Options left for all members of the 40-man roster

Oldorioles

De Aza is a keeper, imo. Lough could be a casualty, but I know they like his defense.

Brach has a spot in the bullpen, and I believe Hunter does too after scrapping his cutter and going to a power sinker.

Meek and Johnson are almost certain cuts, and Paredes (despite showing something with his bat in a SSS) is probably on the outside looking in because of his defense.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering Roch has already leaked that the Orioles and Markakis want to get a deal done for 2015.

I think it's safe to say he will be on the roster.

Indeed, but you know never can tell how a free agent contract negotiation goes. Things can go sour quick.

Lough and De Aza are hard to keep once Markakis signs, in my opinion. One will need to go.

Indeed, but you know never can tell how a free agent contract negotiation goes. Things can go sour quick.

Lough and De Aza are hard to keep once Markakis signs, in my opinion. One will need to go.

Lough is making $510K a year, how is that hard to keep with De Aza?

sorry, what am I missing here?

Lough is making $510K a year, how is that hard to keep with De Aza?

sorry, what am I missing here?

Not the salary, the lack of options. They like to be able to send guys up and down, carrying a bunch of backup outfielders with no options is not Duquette's style (based on recent history).

They may start the year like that and just let one go if needed in season.

Webb is an interesting case to me. Signed as a high priority in the off season and then fell out of favor and was optioned later in the year. Getting him on track will be important.

He is interesting. On the other hand he is under contract so I think he will get a shot at making the roster. Could be a trade candidate although he doesn't have much value.

Lough might hang around because of his ability to play CF. A De Aza/Pearce platoon would be pretty productive in LF.

Not the salary, the lack of options. They like to be able to send guys up and down, carrying a bunch of backup outfielders with no options is not Duquette's style (based on recent history).

Only one would be a backup. Markakis would start in RF, de Aza would start in LF (or at least platoon with a RH hitter, like Pearce). Lough would be the backup outfielder.

So keep him on the roster, and see how he does in ST.

If he plays great, then you head north with him on the roster.

If he falters, then you DFA him and if nobody wants him, then you resign to a minor league contract.

I'm hopeful that if Davis in non-tendered that we'll find a full-time first baseman to replace him. As much as I like Pearce, I really think he had his career season and should continue to play in a part-time role.

The FA pickings at first are expensive and/or slim:

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2014/10/post_409.html

Archived