since this whole addition by subtraction thing is working so well, perhaps we should cut the 40-man to 0:)

Based on what?

I'll take Betemit, Reimold, and Davis over what those 3 provided last year.

They should be able to do better than a .3 oWAR.

I can see not being thrilled with having those 3 being the primary replacements, but I don't see why you'd think they'll actually be worse.

Archived