Rosenthal: O's and A's are teams most interested in Manny Ramirez

ChaosLex

Your post was forehead-into-wall worthy because it basically ignores recent history while claiming to be completely mindful of recent history (i.e., "look at all those failed prospects"...well, look at Vlad and Derrek Lee). Manny would simply serve no purpose on this team whatsoever. The odds are WAY against his being productive, given his age and probable lack of performance enhancers. He couldn't play the field even as a younger, "pumped up" player, so he'd have to be a DH of next-to-no value. He's not someone you want "mentoring" younger players in any capacity. He wouldn't generate a ton of fan interest because he's over the hill, his reputation is awful, and the O's would be just as awful (in a different sense) regardless of his presence. And he'd be taking up a roster spot when other, most likely even cheaper, players could match of exceed his "shadow-of-former-self" production.

Hoping the O's sign him is tantamount to saying "so...just found the escape hatch to that bomb shelter...anything interesting happen over the last, I dunno, decade or so?"

Okay, my friend. i didn't say we should sign him. I didn't say he's gonna hit 30 home runs. I'm saying his price tag is likely to be low relative to his performance potential. Basic economics... most teams aren't going to pursue him because of his baggage...Lower demand=lower cost. I'm not advocating the Orioles sign him; I don't think the baggage is worth the risk...I'm just saying whatever abilities he has left can be had at a price tag below other past-their-prime players.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, my friend. i didn't say we should sign him. I didn't say he's gonna hit 30 home runs. I'm saying his price tag is likely to be low relative to his performance potential. Basic economics... most teams aren't going to pursue him because of his baggage...Lower demand=lower cost. I'm not advocating the Orioles sign him; I don't think the baggage is worth the risk...I'm just saying whatever abilities he has left can be had at a price tag below other past-their-prime players.

Which still doesn't make pursuing him a good idea...or anything remotely resembling a good idea. However, if your argument was limited to economic facts, as opposed to advocating his signing with the Orioles, I rescind my earlier comments ;)

Don't forget that earlier this off-season we sent scouts to the mini-golf course to watch Manny in the batting cages.

Yeah, but playing the mini-golf course was more interesting to the scouts than watching Manny hit. Seriously, I just don't see this guy being signed by anyone. His production was off before he was caught using PED's. I predict Manny's playing time will be limited to independent leagues from this point forward.

Guest rochester

re: Manny.. it is incredibly embarrassing to be mentioned...

re: Cornelius - yea, too soon... and not sure where that analogy came from

Which still doesn't make pursuing him a good idea...or anything remotely resembling a good idea. However, if your argument was limited to economic facts, as opposed to advocating his signing with the Orioles, I rescind my earlier comments ;)

I respect any team pragmatic enough to consider it. Actually signing him is another story. It might make sense for some teams. I like the idea of it because it could be a cool story of redemption, but if most of O's fandom doesn't see it that way, then it's probably not worth pursuing him.

If he goes elsewhere I would not consider that a loss.

The "don't worry" part of my statement was meant to express that this is one time that not getting a free agent will benefit us. I have no interest WHATSOEVER in getting Manny Ramirez.

The "don't worry" part of my statement was meant to express that this is one time that not getting a free agent will benefit us. I have no interest WHATSOEVER in getting Manny Ramirez.

I know....I wasn't disagreeing with you....I just said it a little snarky....no offense

Adam Jones' value just increased.

I don't wish any ill will Josh Hamilton's way. I truly hope this stuff is not true and he continues on his recovery.

That being said, I still feel like the Rangers would be a good fit for Jones. And...we wouldn't need to get Hamilton back in any package with them.

Archived