Bye Bye to Danny O'Brien?

Floater

Stanford runs a pro-style offense, and has an opening....

Long way from Kernersville, NC.

DOB is a decent QB who had one pretty good year and one not so good year. I'm not sure why he gets so overrated...maybe it's because he was surrounded by so little talent that he seemed better than he was (sort of like the least ugly girl in a group of really ugly girls). He would have been better in a pro style offense than he was in whatever that offense was the ran last year. But he's not the second coming of Peyton Manning.

Well he gets a bit of a pass because everyone wants to blame Edsall for everything. Be interesting to see how the fans would have responded had he had the same season with Ralph still here. But certainly an argument can be made that maybe he wouldn't have had a season like that if Ralph were still here.

But also, you can see that he does have the ability to make just about any throw he needs. He just wasn't able to do it at all consistently last year.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DOB is a decent QB who had one pretty good year and one not so good year. I'm not sure why he gets so overrated...maybe it's because he was surrounded by so little talent that he seemed better than he was (sort of like the least ugly girl in a group of really ugly girls). He would have been better in a pro style offense than he was in whatever that offense was the ran last year. But he's not the second coming of Peyton Manning.

I kinda feel the same way. I'm fine with blaming the offense scheme for some of DOB's problems, but I saw several games last year where DOB was just plain inaccurate. Let's not candy coat it, DOB had a terrible year last year. I would hope he could be the guy in Locksley's offense, but if he chooses a fresh start, the world is not going to end on MD football. Besides, we can't get much worse than last year anyways.

While certainly not the end, I do think DOB leaving would set the program back another couple years. Their best chance at a turnaround this coming season is with DOB, assuming he turns it around himself, and a return to a pro-style offense w/Locksley might be just what he needs. Let's face it, the team isn't going anywhere with CJ Brown as the full-time starter. And it would take at least a year, probably two, before you would want to turn over the offense to one of the HS kids that just signed. I think a lot hangs in the balance for Edsall on this decision, because as bad as the heat was on him for last season, I'm not sure he would survive another season like it.

Because that good year was as a Freshman, where if left in the same system with the same coach you would expect him to improve, since no one can figure out of it was him or the coaching people want to rationalize it by saying oh he was ok, he wasn't amazing.

I will go on record and say if things stayed the same he would have been the best QB out of MD in over 15 years. No one is trying to compare him to the elite superstar college QB, but he was clearly a good QB and getting better and then had a sudden fall-off with a new coach he and more than half the team doesn't like. I don't know why people just assume it's just because he wasn't that good. Is it because people are just so beaten down by the O's sucking so long that we expect everything to suck for every team we like?

Because that good year was as a Freshman, where if left in the same system with the same coach you would expect him to improve, since no one can figure out of it was him or the coaching people want to rationalize it by saying oh he was ok, he wasn't amazing.

I will go on record and say if things stayed the same he would have been the best QB out of MD in over 15 years. No one is trying to compare him to the elite superstar college QB, but he was clearly a good QB and getting better and then had a sudden fall-off with a new coach he and more than half the team doesn't like. I don't know why people just assume it's just because he wasn't that good. Is it because people are just so beaten down by the O's sucking so long that we expect everything to suck for every team we like?

The problems I saw with him last year didn't appear to be system-dependent really. He just made bad throws, and he lacked accuracy. I don't think he was as bad as he was last year, but I also don't expect to all of a sudden be better than he was his freshmen year. IMO, he's a decent QB. Which is certainly better than anything we have if he transfers. But, I don't see him as some elite talent either. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe all of his deficiencies last year were a result of a new system. I hope he stays and that turns out to be the case. It would be nice to have a good QB throwing to Diggs.

The problems I saw with him last year didn't appear to be system-dependent really. He just made bad throws, and he lacked accuracy. I don't think he was as bad as he was last year, but I also don't expect to all of a sudden be better than he was his freshmen year. IMO, he's a decent QB. Which is certainly better than anything we have if he transfers. But, I don't see him as some elite talent either. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe all of his deficiencies last year were a result of a new system. I hope he stays and that turns out to be the case. It would be nice to have a good QB throwing to Diggs.

His problems stemmed from him being very uncertain about his reads IMO. All season he was lost in his progressions and that will make almost all QBs look like a middle school QB. I do think it was somewhat system related, but the system seemed very simple and if he is a good QB he should have made the adjustment IMO.

His problems stemmed from him being very uncertain about his reads IMO. All season he was lost in his progressions and that will make almost all QBs look like a middle school QB. I do think it was somewhat system related, but the system seemed very simple and if he is a good QB he should have made the adjustment IMO.

His receivers dropped a lot of passes too.

His receivers dropped a lot of passes too.

That is a good point, and that did affect CJB as well.

I want Danny to come back, but I have to admit that having CJB, Wes Brown and Stefon Diggs all on the field is a pretty intriguing thought. Problem is that there's no way CJB can make it through a whole season healthy with the way he plays.

That is a good point, and that did affect CJB as well.

I want Danny to come back, but I have to admit that having CJB, Wes Brown and Stefon Diggs all on the field is a pretty intriguing thought. Problem is that there's no way CJB can make it through a whole season healthy with the way he plays.

Mic Locksley is installing a pro style offense then Brown is screwed. He doesn't have the ability to run that style. O'Brien is the best option. Hopefully Diggs singning gets him to stay.

Keith Cavanaugh of the Terrapin Times said O'Brien and his family will think things over this weekend and will let MD know on Monday of his decision. I was surprised how poorly he played last season and said to friends a number of times while watching games he may be color blind because he was throwing interceptions to the other teams and sometimes there was no MD receiver in the area. He may have vision problems that can be corrected with contacts. You don't suddenly lose your focus and accuracy unless he was injured or there is a vision problem. I hope he stays and can correct his problems.

Archived