Options left for all members of the 40-man roster

Oldorioles

OK, here's an update now that the O's have tinkered withthe 40-man roster. The OP has now been edited to reflect:

- Wada moved to 60-day DL (thus allowing another player onto the 40-man roster.

- Pomeranz added to 40-man roster. He has all three options remaining.

- Hunter had his last option used. It's good for all season, but he has no more left for the future.

- Paulino was optioned after giving his permission. This was necessary since he has more than five years of MLB service time.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dana Eveland or Joel Pineiro seem like the most likely candidates to take Hunter's spot in the rotation and neither is on the 40 man. There are a host of possible moves but dropping Zealous Wheeler (who's not hitting at AA) seems like the obvious choice. Of course, he's a 3B so you never know. Funny, but if this kid had just hit a little bit at AAA to start the year he might be looking at a ML callup. Same could be said for Antonelli.

I agree with you, Pineiro, Eveland (and Johnson) have all pitched well at Norfolk. Another 40-man move will ahve to be made. My vote would also be for Wheeler, who has really shown absolutely nothing with the bat and doesn't need to take up a 40-man spot. I get that we took a lot of fliers on infielders like him, along with Antonelli, Barfield, Hall, Tolleson, plus we had Bell. One would hope someone would take advantage of that opportunity. Even Ryan Adams has stunk it up with the bat so far this year. It looks like there's just nothing in the way of hitting this year at Norfolk (well, possibly Miller), I'm sure glad some of the pitchers are doing well.

One more update now that Tolleson has officially been added to the big league roster. It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like he may have one option left. He's defintiely used at least two. I'll put him down as having one left in the OP and continue to research it.

I agree with you, Pineiro, Eveland (and Johnson) have all pitched well at Norfolk. Another 40-man move will ahve to be made. My vote would also be for Wheeler, who has really shown absolutely nothing with the bat and doesn't need to take up a 40-man spot. I get that we took a lot of fliers on infielders like him, along with Antonelli, Barfield, Hall, Tolleson, plus we had Bell. One would hope someone would take advantage of that opportunity. Even Ryan Adams has stunk it up with the bat so far this year. It looks like there's just nothing in the way of hitting this year at Norfolk (well, possibly Miller), I'm sure glad some of the pitchers are doing well.

Of these 3, Johnson is the one that I would like to "protect" by not rushing him to the majors. Pineiro and Eveland are 33 and 28 respectively, and are both major league veterans. Johnson is 24, has yet to pitch in the majors, and has just started adjusting to the AAA level after getting rocked down there last season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=johnso006ste

Of these 3, Johnson is the one that I would like to "protect" by not rushing him to the majors. Pineiro and Eveland are 33 and 28 respectively, and are both major league veterans. Johnson is 24, has yet to pitch in the majors, and has just started adjusting to the AAA level after getting rocked down there last season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=johnso006ste

Definitely agree with you.

Is an option something that can be negotiated when signing a player as a free agent? Just currious.

Nope. The only thing I could see along those line is if you signed a veteran with more than five years of big league experience. If he's likely to bounce between Norfolk and Baltimore, you would need his permission to send him down. You might discuss that with such a player before signing him. Other than that, the number of options aren't negotiable.

Nope. The only thing I could see along those line is if you signed a veteran with more than five years of big league experience. If he's likely to bounce between Norfolk and Baltimore, you would need his permission to send him down. You might discuss that with such a player before signing him. Other than that, the number of options aren't negotiable.

We did this with Paulino. We negotiated another option as part of his deal. I found that quite interesting because I didn't know that was feasible.

Things continue to be quite active after an inital quite period at the beginning of the season. I've updated the OP to:

1) add Eveland (who has no options left - if we send him down he must pass through waivers)

2) add Hall. He has more than five years of big league experience, so we would need his permission to send him down.

3) remove Bergeson, who was DFA'ed before the game tonight.

4) remove Wheeler, who was removed from the 40-man roster

• 2 weeks later...

Made another update to reflect:

1) M. Gonzalez added to the 40-man (all three options remaining)

2) Avery optioned for the first time (two remaining for future years)

3) Hunter optioned, this was his final option. He has none left for next season.

Archived