Time to Grow Up - No Excuses

wildcard

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The numbers are meaningless but the results aren't.
Of course they are. There is not a ML manager alive who will tell you that the WL collumn in ST has any significance. Pitchers are working on things, they aren't trying to win. Managers are looking at players, they aren't trying to win. The results of a pitcher against a bunch of MiL scrubs mean nothing. And even the "results" against ML All Stars are meaningless, because they may be just slowly getting themselves ready for the season, when the games and" results" do have meaning. The "results" only have meaning for those who are trying to make the club. Arrieta today was working on two things; his change up and mechanics from the stretch. As a result he threw a coupls of change ups in situations where he wouldn't if it were a real game. And they got hit for HR. Otherwise he pitched well. If hew can't work on things he needs to improve on, in ST, for fear of the "results", when can he? Eddie Murrey used to work on the weak spots in his swing during batting practice. Consequently he didn't put on the show that a lot of people expected of him. But so what it was batting practice. That's what ST is, baseball practice. Get it.

Of course they are. There is not a ML manager alive who will tell you that the WL collumn in ST has any significance. Pitchers are working on things, they aren't trying to win. Managers are looking at players, they aren't trying to win. The results of a pitcher against a bunch of MiL scrubs mean nothing. And even the "results" against ML All Stars are meaningless, because they may be just slowly getting themselves ready for the season, when the games and" results" do have meaning. The "results" only have meaning for those who are trying to make the club. Arrieta today was working on two things; his change up and mechanics from the stretch. As a result he threw a coupls of change ups in situations where he wouldn't if it were a real game. And they got hit for HR. Otherwise he pitched well. If hew can't work on things he needs to improve on, in ST, for fear of the "results", when can he? Eddie Murrey used to work on the weak spots in his swing during batting practice. Consequently he didn't put on the show that a lot of people expected of him. But so what it was batting practice. That's what ST is, baseball practice. Get it.

(Love your avatar) Totally get the "workin' on it in Spring" thing, but as the opening day starter-apparent...ick. Today, not good. Tillman looks as good. And he 's going to Norfolk. Jake needs to step up and BE the go to guy if he's destined to pitch Opening Day. Does he get your vote of confidence? Not sure he gets mine. We'll see. That being said, I do like this potential rotation better than in the last 4 years. I am the 'O'-ternal optimist.

(Love your avatar) Totally get the "workin' on it in Spring" thing' date=' but as the opening day starter-apparent...ick. Today, not good. Tillman looks as good. And he 's going to Norfolk. Jake needs to step up and BE the go to guy if he's destined to pitch Opening Day. Does he get your vote of confidence? Not sure he gets mine. We'll see. That being said, I do like this potential rotation better than in the last 4 years. I am the 'O'-ternal optimist.[/quote']I have trained for and run two NY marathons.. A baseball season is like a marathon. These guys are preparing for 6 months of performance, every day. You don't focus on trying to go all out when you are preparing for the race. You won't finish. He needs to get himself ready to run the race. It doesn't start until next Friday.

I have trained for and run two NY marathons.. A baseball season is like a marathon. These guys are preparing for 6 months of performance, every day. You don't focus on trying to go all out when you are preparing for the race. You won't finish. He needs to get himself ready to run the race. It doesn't start until next Friday.

You are sturdier than me, no doubt. Love carbs. Six guys on the entire roster with worse era's this Spring...Drake, JJ, Simon (yep), Gallaraga (?) Wada and Willis (waste). Hope you are right.

You are sturdier than me' date=' no doubt. Love carbs. Six guys on the entire roster with worse era's this Spring...Drake, JJ, Simon (yep), Gallaraga (?) Wada and Willis (waste). Hope you are right.[/quote']Reynolds and Reimold have terrible OPS this ST. I don't know about Reimold, but the one thing about Reynolds that is consistent is his offense. He will hit 35+ HR, K 190,BB 60 +, and knock in 80+ RBI, book it.

Reynolds and Reimold have terrible OPS this ST. I don't know about Reimold, but the one thing about Reynolds that is consistent is his offense. He will hit 35+ HR, K 190,BB 60 +, and knock in 80+ RBI, book it.

What Gordo ^^^ said. Reynolds is offensive production. I think Reimold is poised for greatness this year. He will hit. His speed and his game will play. Plenty enough to give him left field.

This was Arrieta's warm up before the regular season. This is where he is supposed to show he is ready. He pitched poorly. I would not be surprised if he lost his chance to be the opening day starter. Especially if Chen pitches well today.

He gave up two homers, three doubles, walked two, 10 base runners and 5 runs in 5 innings. Yet he says "But command was good, everything was pretty good." He didn't say he was working on his change up. He said he will have to work on this change up. But it appears the change up was not the only thing that didn't work for him.

Everyone has bad days. Days when you think its going to work and it doesn't. But "good command"? This is not the kind on game he or anyone would want before the team tries to get off on the right foot in the regular season.

Sorry, but 6 ties in spring training doesn't say anything at all. A pitcher getting badly roughed up in several consecutive outings in ST might be telling ...... a player striking out 7 or 8 times in 14 at-bats in ST is alarming. But 6 ties in spring training says it all ??? No.

The six ties does say it all: it says that Major League Baseball thinks so little of the outcome of spring training games that it would rather not risk the arms of one of the 43 pitchers in camp in order to put a W or an L down on the Grapefruit League standings that will be almost completely forgotten in a week.

This was Arrieta's warm up before the regular season. This is where he is supposed to show he is ready. He pitched poorly. I would not be surprised if he lost his chance to be the opening day starter. Especially if Chen pitches well today.

He gave up two homers, three doubles, walked two, 10 base runners and 5 runs in 5 innings. Yet he says "But command was good, everything was pretty good." He didn't say he was working on his change up. He said he will have to work on this change up. But it appears the change up was not the only thing that didn't work for him.

Everyone has bad days. Days when you think its going to work and it doesn't. But "good command"? This is not the kind on game he or anyone would want before the team tries to get off on the right foot in the regular season.

Wildcard, you're not seriously suggesting that if Chen has a good outing today he will pitch opening day, are you?

Clearly Arrieta had a bad day yesterday but let's not overreact. Arrieta will pitch Friday because, frankly, he's the only one who has done it here before. On performance Hunter or Hammel should probably get the start but why put them in that position if you don't have to. Jake the right choice for opening day and I think Showalter knows it.

Wildcard, you're not seriously suggesting that if Chen has a good outing today he will pitch opening day, are you?

Clearly Arrieta had a bad day yesterday but let's not overreact. Arrieta will pitch Friday because, frankly, he's the only one who has done it here before. On performance Hunter or Hammel should probably get the start but why put them in that position if you don't have to. Jake the right choice for opening day and I think Showalter knows it.

Well of course he is. That's wildcard's thing, he puts great emphasis on spring training results over spring training preparation and approach. I have a fair amount of confidence that the Orioles emphasize and weight the appropriate things an appropriate amount.

The six ties does say it all: it says that Major League Baseball thinks so little of the outcome of spring training games that it would rather not risk the arms of one of the 43 pitchers in camp in order to put a W or an L down on the Grapefruit League standings that will be almost completely forgotten in a week.

I have to admit, the beginning of your first sentence raised my eyebrows ...... :scratchchinhmm: which is why it is important to read the entire post. :)

I am not a big fan of "I gave up six runs but I felt fine." Not even in an exhibition game. Cal didn't even like to lose at checkers.

How about "I didn't pitch well today and that is unacceptable but I felt ok." I'd just like to hear that these guys get it. Losing is not acceptable any more.

So I guess you liked what Wada had to say after his last outing. That's more your style.

Honestly, I don't care much what they say. I care what they do. I wouldn't have been happy with Arrieta's outing yesterday no matter what he had said about it. He's a very competitive guy -- I have no doubt about that. That doesn't mean he can locate the change-up low in the zone.

Back to the OP, I think it is a very good post. There is a lot of internal competition and a lot of options if someone fails.

If you think you know who is pitching opening day then I say think again. Not only did Arrieta struggle yesterday but two starters pitch today - Chen and Hunter. Any one of the three could be the opening day starter.

Also Buck is not only lining up the starters for opening day, the starter that pitches opening day also comes back and pitches vs the Yankees on April 11th. Who's ready and who is not.

If Arrieta is not pitching particularly well right now would Buck rather have him pitch the 2nd game against the Twins and miss the Yankees? Its Buck's call and he is not telling quite yet.

So I guess you liked what Wada had to say after his last outing. That's more your style.

Honestly, I don't care much what they say. I care what they do. I wouldn't have been happy with Arrieta's outing yesterday no matter what he had said about it. He's a very competitive guy -- I have no doubt about that. That doesn't mean he can locate the change-up low in the zone.

Back to the OP, I think it is a very good post. There is a lot of internal competition and a lot of options if someone fails.

I just don't think it is a very good mind set when a pitcher gives up 10 base runners and 5 earned runs in 5 innings and say he had "good command". The guy should be honest with himself about where he is and where he has to go to be effective.

Archived