Most overrated Oriole (by OH posters)?

Frobby

My initial thought was Reimold, and I say that as someone who likes Reimold a lot.

I agree. There seems to be a substantial faction who foresee 20+ HR and a .800 OPS from Reimold even though he has as many question marks as anyone on the squad. Not to say I don't like him either, but he's no sure thing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think there are backup plans:

1. Move Reynolds to 1B and play Antonelli at 3B.

2. Play Betemit at 1B.

3. Nick Johnson.

4. Joe Mahoney.

But I'd give Davis a full three months before moving to an alternative.

Ok. I wasn't being literal. If Davis stinks, I agree there will be a player standing on the bag taking throws. But given the probability that Davis doesn't play well --- those are some pretty awful options.

Maybe I'm not replying to the post in the way intended but I'm surprised more concern about Davis and the backups hasn't been expressed.

There aren't a whole lot of options. The backup plans involve Wilson Betemit, position switches to accomodate minor league career revival projects, and the four hour window in mid-June when Nick Johnson is healthy.

LOL. And that was all I was trying to say. We have no backup plan for a venture that is not very promising. Folks don't seem concerned -- which I took as tacit acceptance that Davis would be fine.

Antonelli.

He had a fine year last year, as a 26yo in AAA but many have already assumed he'll be on the 25-man roster if not in the Opening Day lineup. How can we not at least say he should earn those spots over guys like Adams (and others)? Let's look at what Antonelli did in the last few years before 2011:

2010 - hurt all year

2009 - .196/.300/.339 (639 OPS) in AAA as a 24 yo (same age Adams was last year)

2008 - .215/.335/.322 (657 OPS) in AAA

I can see where he should be in the discussion, but can we at least have him earn the spot???

Brian Matusz by far , he lost his stuff last season and I personally don't see him getting it back. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes the ace we were expecting when we drafted him 4th overall, for the sake of the franchise we need him to step up.He just looked to me as a young man who couldn't handle the big league pressure and the media that goes along with it, almost everytime I saw him in a interview he just looked nervous as all get out. It's just frustrating as a fan to be depending on all these "top prospects" like Matusz,Tillman,Reimold,etc who were suppossed to be big time talent and carry us go backwards.

Damn, I don't know how to take that one. LOL

Hah, just messin' around. The accuracy is not surprising at all.

Maybe I'm giving too much credit to the diversity of opinion on the board, but it seems like I could take any name on the 25 (or 40) man roster and find a number of outlandishly negative posts about the guy. I think it's true that (in any large social group) there tends to develop a general tone and accepted stance on an issue, but I guess I just feel like there are enough dissenting voices not to worry about who's overrated.

I do think there have been players in the best that have been largely overrated by more vocal posters on this board, and I think there are currently a handful of prospects in the system on whom people are dreaming a little too strongly for my taste, but as far as the make up of the 25/40 man goes, I think the general attitude of the board is that we've got a ton of flawed players on our hands.

If Davis stinks, I agree there will be a player standing on the bag taking throws. But given the probability that Davis doesn't play well --- those are some pretty awful options.

That'll probably initiate a trade for Justin Smoak/Kendry Morales/Mitch Moreland to happen! Let's hope Davis turns in a very nice performance.

Archived