What moment in O's history have you NOT recovered from?

Todd-O

YES. Been saying this for years..It was game 1, the "home run" tied the game in the 8th inning, and we had numerous chances to win in later tinnings. They destroyed us in Baltimore three straight games to take the series.

People have always acted as if that play cost us that series, which is simply not true. Obviously it was a TERRIBLE call, but it didn't even cost us that game really..We had baserunners in the 9th, 10th, and 11th If I remember correctly.

There's just no way, at the time anyone called that "the worst moment in O's history' or whatever. It's grown in lore over time..

I've told you many times, it doesn't matter what Derek whispers in your ear in the morning or writes on your gift-basket baseballs, we don't want to hear it.

;)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last weekend of the '89 season was a heartbreaker, too. I was in seventh grade, and really thought that team was going to pull it off. A Jamie Quirk passed ball on Friday night, then the Dave Johnson's gutty effort on Saturday (just wasn't enough) were just hard to stomach. I don't really believe in "deserve" when it comes to pro athletes, but that team earned a better fate than it got.

The Glen Davis trade. I was so pissed at the time. Two young pitchers and a centerfielder for an average first baseman. It turned out to be pretty much what I expected.

It might have been too much to give up, but Davis was one of the top first basemen in baseball at that time. He put up 86 homers (in the Astrodome in a pitchers' league) and a 141 OPS+ in the three years leading up to the trade. His problem was getting hurt, and staying hurt almost constantly through his Orioles tenure. Schilling was a struggling live arm and Finley was turning 26 and hadn't started hitting.

The moment the O's were eliminated from the 1997 playoffs. I was 9 years old, two years into my baseball fandom and too young to understand that we weren't going to be perennial contenders. As you can imagine the next 14 years came as quite a shock.

I was 40 years old, 31 years into my baseball fandom, and I didn't understand it either. I never saw it coming, even though the team was a bit long in the tooth.

For me, without a doubt the 1969 World Series. I know most posters weren't alive then, I was 22. We won the division by 19 games 109 wins and the mets beat us.

True looking back they had Seaver and Ryan in their rotation but it really hurt especially living in Albany N.Y. I remember Frank Robby saying "Who the hell is Ron Gaspar?"

Ya think you forget after time but not that one I can't remember what my ex-wife looked like but I remember those outfield catches like it was yesterday.

The Glen Davis trade. I was so pissed at the time. Two young pitchers and a centerfielder for an average first baseman. It turned out to be pretty much what I expected.

You would have been in the minority at that time. That trade was Universally praised as a win for the O's back then. I call 20/20 B.S.

Easiest question ever...

[video=youtube_share;gbU-MXXjjn8]

Absolutely the worst call in the history of baseball. What the heck is the RF umpire there for if not for plays like that?

I had forgotten that Costas, Morgan and Uecker all agreed that the call should have been interference.

You would have been in the minority at that time. That trade was Universally praised as a win for the O's back then. I call 20/20 B.S.

Yea, for sure. It looked like a great trade for the Orioles. People thought G. Davis would hit 50 homers for the Birds. He was the big stick that we needed . . . . . . . . . . . . . those injuries were unreal.

Absolutely the worst call in the history of baseball. What the heck is the RF umpire there for if not for plays like that?

I had forgotten that Costas, Morgan and Uecker all agreed that the call should have been interference.

That is painful to watch. Horrible call.

That play also in many ways is so typical of Jeter's career with all of his cheap hits.

Archived