Options left for all members of the 40-man roster

Oldorioles

Only one would be a backup. Markakis would start in RF, de Aza would start in LF (or at least platoon with a RH hitter, like Pearce). Lough would be the backup outfielder.
So keep him on the roster, and see how he does in ST.

If he plays great, then you head north with him on the roster.

If he falters, then you DFA him and if nobody wants him, then you resign to a minor league contract.

All viable possibilities.

But my point is being missed. My point is this, the Orioles value options. So they are likely to construct a roster with plenty of players who have options.

And this becomes an issue quickly because Markakis is not signed and de Aza has to signed or offered arbitration or released.

Lough is easier to keep now because he isn't arbitration eligible.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are not going to non-tender Davis. Roch all but said that the other morning in the blog.

You don't cut a guy one year removed from 53 homeruns. Now... they could certainly trade Davis, but I don't see any logic behind outright cutting him.

Unless he plays in ST, like he did, this season and batting .162

They are not going to non-tender Davis. Roch all but said that the other morning in the blog.

You don't cut a guy one year removed from 53 homeruns. Now... they could certainly trade Davis, but I don't see any logic behind outright cutting him.

I doubt they cut him as well. His potential productivity is very high.

However, Davis is has been wildly inconsistent over his career and he will make a bunch of money, over $10 million and likely more then $11 million in 2015.

Pearce and Walker will make far less then that combined. They could be your 1B and backup 1B (Walker in AAA).

If Duq has a better use for that money, he could release Davis.

But my point is being missed. My point is this, the Orioles value options. So they are likely to construct a roster with plenty of players who have options.

And this becomes an issue quickly because Markakis is not signed and de Aza has to signed or offered arbitration or released.

Ah, I see where you are coming from now.

With that said, I dont agree that things will be an issue quickly.

I think DD has a plan and will execute that plan. :)

IMO, De Aza will be resigned with Markisis and along with Jones, will be the three starting outfielders.

Again, my opinion. De Aza was more than just a late season rental. (if he played well)

Ah, I see where you are coming from now.

With that said, I dont agree that things will be an issue quickly.

I think DD has a plan and will execute that plan. :)

IMO, De Aza will be resigned with Markisis and along with Jones, will be the three starting outfielders.

Again, my opinion. De Aza was more than just a late season rental. (if he played well)

That could very well be the case.

de Aza in LF, Jones in CF, Nick in RF, Lough is the backup.

But if this is the case, I bet a bunch of outfielders with options will get stuffed in the minors ;)

I guess Delmon Young has options, which is good for him. He may be platooning LF with de Aza.

De Aza is under team control through next year. He just needs to be tendered a contract.

Does everyone on the 40 man roster make at least the ML minimum salary?

No. Players with less than 3 years of service in the majors may be signed to a split contract. Split meaning they are paid a major league salary (at least 500K) when in the majors and a lesser amount when in the minors. The minor league salaries varies depending on experience from 50K - 400K.

Players like Tim Berry, Mike Olhman, Urrutia, Christian Walker will be on split contracts. But Jonathan Schoop can also be on a split contract.

You are right that in the past few seasons options have been an important part of Buck's maneuvering the roster. But many of the O's players have graduated to non option status. I think we will see less players on the roster with options in 2015. There are a few. Schoop. Flaherty, Joseph, Gonzalez, Machado, McFarland and Gausman have options. Not that they will be used.

I think you will see less optioning next year and move players moves to the 15 day DL when they have slight injuries.

You are right that in the past few seasons options have been an important part of Buck's maneuvering the roster. But many of the O's players have graduated to non option status. I think we will see less players on the roster with options in 2015. There are a few. Schoop. Flaherty, Joseph, Gonzalez, Machado, McFarland and Gausman have options. Not that they will be used.

I think you will see less optioning next year and move players moves to the 15 day DL when they have slight injuries.

I don't think so.

If fact, I think a bevy of transactions this off-season will increase the number of players with options. Especially in the minors, but I could see a few ML casualties as well. David Lough strikes me as replaceable, and a bunch of relievers also.

I don't think so.

If fact, I think a bevy of transactions this off-season will increase the number of players with options. Especially in the minors, but I could see a few ML casualties as well. David Lough strikes me as replaceable, and a bunch of relievers also.

I dont see Lough going anyway, unless one of the AAA youngsters is lights out on fire in ST.

Lough is more than likely your backup OF, if I was a betting person.

Having option applies mainly to relievers. I don't see lough losing out to a guy with options just so we can rotate back up OF'ers to sit for games at a time. Matusz is gone. So Mac is the second lefty as needed. So there is already one spot to play with in the pen. Britton oday hunter brach are the only locks as of now. I like Webb in the regular season.

I dont see Lough going anyway, unless one of the AAA youngsters is lights out on fire in ST.

Lough is more than likely your backup OF, if I was a betting person.

I agree, because he can play CF competently.

But finding a comparable defensive player with more options isn't that difficult.

Archived