Is Everyone Really So Depressed?

hoosiers

No, I'd say it was worse in February 2001-03.

Feb. 2001: We had just lost Mussina, and traded away almost every veteran of value, while receiving very little in return. We got word that winter that Albert Belle's hip was chroncially injured and he'd probably not fulfill the last three years of his contract. The previous year's draft was awful: not one of our top 30 picks ever reached the majors. That year the O's won 63 games.

Feb. 2002: No more Cal or Brady. Our first round pick from '01 was Chris Smith, another bust. The O's won 67 games.

Feb. 2003: Our best minor league pitcher (Bedard) was recovering from TJ surgery. Our 2002 top pick (Loewen) hadn't signed. The O's won 71 games that year.

There is more talent on this team, and in the minors, than there was during that period, IMO.

But the division wasn't nearly as strong...and neither was the AL as a whole...We also didn't have an additional 10 years worth of losing that prevents players from wanting to come here.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the division wasn't nearly as strong...and neither was the AL as a whole...We also didn't have an additional 10 years worth of losing that prevents players from wanting to come here.

Those are fair points. But think of how bad the Orioles were, to win only 63 games in a division that included the 62-win Rays, the 80-win Jays and the 82-win Sox. That same team in today's AL East would be lucky to win 55 games. At least this team has some young talent. The task is more daunting, but the team itself is more watchable.

You will look very foolish when this season is over. Boston wins 90+ games this year.
Your point is that BOS has improved this off season. Can you demonstrate how they have? They have traded their SS and replaced him with Avilles and Punto. They have two RP in the back of their rotation, and have Ross, Sweeney, and McDonald in the OF. Do Bailey and Melancon really make them that much better?

Those are fair points. But think of how bad the Orioles were, to win only 63 games in a division that included the 62-win Rays, the 80-win Jays and the 82-win Sox. That same team in today's AL East would be lucky to win 55 games. At least this team has some young talent. The task is more daunting, but the team itself is more watchable.

Thus why things are as bad as they have been.

Its great that we are more talented and more watchable....but that doesn't mean anything if you are even further behind contention.

You will look very foolish when this season is over. Boston wins 90+ games this year.

I think Agon and Crawford both bounce back and have good years, Agon really experienced a power outage there in the second half. I could see them having a really good year.

On the other hand Youk never seems to be healthy all year and Ortiz is going to fall off a cliff it's just a matter of when. Their rotation is good on the top three. But Bard and Aceves? Carlos Silva, Dice K, Miller? Are they really going to be reliable? Will Beckett stay healthy? Their BP is kind of questionable too.

They've got some question marks. But a lot of Red Sox fans were really disappointed in their offseason this year, my one friend who is a huge Sox fan called this offseason the biggest disappointment he's ever remembered. Don't underestimate the departure of Theo. It seems like the President is starting to have vastly more input into the team, and that's rarely a good thing.

But I think a lot of Sox fans have a very similar wait and see attitude that Orioles fans do for this year.

Your point is that BOS has improved this off season. Can you demonstrate how they have? They have traded their SS and replaced him with Avilles and Punto. They have two RP in the back of their rotation, and have Ross, Sweeney, and McDonald in the OF. Do Bailey and Melancon really make them that much better?

Actually, my comment was over the last few years.

I think Boston is relatively the same from last year but may not have the clubhouse issues.

The only thing that brings them down(other than injuries) is if there is a lot of conflict with Bobby V and the players.

Actually, my comment was over the last few years.

I think Boston is relatively the same from last year but may not have the clubhouse issues.

The only thing that brings them down(other than injuries) is if there is a lot of conflict with Bobby V and the players.

Oh I see, I missed the goal posts being moved.

This offseason has done absolutely nothing to get me enthused about the 2012 Orioles.

BUT....the offseason is pretty much over, and I'm not here to talk about the past. Its Spring Training time, and as always, ST brings an anticipation and excitement to see the Birds back in action.

So no, I'm not depressed my friend. The Winter has been mild, the flowers are starting to come up in the yard, the birds have returned to my backyard, and I am ready for some Orioles baseball!

I don't know if I'd wager money on that. I mean, it's possible of course. The offense is still very good. But they've got some real problems with the pitching. Lester is really the only bankable starter they have. Who knows what you get from Beckett, and Buchholz and Dice-K can't stay healthy. Lackey has established himself as awful. If everything works out, their pitching will be good, but it's far from a given.

I also think the turmoil they had in management in the offseason is going to affect this team in some way.

I think Agon and Crawford both bounce back and have good years, Agon really experienced a power outage there in the second half. I could see them having a really good year.

On the other hand Youk never seems to be healthy all year and Ortiz is going to fall off a cliff it's just a matter of when. Their rotation is good on the top three. But Bard and Aceves? Carlos Silva, Dice K, Miller? Are they really going to be reliable? Will Beckett stay healthy? Their BP is kind of questionable too.

They've got some question marks. But a lot of Red Sox fans were really disappointed in their offseason this year, my one friend who is a huge Sox fan called this offseason the biggest disappointment he's ever remembered. Don't underestimate the departure of Theo. It seems like the President is starting to have vastly more input into the team, and that's rarely a good thing.

But I think a lot of Sox fans have a very similar wait and see attitude that Orioles fans do for this year.

I'd love to have Boston's problems as a team. Then nobody would have reason to complain. And those that did would be ungrateful fans.

I'd put alot more faith in seeing bounceback years from the legit superstars on Boston's team than our "ride the hope train" team.

I think the issue will be whether Boston is healthier than they have been the last two years. They lost 774 games to injuries in 2010, and 804 in 2011. They outpaced every other team in the division by a wide margin in both years. So, even without major additions, if they can keep their team on the field, they will be a better team.

I don't know if I'd wager money on that. I mean, it's possible of course. The offense is still very good. But they've got some real problems with the pitching. Lester is really the only bankable starter they have. Who knows what you get from Beckett, and Buchholz and Dice-K can't stay healthy. Lackey has established himself as awful. If everything works out, their pitching will be good, but it's far from a given.

I also think the turmoil they had in management in the offseason is going to affect this team in some way.

Isn't Lackey also out for the year? Hasn't Bard never thrown more than like 75 innings in a full season? Matt Albers is way too far up their depth chart if Bard sticks in the rotation for me to think they are a lock for 90+ wins.

I think the issue will be whether Boston is healthier than they have been the last two years. They lost 774 games to injuries in 2010, and 804 in 2011. They outpaced every other team in the division by a wide margin in both years. So, even without major additions, if they can keep their team on the field, they will be a better team.

Should we already take John Lackey's starts off the books as missed games?

They always seem to be fighting off fluky injuries like Crawford's last year. But Beckett and Youk and Ortiz could all get hurt and it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Well they are getting off to a poor start in the health dept. with Crawford on the DL. They really need good seasons from Beckett, and Bucholtz. If one of them has injury issues as they have had recently, the SP will be sketchy. And even if ACrawford can return to form they have UTIF types at SS and Cody Ross, in RF. Poppi has to stay on form even though he is a year older, and Youk has to stay healthy and play a decent 3B. BOS has more if's than they usually do. And I really think they have some clubhouse and FO issues that are unresolved.

I think most are more subdued from this time last year because we were overly optimistic. I'm not depressed I have just misplaced my orange colored glasses.

This is exactly how I feel. Every spring I'm overly optimistic. Last year I had money set aside for playoff tickets. I've just been pounded into submission. Had the Guthrie trade been for prospects, I'd feel better. I have just set the expectation bar so low, there's no chance for dissappointment. This is something I've learned to do as a Wizard and Redskin fan. Melancholy baby.

Archived