Time to Grow Up - No Excuses

wildcard

ST records are not the issue. It how the O's players that will make the OD roster are playing late in ST the bothers me.

Maybe everyone else does have it figured out and I am the only one that is looking for progress from the O's.

Wildcard I agree that there are things to be concerned about regarding this team, like the fact Reimold iis striking out way too much and has one walk in the lead off position. The fact that Davis has shown little power, a limited ability to make contact and an elevated strike out rate. These are a few of the things I'm concerned about not that we have six ties.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, I watched a delayed viewing of the game last night and watched the first 5 innings. Chen really didn't mix his pitches up much. He must have thrown 80% fastballs and mixed in his curve every now and then. He may have thrown a couple of changeups. I think he looked good actually. Knowing Buck Showalter, Chen was probably on orders not to show another AL East team too much of his arsenal. I feel good about Chen. Seems to have a good fastball with good command. Tough to get ML hitters out with one pitch though.

Nice review. And very possible you are right. However, many pitchers with good fastball command throw 80% fastballs during the regular season.

Wildcard I agree that there are things to be concerned about regarding this team, like the fact Reimold iis striking out way too much and has one walk in the lead off position. The fact that Davis has shown little power, a limited ability to make contact and an elevated strike out rate. These are a few of the things I'm concerned about not that we have six ties.

That was a really good response until you added the mention of the ties. Are you implying that I am worried about the ties? I am not. I am more concerned that the pitching is not ready for the season.

That was a really good response until you added the mention of the ties. Are you implying that I am worried about the ties? I am not. I am more concerned that the pitching is not ready for the season.

The reference to "ties" was a euphemistic response to what seems to be your overreaction to spring training game outcomes.

IF each pitcher has a good first start and then gets bombed their next two, does that mean they were ready for the season?

I question for the ages. When is a good start a good start. The answer is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't know why you are hangup on the O's ST record. I am not.

Reaction too strong? Maybe. If you believe that the O's can flip a switch and outperform the Twins and Yankees. They have been in ST for six weeks. The starters should be farther along then they appear to be IMO.

First of all, I don't know about you, but I am not expecting the Orioles to outperform the Yankees this year.

Second, teams and players get hot and cold. The O's went 6-1 to start last season, did you forget that? I guess they were "ready" to start the season. They just weren't ready to play decent baseball over 162 games. For me, I'm more concerned with how the O's do over 162 games than I am with how they looked one particular week, whether it be in spring training or the regular season.

I also dispute the idea that if a guy pitches great in spring training start no. 4 and then not well in start no. 5, he is somehow less "ready" than a guy who doesn't do that well in start no. 4 but is really good in start no. 5.

A good non-answer. If each pitcher has what YOU consider a good start in their first starts, and then get bombed their next two starts, were they ready for the season. What I'm getting at is that our staff isn't exactly Lee, Halladay, and Hamels. If they have bad starts you will claim they weren't ready. What if they have good starts and have bad seasons?

I good start is a good start. Its a step in the right direction which the O's need. What happens after that has many variables including injuries, hitting, pitching, defense, weather and more. I think we have to take it as it comes.

Two tries and still no answer. If each starter has a good first start (what you consider a good start) were they ready for the season?

I think the answer has to be if they have a good start and then can come back after four days off and stay in the game for 5 plus innings pitching reasonably well, then they were ready. That recovery time is always the tricky thing out of the spring.

Two tries and still no answer. If each starter has a good first start (what you consider a good start) were they ready for the season?

I gave you a good answer, its just not what you are looking for.

If the opening day starter beats the Twins but loses to the Yankees by giving up 4 run in 5 innings and then in the next start loses while giving up 2 runs in 2 innings before a rain delay that caused his replacement? Is that a good start to the season or a bad one?.

There are so many variables to what happens and how it is judged that it is impossible to answer before it happens.

Really? I was under the impression that the change up was much more a deception pitch based on change of speed, not excessive movement. If Jake throws multiple change-ups in a row, in an effort to perfect his grip or something, I'd expect a couple might leave the park.

And I'd wager the change-ups were middle/up in the zone. Your impression seems to be that deception allows for throwing the ball much more slowly, and down the middle of the plate.

If he's going to throw a "bad" change-up, bounce it.

A good non-answer. If each pitcher has what YOU consider a good start in their first starts, and then get bombed their next two starts, were they ready for the season? What I'm getting at is that our staff isn't exactly Lee, Halladay, and Hamels. If they have bad starts you will claim they weren't ready. What if they have good starts and have bad seasons?

Yep. Remember last season, when Tillman pitched a no-hitter for 6 innings in his first outing? He got bombed in his next start, then was absolutely crushed in his following start, giving up 6 runs in less than 2 innings before being lifted. 2 months later, he was demoted to AAA-Norfolk, where he proceeded to go 3-6 with a 5.19 ERA. When he came back up to Baltimore, he was clubbed in 2 of his next 3 starts before being demoted again to Norfolk for the remainder of the season ...... but he was "ready" to start the season.

By the way, on the numerous occasions when I am wrong, :o I will usually say, "My bad," or "maybe you're right." A lot of other posters do this also when they make a simple mistake when proclaiming something that was obviously not accurate and/or rational. It saves us all the ensuing ritual of dancing around the original statement, back-peddling, semantics, etc. for 3 or 4 additional pages of comments.

I would love to read your stats to prove otherwise.

I don't believe that teams just can turn a switch and all of a sudden play at a much higher level on opening day. Especially teams that have been losing year after year. Teams need to build toward opening day. If you think the O's can just throw a switch on opening day then more power to you. I hope you are right. The O's are going to need something to turn this season into a winner.

Note the O's went 1-4-1 over their last 6 spring games. Meaningless? I guess we will see. As teams started to play their regulars more the O's started losing more. Not the best trend.

Aherm...so was Jake ready enough for you in his Opening Day start? Did the team play crisply, or not?

Archived