Is Everyone Really So Depressed?

hoosiers

Im more excited about this year then last year.

Me too. I love baseball, and opening day presents new hope for every team, no matter how bleak the outlook is percieved to be. I don't try to have my expectations too high or too low, and believe me, I can understand why a lot of people have low expectations for this this club. But for some reason, this year presents some storylines that I am more interested in seeing how they unfold. I am particularly intrigued by the pitching staff and seeing how the dominos fall in the starting rotation and the bullpen.

Sure there will be games that I will be ready to turn off by the third inning at some point, but as of right now, I am pretty damn enthusiastic about the start of the season.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In all honesty, and with no negativity, I ask you this: realistically, what else is going to happen here? Is there a method of being optimistic when faced with what we've been given as an on-field product for 2012? I am generally a chipper guy but the Orioles bring me down time and time again. I love this team and I don't like what I am seeing. It's like being in love with a girl who keeps dating the wrong man who is abusive and doesn't treat her right and never will. They get married and you watch this woman lose her spirit, good looks and hope for the future. You keep waiting for the divorce that will never come. That's like being an Orioles fan. Many are waiting for the end of Angelos' ownership of the team but its not happening. This is a travesty if there ever was one. I don't know how anyone could look at this team and kick back and think, "y'know, things are gonna be alright."

This team is going to be horrible. It's not negativity, its the truth.

Yes it is...because there was more hope that the young pitching would be better over the last few years than it is now.

On top of that, the teams in the AL(not just the division) have gotten better while the Orioles have stayed the same or gotten worse.

So yes, its completely different.

A good year by the young pitchers and a strong showing from our prospects would change this but as of right now, this is as low as it has been since this losing streak started.

I agree with this. However, I am unsure as to how this offseason could have happened differently. I presume you aren't quite ready to give up on the young pitching and/or selling low on them.

I don't disagree with the unhappiness that DD has essentially decided to ride the pony for at least half a season to see what nuggets we have and where/how to proceed from there. I do however think we should just accept it. Move on, enjoy the hi-lights for half a season and see what happens at the break.

Other than a Jones trade, how else could we have picked up some established ML pitching?

Yes it is...because there was more hope that the young pitching would be better over the last few years than it is now.

On top of that, the teams in the AL(not just the division) have gotten better while the Orioles have stayed the same or gotten worse.

A good year by the young pitchers and a strong showing from our prospects would change this but as of right now, this is as low as it has been since this losing streak started.

I think TOR and TB have imporoved, but I don't think BOS and the MFYs' have done too much. I have a feeling things aren't going to go too well for BOS. Thedy could fall as far as 4th place IMO.

I agree with this. However, I am unsure as to how this offseason could have happened differently. I presume you aren't quite ready to give up on the young pitching and/or selling low on them.

I don't disagree with the unhappiness that DD has essentially decided to ride the pony for at least half a season to see what nuggets we have and where/how to proceed from there. I do however think we should just accept it. Move on, enjoy the hi-lights for half a season and see what happens at the break.

Other than a Jones trade, how else could we have picked up some established ML pitching?

They could have blown up the team and brought in a lot more talent and showed a real direction.

I think TOR and TB have imporoved, but I don't think BOS and the MFYs' have done too much. I have a feeling things aren't going to go too well for BOS. Thedy could fall as far as 4th place IMO.

Yea..well you are pretty wrong about that.

Boston is still stacked...people writing them off are fools.

The main problem was the flat payroll, IMO. If we hadn't had that they might have signed one name FA, and the whining would have died down to a muffled roar.

I also believe there's a rebound effect from last season's unfulfilled expectations coloring a lot of posters attitudes right now.

Looking at Duquette's offseason accomplishments from on-field standpoint is disappointing. If viewed as the beginning of a more comprehensive systemic overhaul things seem a lot brighter, so as long as there's continued momentum I'm not going to get too down. However, the minute this organization sits back and puts its feet up, that feeling will change in a hurry. The benefit of the doubt is just so much harder to generate these days.

After all, there's always good baseball being played somewhere each day, and mlb.tv make watching it only a few mouse clicks away.

Yea..well you are pretty wrong about that.

Boston is still stacked...people writing them off are fools.

Yeah you're right. that SS of their's makes Machado look like LH. And the back end of their rotation is dynamite. And the LF and RF, what are their names agaon?

No, I'd say it was worse in February 2001-03.

Feb. 2001: We had just lost Mussina, and traded away almost every veteran of value, while receiving very little in return. We got word that winter that Albert Belle's hip was chroncially injured and he'd probably not fulfill the last three years of his contract. The previous year's draft was awful: not one of our top 30 picks ever reached the majors. That year the O's won 63 games.

Feb. 2002: No more Cal or Brady. Our first round pick from '01 was Chris Smith, another bust. The O's won 67 games.

Feb. 2003: Our best minor league pitcher (Bedard) was recovering from TJ surgery. Our 2002 top pick (Loewen) hadn't signed. The O's won 71 games that year.

There is more talent on this team, and in the minors, than there was during that period, IMO.

Im more excited about this year then last year.

How in Jeffrey Hammonds' name is this possible for you? I ask because I am genuinely curious.

Last year at this time, the team was coming off of a 34-23 record under new manager Buck Showalter. Matusz had pitched terrifically down the stretch and the young cavalry had arrived.

Then, AM actually had a nice little off-season. He acquired JJ Hardy for pennies and had acquired a legitimate power bat in Reynolds. In addition, the team had signed aging but still productive, to that point, middle of the order bats in Derrek Lee and Vlad Guerrero.

Brian Roberts finished an injury-plagued 2010 strong and was rearing up for 2011. Luke Scott, who had just won MVO and posted an OPS above .900, was returning.

Yeah, that team stunk. We get it. But how does this craptacular team that DD has put together excite you more than last years??

They could have blown up the team and brought in a lot more talent and showed a real direction.

As I said, I understand the unhappiness with a plotted direction being put off until at least the break of 2012. I just think it is what it is... is half a season going to change the rate of our rise to competitiveness? If DD doesn't plot a course at the break, then I think there's reason to overthrow them all.

i also believe there's a rebound effect from last season's unfulfilled expectations coloring a lot of posters attitudes right now.

Looking at duquette's offseason accomplishments from on-field standpoint is disappointing. If viewed as the beginning of a more comprehensive systemic overhaul things seem a lot brighter, so as long as there's continued momentum i'm not going to get too down. However, the minute this organization sits back and puts its feet up, that feeling will change in a hurry. The benefit of the doubt is just so much harder to generate these days.

After all, there's always good baseball being played somewhere each day, and mlb.tv make watching it only a few mouse clicks away.

this 1000%

Archived