O's DFA Eveland

TonySoprano

For those who care, Baseball Prospectus had this to say in their annual-

"Zelous Wheeler plays with-you guessed it-zeal. And while he doesn't quite profile as a starter, his great attitude and on-base skills have him poised for a career as a useful reserve.".

Listed in the Brewers "line-outs" so he doesn't get projections or comparables.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never seen so many people be wrong about a trade then jump up and defend the trade even more when they are proven to be wrong because he was DFA! I see the one most vocal about how tremendous of a pitcher he is/was is at least taking a back seat in this thread.

Apparently, it's tough for some people to say "I was wrong".

I have never seen so many people be wrong about a trade then jump up and defend the trade even more when they are proven to be wrong because he was DFA! I see the one most vocal about how tremendous of a pitcher he is/was is at least taking a back seat in this thread.

Maybe because people that were fine with the trade considered the fact he might be DFA'd.

And if he's claimed????

It still wouldn't matter because we gave up NOTHING important. People can hold on to hope that Martin and Davis could have been something. Truth is, they couldn't, they were non-prospects. Email Law or Goldstein and ask them about the two. If we had traded Tillman for Eveland I would expect this backlash, but it was two players who would have been org. filler or cut for a guy that could be some depth somewhere. That's it.

It still wouldn't matter because we gave up NOTHING important. People can hold on to hope that Martin and Davis could have been something. Truth is, they couldn't, they were non-prospects. Email Law or Goldstein and ask them about the two. If we had traded Tillman for Eveland I would expect this backlash, but it was two players who would have been org. filler or cut for a guy that could be some depth somewhere. That's it.

Counter argument: We have an infinite number spots for non-prospects to become prospects and "Eveland = Anypitcher"

And that probably will end up being true but fundamentally it's still not optimal to be trading assets, no matter how low their current value or probable future value, for a caliber of player you could pick up off the street as a FA at anytime all winter, or could claim when teams start DFA this spring.

That's what you deserved. The whole thing is much about nothing. The Teagarden deal is a much better case. The Eveland deal is just too silly to be still talking about. The Dodgers got some warm bodies. People keep saying that the Eveland's of the world are available for free. Well, so are the Tyler Henson's and Jarret Martins. You don't think you can pick up 6 year minor league FA's every year as good or better than those two guys? Guys get released all of the time that are better than those two. As someone else said, were you same guys crying when they let Angle go? Angle has more value than Tyler Henson and yet the O's just cut him loose. The O's picked up Beerer for nothing. He'll probably never amount to much but he's got a better chance to have a cup of coffee at the ML level than Henson. The O's have picked up Zach Phillips, Pedro Viola, Clay Rapada, and the likes for zilch. Jarret Martin will likely become a 6 year minor league FA before he ever comes close to the majors. Stop crying over nothing. And stop pretending this makes you guys right! LOL
Fundamentally it doesn't matter that it's probably about nothing. As far as I know nobody is acting like Martin and Henson are or will ever be anything. That doesn't really matter though. I always love the I was wrong but it doesn't matter in the end so no harm no foul argument.

And yes I was upset that Angle was DFA. He had option(s) left and I thought there was other guys that should have been DFA before him and or probably would have cleared waivers. In the end none of these moves are likely big deals but it makes me question DD and Bucks roster management. What's likely to not be a big deal with the moves made with Eveland, Teagarden, and Angle could be a big deal the next time.

Fundamentally it doesn't matter that it's probably about nothing. I always love the I was wrong but it doesn't matter in the end so no harm no foul argument.

The argument that the Eveland acquistion was much ado about nothing was stated right from the beginning and hasn't changed. Go back and re-read the thread.

I've already stated your argument.

We have an infinite number spots for non-prospects to become prospects and "Eveland = Anypitcher"

I don't buy your argument. Then or now.

Has anyone as inconsequential ever generated this many pages of posts? Here's to you, Dana Eveland, for keeping the Hangout entertained during a boring offseason!

Keith Osik and Luis Lopez come to mind, but even they didn't generate this much debate. At least Eveland could become something consequential. Those two just sucked.

Archived