Bye Bye to Danny O'Brien?

Floater

DOB or Edsall for putting out a comment talking about how he didn't want to buy in to his system (which is a BS answer by the way) instead of just taking the high road and saying we wish him the best in his future endeavors like EVERY other coach says?

And all this talk about it effecting Diggs, do we know for sure that he's going to play receiver? I've heard a lot of people around the team (not official capacity) say they think he's going to play CB and only see a handfull of plays on offense.

It's directed at DOB. He's turning his back on his teammates.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the info. I know schools usually block in-conference transfers, I just didn't see the rationale to block to Vandy. When you say they're concerned about contact between Franklin and O'Brien, are you talking about a rules violation? And would that be something MD could get in trouble for?

If any conversation between Franklin and DOB prior to his release involved the possibility of him transferring to Vanderbilt, then yes it's a rules violation, but it's on Franklin and Vanderbilt, not UM.

Can anyone drop some information about the Freshman QBs coming in next season? Could either one end up the starter like DOB was as a freshman?

DOB was a redshirt freshman when he rose to starter in 2010, so he'd already been with the program for a season. These guys are coming straight from high school, and I don't believe either graduated early and are currently enrolled at UM, so they won't even have the benefit of participating in spring practice. It's an awfully tall order to expect one of them to win the starting QB job under those circumstances. That said, given CJ Brown's style of play, I'd give better than 50-50 odds one of them will have to burn a redshirt this season as his backup.

Would you say the same about all of the other transfers? How about the way Edsall "turned his back" on his players at UConn?

The other players aren't the QB, the leader of the offense. It his huddle, his team and he's spitting on their feet. I'm so very disappointed.

As for Edsall, coaches leave for greener pastures all the time. How often do you see a starting QB transfer?

The other players aren't the QB, the leader of the offense. It his huddle, his team and he's spitting on their feet. I'm so very disappointed.

As for Edsall, coaches leave for greener pastures all the time. How often do you see a starting QB transfer?

Because of the position he plays DOB is less entitled than the other players to do what he thinks is in his best interest? I don't get that. And your second part reeks of the double-standard that is so pervasive in college sports nowadays.

Because of the position he plays DOB is less entitled than the other players to do what he thinks is in his best interest? I don't get that. And your second part reeks of the double-standard that is so pervasive in college sports nowadays.

Yes. Just like the position he plays will entitle him to more money at the next level than any other position should he get there. Comes with the territory. He's obviously free to do what he pleases but the QB positions is one of leadership and he's turning his back on his teammates.

Dunno what to tell you about the second part but it is what it is. Life's not fair. These coaches often move on for more money and a better opportunity on a bigger stage. This isn't the case with a college athlete who (ideally) shouldn't have any financial incentive.

It's directed at DOB. He's turning his back on his teammates.

No he's not, most of them are leaving with him ;) There was a very large group of players that bonded over the dislike for the coaching regime and Edsall in particular, most of them have left already and a few are staying because they are going into their last year and don't want to uproot before it.

How can you blame him for not trying to find a situation where he can play and attempt to build his standing back up. This kid's career was being put in jeopardy by Edsall, and the only chance he has to boost his stock again is to go somewhere else. He NEVER would have come here if RE was the coach when he was being recruited (That part is a direct quote.)

Yes. Just like the position he plays will entitle him to more money at the next level than any other position should he get there. Comes with the territory. He's obviously free to do what he pleases but the QB positions is one of leadership and he's turning his back on his teammates.

Dunno what to tell you about the second part but it is what it is. Life's not fair. These coaches often move on for more money and a better opportunity on a bigger stage. This isn't the case with a college athlete who (ideally) shouldn't have any financial incentive.

I think he has a career incentive. He's got to have a strong next season or he will be wiped off of any prospect boards anywhere. He has no chance of putting up that kind of season in the system and environment Edsall wants to run, and I think a situation like this where a player is recruited to signing with a team for very particular reasons has all of those reasons changed when a new coach comes in. It's kind of a bait and switch, and I don't blame him in the slightest for wanting to take a last chance to get back on the radar.

Locksley apparently wants to run a pro set. Perhaps the best recruit in MD history is coming on board who happens to play WR. We have a few good to great RBs coming into the fold.

I find it hard to believe that DOB could look at all of that and say "nah, I can't do well in this offense."

And getting there is the big "if" in that statement. I just can't begrudge him at all if he believes he has a much better chance of getting there than by staying at UM. It would be no different than if he was a typical engineering student who decided his best chances of landing a high-paying job out of school meant taking an opportunity to transfer to MIT....it would suck for his study partners who counted on him to help them through some tough courses, but what is he supposed to do?

And all I'm saying about the second part is that I don't understand your attitude that a coach can jump ship to what he sees as a better opportunity, and leave the players he committed to (and vice versa), but a player shouldn't? Just because the player isn't being financially compensated now (we assume) doesn't mean he shouldn't be thinking ahead to life after college....just like every college student ought to.

Locksley apparently wants to run a pro set. Perhaps the best recruit in MD history is coming on board who happens to play WR. We have a few good to great RBs coming into the fold.

I find it hard to believe that DOB could look at all of that and say "nah, I can't do well in this offense."

Me either. So maybe there's more to it?

And getting there is the big "if" in that statement. I just can't begrudge him at all if he believes he has a much better chance of getting there than by staying at UM. It would be no different than if he was a typical engineering student who decided his best chances of landing a high-paying job out of school meant taking an opportunity to transfer to MIT....it would suck for his study partners who counted on him to help them through some tough courses' date=' but what is he supposed to do?

And all I'm saying about the second part is that I don't understand your attitude that a coach can jump ship to what he sees as a better opportunity, and leave the players he committed to (and vice versa), but a player shouldn't? Just because the player isn't being financially compensated now (we assume) doesn't mean he shouldn't be thinking ahead to life after college....just like every college student ought to.[/quote']

I'm not saying it's "right" for a coach to leave. But it happens so often that it's almost the norm. Yes it's a double standard and no it's not fair. I'm just sick of Edsall taking heaps and heaps of blame for everything bad that happens. DOB transferring is on DOB, nobody else.

MD lands Diggs and it's all Locksley's doing. DOB leaves and it's Edsall to blame. Hell Edsall can't even properly bid DOB farewell!

It gets old.

I'm not saying it's "right" for a coach to leave. But it happens so often that it's almost the norm. Yes it's a double standard and no it's not fair. I'm just sick of Edsall taking heaps and heaps of blame for everything bad that happens. DOB transferring is on DOB, nobody else.

MD lands Diggs and it's all Locksley's doing. DOB leaves and it's Edsall to blame. Hell Edsall can't even properly bid DOB farewell!

It gets old.

Which brings us to the other double-standard. As the leader and "sole voice of the program", and the guy who got the 6-year $12 million contract, Edsall will be the one who takes the heat for the team's failures, right or wrong. And while coaching transitions usually result in player turnover (no one blinked last year when 12 players with eligibility remaining left the program) the fact that 12 more players are leaving after one year into Edsall's tenure is definitely shining a public spotlight on him and how he has handled the transition.

Which brings us to the other double-standard. As the leader and "sole voice of the program"' date=' and the guy who got the 6-year $12 million contract, Edsall will be the one who takes the heat for the team's failures, right or wrong. And while coaching transitions usually result in player turnover (no one blinked last year when 12 players with eligibility remaining left the program) the fact that 12 more players are leaving after one year into Edsall's tenure is definitely shining a public spotlight on him and how he has handled the transition.[/quote']

Honestly, considering we just got one of our best recruiting classes in ages if not history, I'm willing to give Edsall a few years before I start calling for his head. Is it not possible that this guy is holding these kids accountable? Or that he isn't playing favorites? None of the guys leaving are "his" guys. If his recruits start leaving mass exodus, then yes, I agree, but honestly, this program is on academic probation. None of us are in the clubhouse or know any players or coaches to get the inside source.

Archived