Russ Canzler put on waivers (update: Indians acquire Canzler)

.500_OR_BETTER

He's intriguing, but just compare to Chris Davis. They were both in AAA last year, but Davis out-OPS'd him by 300 points. Canzler just hit AAA at 25, Davis was a productive major leaguer at 22.

If you can stash him away in AAA or something like that I'd love to have him as deep depth. But I'm not seeing the case (not that it can't be made) to put him above Davis on the depth chart.

Why are we putting him OVER Davis by picking him up? (Plus I was counting on you to say how his numbers as the IL MVP would have been "x" in the PCL! :)). I think the fact that he is RH is what makes him so attractive to us. A possible solution at RH DH?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are we putting him OVER Davis by picking him up? (Plus I was counting on you to say how his numbers as the IL MVP would have been "x" in the PCL! :)). I think the fact that he is RH is what makes him so attractive to us. A possible solution at RH DH?

What's his roster situation? If he can be demoted, used as Norfolk's first baseman, I said I'd like to pick him up.

What's his roster situation? If he can be demoted, used as Norfolk's first baseman, I said I'd like to pick him up.

Not sure. I got the impression it was a 40 man issue, but NOT an options issue. We certainly have space on the 40 man for his potential? Seems like a Snyder replacement with more upside.

I posted this in the "potential targets" thread, but basically from the Orioles perspective I think we should be targeting him regardless of his situation with the option. Obviously it would be better if he had one, but we could definitely find a place to use him on our ML squad.

I don't think it's important whether or not Canzler has an option. As the team is currently constructed, Canzler makes more sense to have than Jai Miller. Canzler has some strikeout issues of his own, but statistically (I don't know anything about scouting-wise) his skillset looks much more likely to translate to major league success than Miller's. His RH DH/1B bat is likely to be more valuable to the current team than Miller's role as a RH 5th OF. And if Markakis starts the year on the DL, we can evaluate both at the ML level. Also, if we trade Jones for pitching, for instance, Miller makes the team whether or not we have Canzler.

I posted this in the "potential targets" thread, but basically from the Orioles perspective I think we should be targeting him regardless of his situation with the option. Obviously it would be better if he had one, but we could definitely find a place to use him on our ML squad.

Miller has extreme power and some definite swing flaws. I assume he does not make the team if Nick is ready to go.

I really don't see a place on this team for a DH only guy that cannot be demoted. I am not sure that our forty man can hold him If we are keeping Brian Roberts.

After some mediocre years in the minors, it appears that something clicked offensively for Canzler the last two years in AA and AAA. He can play the corner positions in both the IF and OF, and he's only 25 years old. He is exactly the kind of young player the Orioles should grab.

After some mediocre years in the minors, it appears that something clicked offensively for Canzler the last two years in AA and AAA. He can play the corner positions in both the IF and OF, and he's only 25 years old. He is exactly the kind of young player the Orioles should grab.
If he really can play 3B and COF decently I would be all for him over Miller. But can he?

Miller has extreme power and some definite swing flaws. I assume he does not make the team if Nick is ready to go.

I really don't see a place on this team for a DH only guy that cannot be demoted. I am not sure that our forty man can hold him If we are keeping Brian Roberts.

Really?

Right now our starting 9 vs RHP are:

C Wieters, 1B Davis, 2B Andino, SS Hardy, 3B Reynolds, LF Reimold, CF Jones, RF Markakis, DH Betemit

On the bench, Teagarden and Chavez are locks for backup catcher and 4th OF, respectively.

One bench spot is going to go to a middle infielder: one of Antonelli, Flaherty, or Adams. If by some miracle Roberts can play, Andino gets bumped to this spot.

The last spot is up for grabs. Another 2B type doesn't make much sense. Backup at all the up-the-middle positions is covered. We have two hitters in Davis and Betemit who are likely to be weak options against LHP. The last bench spot would be best utilized with a strong RH hitter, regardless of what position he can play. With that player, only one of Davis or Betemit will still be in the lineup against LHP (unless you want to put the bench MI in at 2B or 3B and move Reynolds to 1B or DH).

So the question would then be, is Jai Miller a better option for this spot than Canzler? Miller has huge power but also huge holes in his swing. Canzler has a massive advantage in OBP (which DD is focusing on) and a significantly lower K%. They have very similar career trajectories in terms of something clicking for them late in their minor league careers, and are at similar ages.

Is Miller's defensive advantage worth the likely dropoff in offense? Presumably we could play him in LF and DH Reimold vs lefties. It's really a preference judgement by DD and Buck, but considering we have Chavez to backup CF and pinch run (and Angle in the minor leagues, who basically has a near-identical skill-set), alot of Miller's advantage as a bench player on our squad over Canzler is negated.

No updates on my pet signee?! lol I can't find anything.

I gotta think he'd a really cheap Jake Fox with upside! (and don't u dare say Fox can Catch!:P)

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/27/rays-make-room-for-jeff-keppinger-by-dropping-triple-a-mvp-russ-canzler/

I think Tampa actually has up to 10 days after they DFA to place him on waivers, someone will pick this kid up.

Archived