Roch: O's and Nick Johnson closing in on minor league deal (O's sign Johnson)

ChaosLex

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Listen to the insane people here, and he's the last thing the Mayans predicted before the calendar ends.

Actually if he gets more than 500 ABs with any team we should be worried.

There's three sure things in this world: death, taxes and Nick Johnson going on the DL by June 1st.

As sad as it may be,it wouldn't surprise me if he is our best 1B come June.

This is what nobody has said... if he could be healthy by then, productive... he could be a real asset. Costs us nothing if he flops, costs us the ML minimum if he hits! :D win-win

The Orioles couldn't win 100 games with this team at AAA. You guys can. Be happy with every additional has been or never will be.

Okay, now you're just being negative to be negative, Johnny.

Fact: The O's need to build depth at the minor league level, hence deals like this. If Johnson is able to a) stay healthy and b) perform at his prior level, more the better.

Fact: The O's need to build depth at the minor league level, hence deals like this. If Johnson is able to a) stay healthy and b) perform at his prior level, more the better.

And...if he doesn't we really haven't lost a whole lot...

I honestly cannot see a downside in this move.

And...if he doesn't we really haven't lost a whole lot...

I honestly cannot see a downside in this move.

The negativity on this site lately has been astounding. We all get it, the 2012 team will probably not be much better than the 2011 team. Don't get me wrong there is plenty to complain about, but to pan bringing in a 33yr old 1B who has performed in the past (specifically in an area this team has been dreadful OBP) on a minor league contract is just people being negative to be negative.

Maybe Tony needs to lower the free post threshold.

The negativity on this site lately has been astounding. We all get it, the 2012 team will probably not be much better than the 2011 team. Don't get me wrong there is plenty to complain about, but to pan bringing in a 33yr old 1B who has performed in the past (specifically in an area this team has been dreadful OBP) on a minor league contract is just people being negative to be negative.

Maybe Tony needs to lower the free post threshold.

Sun Board refugees When they have to start paying, either we'll see a whole new crop of memberships, or a lot of this will go away,

According to his agent - no.

So basically the Indians wasted money and resources on him last year. Bet that makes them feel great...

Still if we can get the 2009 version of Nick Johnson it will help.

If I can expound on the injuries a little.

1) Nick sustained a broken femur in a collision with Austin Kearns in late 2006, had surgery, and missed the entire 2007 season.

2) In early 2008 he sustained a tear in a ligament on the ulnar side of his wrist, and missed the rest of the 2008 season. His problems since then have all been related to that same wrist injury.

3) The first wrist surgery left him with constant pain. Even so he played well in 2009.

4) After signing with the Yankees in Dec. 2009 the wrist flared up again in May 2010 and did not improve. He then had a second surgery to remove the tendon causing the pain. The doctor who did the surgery said that removing that particular tendon should not effect his play.

5) He did not have the stitches removed until March of last year, thus the recovery and adjustment time mentioned above.

If the wrist problem is in fact resolved he may well surprise in spring training, and barring another outfield collision or bad hop to the face, he could remain healthy and end up being a great DH/1B option.

You're just picking this up? He's been a parody for about three weeks.

I've just had it with the ownership of this team. I don't have to be positive when Mr. Angelo's has given us nothing to be positive about.

Fine, but you are misdirecting your anger. Every team takes fliers on a few MiL contracts for vets who have had a couple of down years. The Yankees just signed Russell Branyan, who is 36 years old and had a .665 OPS last year and is very injury prone, to a MiL deal.

Your real frustration is that the O's haven't brought in any top-level free agents. That's fine, but signing Nick Johnson isn't the problem. It't not like the Orioles passed on Fielder because Johnson was available.

Archived