BP's Jonathan Bernhart: O's and Astros will vie for the overall #1 pick for next year

Frobby

I haven't watched them do either in 2 years now. And as currently constructed I'd rather see them lose so that they can get better in the long term, which is back to what I said in the first place.

5 years of being the worst team in baseball piled on top of the 15 bad years we have already seen might result in the New Orleans Orioles having a good young team.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 years of being the worst team in baseball piled on top of the 15 bad years we have already seen might result in the New Orleans Orioles having a good young team.

With any luck it will result in Cal Ripken as part of a new ownership group here in Baltimore. The way our team is built right now (and this year is a big one way or the other year) we might not be far off from 5 more losing seasons as it is anyway.

Only two first overall picks in baseball history have not made the major leagues (that doesn't include recently drafted guys).

Statistically, you have the highest chance of not only having a major leaguer, but the best chance of having a successful one. The average WAR of a first overall player is above 19. Second and third rounders are each 12.

And my point is that winning 60 games a year for several years has more of a negative impact on your organization than the positive gains of ~7 WAR spread over six years of team control.

I don't want to be last - that's the last thing I would want for this club. I don't think about draft picks that way. I'd rather have the 10th pick than the first, because it means my team performed better than nine other teams that year. It's always better to be improving, even incrementally. You have to build, step by step. But then again, I'm more interested in the MLB record than what's happening in Shorebirds-land. And I've seen enough "can't miss" prospects to not really put too much stock in draft position, etc.

So give me more wins for the Orioles, and I'll take my chances in the draft with whatever pick we wind up with. The "suck for Luck" mentality is a loser's mentality, IMO.

Personally I don't know how anyone could not consider the Mets among this group. I think they may actively be trying to become the worst team in the game. Then factor in the additions the marlins and nationals have made and you have a team in a division that is going to beat them down.

Good point. Our roster actually looks quite good by comparison.

Archived