Bye Bye to Danny O'Brien?

Floater

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, considering we just got one of our best recruiting classes in ages if not history, I'm willing to give Edsall a few years before I start calling for his head. Is it not possible that this guy is holding these kids accountable? Or that he isn't playing favorites? None of the guys leaving are "his" guys. If his recruits start leaving mass exodus, then yes, I agree, but honestly, this program is on academic probation. None of us are in the clubhouse or know any players or coaches to get the inside source.

Where to begin? I'll start with your first statement by citing stats already posted by BaltimoreTerp and section18:

2010 (Friedgen's last class) was 36th. Edsall's class last year was 43.

2009 - 26

2008 - 38

2007 - 35

2006 - 29

And so on.

Keith of the Terrapin Times said Saturday that MD would probably block a transfer of DOB to Vanderbilt. He also said the Diggs signing jumped MD's recruiting class from 45 to 35.

So to put it more accurately, MD signed one recruit who might be the best they got in ages if not history. However, the overall class is probably lower than the average was in Friedgen's final years, as far as its national ranking.

As for the transfers, like I said there is nothing unusual to see an exodus right after a new coach takes over. What seems unusual to me is that after a full season with the new staff many of them are still choosing to leave. And I don't think it has anything to do with Edsall "playing favorites" since more than a couple of them were starters or got significant playing time this past season.

I think it was Bear Bryant who said something to the effect of a good coach can not only take his players and beat yours, but he could take yours and beat his. I think there's a deeper meaning to that than just a coach's ability to do X's and O's with whatever players he has, but also speaks to his ability to adapt to situations and personnel that he inherited as well as the situations he creates for himself....and I truly believe that is where Edsall has been weak.

Where to begin? I'll start with your first statement by citing stats already posted by BaltimoreTerp and section18:

So to put it more accurately' date=' MD signed one recruit who might be the best they got in ages if not history. However, the overall class is probably lower than the average was in Friedgen's final years, as far as its national ranking.

As for the transfers, like I said there is nothing unusual to see an exodus right after a new coach takes over. What seems unusual to me is that after a full season with the new staff many of them are still choosing to leave. And I don't think it has anything to do with Edsall "playing favorites" since more than a couple of them were starters or got significant playing time this past season.

I think it was Bear Bryant who said something to the effect of a good coach can not only take his players and beat yours, but he could take yours and beat his. I think there's a deeper meaning to that than just a coach's ability to do X's and O's with whatever players he has, but also speaks to his ability to adapt to situations and personnel that he inherited as well as the situations he creates for himself....and I truly believe that is where Edsall has been weak.[/quote']

Actually I was trying to say the opposite in this guy doesn't play favorites. Secondly you act as if DOB is a blue chip, prized prospect. He wasn't touted coming out of high school and the organization is not going to be any worse without him, especially if he is more of the DOB of last year and not the ROY which having followed sports, I know kids can have "fluke" seasons. Seriously, control your rager for DOB. Max Garcia left because of homesickness. You make this out like its a huge deal and it's not.

Actually I was trying to say the opposite in this guy doesn't play favorites. Secondly you act as if DOB is a blue chip, prized prospect. He wasn't touted coming out of high school and the organization is not going to be any worse without him, especially if he is more of the DOB of last year and not the ROY which having followed sports, I know kids can have "fluke" seasons. Seriously, control your rager for DOB. Max Garcia left because of homesickness. You make this out like its a huge deal and it's not.

Since I also clearly stated that I don't think Edsall "played favorites" I get the sense you didn't actually read my post that you quoted.

Would you kindly point out where I stated that O'Brien's "a blue chip, prized prospect" or made any comment whatsoever about how he was rated coming out of high school (not that it has much to do with the discussion)? I clearly thought that having him as the starting QB this season was the best chance that MD had at a turnaround, especially with Locksley's stated intention of using a pro-style offense. Rage? :rolleyes: No. Just disappointment in how this has all unfolded.

As for Max Garcia, I'm sure it's plausible that he left simply due to homesickness, although I would think homesickness is much less common for a player that's already spent two years at a school, as opposed to a freshman just out of HS.

Since I also clearly stated that I don't think Edsall "played favorites" I get the sense you didn't actually read my post that you quoted.

Would you kindly point out where I stated that O'Brien's "a blue chip' date=' prized prospect" or made any comment whatsoever about how he was rated coming out of high school (not that it has much to do with the discussion)? I clearly thought that having him as the starting QB this season was the best chance that MD had at a turnaround, especially with Locksley's stated intention of using a pro-style offense. Rage? :rolleyes: No. Just disappointment in how this has all unfolded.

As for Max Garcia, I'm sure it's plausible that he left simply due to homesickness, although I would think homesickness is much less common for a player that's already spent two years at a school, as opposed to a freshman just out of HS.[/quote']

I read your "I don't think he is playing favorites" line as if I had said he was. I may have gotten your his starting giving us the best chance of winning confused with blue chipper prospect because you seemed to be glorifying him. And as for Max Garcia, it is very plausible. Going to a military service academy, I had 3 or 4 classmates that I know of who left sophomore year because they were homesick. The academy lifestyle didn't allow much time for being home. We only got 6 weeks a calendar year to go home to our families, and that made these kids realize they needed to be closer to their family, especially since they were their support network. So I do find that extremely plausible as football on a division 1 level is extremely time consuming. I applaud Edsall for being so truthful. If I had to take a bet on why DOb left, my guess is he didn't want to compete for the starting job and there was a personal dispute and that is why Edsall was disappointed. Almost every other player he has wished the best for, except DOB where he was disappointed and I don't blame him when DOB did this less than a month from spring practice.

I'm not saying it's "right" for a coach to leave. But it happens so often that it's almost the norm. Yes it's a double standard and no it's not fair. I'm just sick of Edsall taking heaps and heaps of blame for everything bad that happens. DOB transferring is on DOB, nobody else.

MD lands Diggs and it's all Locksley's doing. DOB leaves and it's Edsall to blame. Hell Edsall can't even properly bid DOB farewell!

It gets old.

Not so much fun on the defensive, is it?

Surprised? Yes! What does this tell you about DOB? He has a big EGO and thinks he's going to the NFL for millions of dollars some day. Can we all be honest? He was horrible last year. Not bad....horrible. Apparently the coaches like Brown better than him. I wonder why? He can run better than DOB. Does he throw as well? Maybe he will with more practice with the first team. I said earlier I thought DOB needed to have his eyes checked. He threw some of the worst interceptions ever seen last season. Right to the opposing player with no Terp receiver around. Was it the crazy uniforms last season? He could not tell which uniform was his? Unless I was distracted while driving I thought I heard on the radio yesterday that Franklin had sent emails to MD players. IF this is true that's an infraction against him and Vanderbiilt. He must be as bright as a burned out lightbulb.

It's easy to say this looks petty on MD's part for blocking his transfer to Vanderbilt but the rules are made for a reason. If Franklin wants to clean house and raid the MD team this puts the program in a big hole, can cost the school a lot of money and gives him an advantage. I'm surprised at the radio guys in town that I like siding with DOB. They are basically saying MD has to play by the rules and Franklins team can do what they want. Someone asked whether the block was done by Edsall, the AD or someone higher up? My guess is the AD. Maybe we can get the answer to this by someone else on OH. Of the 24 that have left the program so far does anyone know how many transferred to Vanderbilt?

I also recall Keith of the Terrapin Times on Saturday saying the former QB on Diggs high school team would be transferring to MD. I think they said he was at the announcement in College Park the other night.

With any regime change, personnel changes - coaches and players - normally follows. It usually also means an infusion of fresh talent, which we've seen. And as much as we may dislike the changes at Maryland, we have to give Edsall a couple of years to prove himself....or fail to do so.

O'Brien's leaving does create a gaping hole at QB which may be hard to fill this year. I suspect Edsall and Lockersly are checking for other QB's, who like O'Brien, might be transferring for some reason to set up the possibilities for next year.

With any regime change, personnel changes - coaches and players - normally follows. It usually also means an infusion of fresh talent, which we've seen. And as much as we may dislike the changes at Maryland, we have to give Edsall a couple of years to prove himself....or fail to do so.

O'Brien's leaving does create a gaping hole at QB which may be hard to fill this year. I suspect Edsall and Lockersly are checking for other QB's, who like O'Brien, might be transferring for some reason to set up the possibilities for next year.

Good post from you. I know you were pretty outspoken about the way things were handled with Ralph, so I appreciate the level-headed response to what has gone on this offseason.

Regarding the hole at QB, I don't think the staff sees a whole there at the starting position. I think they are comfortable with CJB. The problem is that if he gets hurt, and he almost certainly will, there's nothing behind him.

I know how much you supported Fridge on this board, but are you saying that his transition into UM, when he made the most of the players he inherited and won 31 games with them in his first 3 seasons (including an ACC Championship) is more of an exception than a rule? I also don't recall a large number of players leaving after that first season under Ralph, or coaches for that matter. I don't follow enough other programs to state this unequivocally, but I would think more transitions are closer to Fridge's than Edsall's. There are national sportswriters, who otherwise would ignore a 2-10 team, that are commenting on how poorly this transition has gone. That indicates to me that this is not "normal."

I know how much you supported Fridge on this board' date=' but are you saying that his transition into UM, when he made the most of the players he inherited and won 31 games with them in his first 3 seasons (including an ACC Championship) is more of an exception than a rule? I also don't recall a large number of players leaving after that first season under Ralph, or coaches for that matter. I don't follow enough other programs to state this unequivocally, but I would think more transitions are closer to Fridge's than Edsall's. There are national sportswriters, who otherwise would ignore a 2-10 team, that are commenting on how poorly this transition has gone. That indicates to me that this is not "normal."[/quote']

Are you forgetting that there was also an AD change that preceded Ralph Friedgen firing and the hiring of Edsall. That was not the case when Fridge came to Maryland. The same thing happened to the basketball program when Williams retired. I know they lost one highly rated recruit in Sterling Gibbs, and almost lost Nick Faust, too. I'm sure there were more.

Are you forgetting that there was also an AD change that preceded Ralph Friedgen firing and the hiring of Edsall. That was not the case when Fridge came to Maryland. The same thing happened to the basketball program when Williams retired. I know they lost one highly rated recruit in Sterling Gibbs, and almost lost Nick Faust, too. I'm sure there were more.

I'm not sure what the AD change has to do with any of what I said.

As for comparing the basketball vs football transition: What I'm saying is that I think it is unusual that a year after Edsall took over players are still leaving en masse. If a similar number of players leave the basketball program after this season, I'll have the same question about Turgeon.

With Danny leaving who is going to compete with Brown for the starting gig???? I like C.J but we have to atleast have a legit back-up.

James Joseph, a transfer from Bowie State who sat out last season, is the only other scholarship QB on the roster AFAIK. I guess it'll be just him and Brown as the QBs for spring practice, although they could invite a walk-on or two to work with them this spring I suppose, just for warm bodies and spare arms. For the fall, Hills and Rowe will be there....but unless one of them really earns it with his performance, I'd hate to have to burn their redshirts over an injury simply because there was no other capable backup around.

Archived