Big test for Matusz today

El Gordo

If BMat pitches 1/3 of an inning today and gives up 9 runs, he should still be in the rotation.

Just so long as he keeps reasonable mechanics, velocity, location, and approach through his terrible beating. If he's throwing 89 and is wild as Brad Pennington you might want to think about things for a minute.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If BMat pitches 1/3 of an inning today and gives up 9 runs, he should still be in the rotation.

I'd tend to agree with you except for the fact they have this guy they are committed to for $8 mil they signed this off season and he has to GIVE them permission to be sent down. That guy gets maybe a couple more shots to prove he's ML ready and wouldn't count on him not being able to throw strikes next time. So, it would be really nice if Brian could just erase all doubt today.

Is it really still a competition? Matusz goes against the Tigers today. I think Wada goes against a college team on Monday. That's certainly no way to decide. The decision has been made, I think. I'm not sure what the decision is but I don't today has any bearing on it. Just a guess.

To be fair...couldn't the Tigers end up looking like a college team by the middle of the game?

Is it really still a competition? Matusz goes against the Tigers today. I think Wada goes against a college team on Monday. That's certainly no way to decide. The decision has been made, I think. I'm not sure what the decision is but I don't today has any bearing on it. Just a guess.

No, it probably isn't and that's my concern. Not who's pitching vs what team or lineup but what the circumstances are. To me, there's no way Wada is a better pitcher than Matusz.

Moreover, if he goes out in the first four vs there best lineup and does well I think he gives Buck and DD an easier decision and something likelier that Wada himself can say, "Thats the guy."

The fact that Wada is pitching vs a college team was out of necessity, no?

No, it probably isn't and that's my concern. Not who's pitching vs what team or lineup but what the circumstances are. To me, there's no way Wada is a better pitcher than Matusz.

Alright, can I amend the last statement here??? Seriously, he get's rocked in the first inning which includes an error by Reynolds? Is that a microcosm of last year or what???

First 3 runners reach..2-0 Det. BMat throwing 91-92.

This is the only thing that really matters right now.

Matusz has his velocity back and it has been consistent all spring. Every pitcher gets hit around once in awhile but MAtusz has looked very good all spring and there is no reason to think that he won't be with the team in Baltimore to start the season.

As I posted last week in another thread, a scout told me he thinks Matusz will give up too many long balls to be a dominant pitcher.

This is certainly a possibility - but even if he's not "dominant" he can have significant value.

As for this game, he may have been touched up early, but he's stabilized, and he's got 4:1 K/BB ratio. I still think he's on track for a very good year.

This is certainly a possibility - but even if he's not "dominant" he can have significant value.

As for this game, he may have been touched up early, but he's stabilized, and he's got 4:1 K/BB ratio. I still think he's on track for a very good year.

His K rate this spring has certainly been a general positive. I'll probably be disappointed if he's not in the opening day rotation.

Archived