Matusz article and chart

Frobby

Yep. Seems like coaches feel like they have to coach all the time...that if they're not instructing, tinkering or tweaking then they're not doing their job.

This is right, and it's everywhere. The unnecessary tinkering that goes on in my profession is ridiculous. Something crosses a desk, and folks rationalize their salary by tinkering, as if they needed a signature "added value" on everything they see.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. Seems like coaches feel like they have to coach all the time...that if they're not instructing, tinkering or tweaking then they're not doing their job.

Like, what's a hitting coach going to tell Albert Pujols? Just let him do his thing. A hitting coach should never have to talk to a guy like that. Matusz had good command when he got to the bigs. And on the days he didn't, maybe he just didn't trust his stuff? Maybe he was afraid to throw it over the plate? Hard to tell.

IMO, at this level a pitching coach should be teaching guys how to throw a new pitch or talking advanced tactics on how to set up hitters and stuff. Unless your a mess like Brad Pennington, there's no reason to mess around with mechanics. Matusz had better than a 2:1 k/bb ratio for his first two seasons in the majors. There was absolutely no reason to mess with him.

Brian has always run into trouble spotting his FB a little bit, but I don't think I've ever seen him miss a spot with his change or curve. He worked really hard in AA on placing the FB (to the point where he would throw 90% FB just to not get reliant on the CH and CV) and I thought he was doing a pretty good job of it in 2010.

I just don't get what was so bad that they had to go "improving" him. Like LJ said, it's like they just wanted to put their signature on him so when he was really successful they could say it was because of them. I just really want to see them turn him lose and let him do things his way and see if he gets back to what he was. He's going to be a guy that gets shelled here because of this mess and then gets dealt to some other team and goes on to put up 15 win 2.75 ERA years for 10 years.

Like, what's a hitting coach going to tell Albert Pujols?

Maintenance. When Pujols OPSes .750 for two months, like last year, the hitting coach should be telling him what's different between now and before, and helping him get back there. What he definitely shouldn't be doing is completely retooling, telling him he needs to... I don't know... start going the other way a lot just to get in a groove or something.

It all comes back to letting players do what they do well. They all got to this level for a reason, and chances are good that changing fundamental aspects of their game won't help. Maintenance, adjustments sure.

Maintenance. When Pujols OPSes .750 for two months, like last year, the hitting coach should be telling him what's different between now and before, and helping him get back there. What he definitely shouldn't be doing is completely retooling, telling him he needs to... I don't know... start going the other way a lot just to get in a groove or something.

It all comes back to letting players do what they do well. They all got to this level for a reason, and chances are good that changing fundamental aspects of their game won't help. Maintenance, adjustments sure.

Right. And what's amazing is that folks thought that it was Crowley's fault that he wasn't "teaching" players to take more walks. You work with the skill set given to maximize that skill set. You don't suddenly change that skill set through pushing a philosophy. Crowley had about the most minimal approach necessary. It was - in the end - almost inarguable.

Right. And what's amazing is that folks thought that it was Crowley's fault that he wasn't "teaching" players to take more walks. You work with the skill set given to maximize that skill set. You don't suddenly change that skill set through pushing a philosophy. Crowley had about the most minimal approach necessary. It was - in the end - almost inarguable.

Tell that to SG. :D

Horrendous offense for 13 years...HC has to take some of the blame. What the actually blame is, who knows...but saying he doesn't deserve any blame is naive and wrong.

Archived