Mike Bordick?

Going Underground

Aside from being a bit pompous, I think Jim Palmer is a GREAT color commentator. I don't see why some don't like him...

He has Joe Thiesman Disease. He knows it all, he knows he knows it all, and he has no problem telling you that he knows it all.

If I had accomplished the things he has in this game, I'd probably be that way, too.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester

Mike B has never been a broadcaster... I hope he makes it but I can imagine that it is a lot tougher than most here think...

Aside from being a bit pompous, I think Jim Palmer is a GREAT color commentator. I don't see why some don't like him...

Very serious. He is annoying, pompous, communicates almost nothing of value or substance (which is the definition of a "windbag"), casually mentions obscure names that people my age remember, but most wouldn't (Larry Hisle, Larry Harlow, Tommy Hutton), name drops about current players on other teams that he has discussions with (I'm sure when they see him coming they want to just disappear). The man has been married and divorced four times for a reason. He is super annoying.

I turn the tv sound down and radio sound on whenever he is on the air. Can't stand him.

Very serious. He is annoying, pompous, communicates almost nothing of value or substance (which is the definition of a "windbag"), casually mentions obscure names that people my age remember, but most wouldn't (Larry Hisle, Larry Harlow, Tommy Hutton), name drops about current players on other teams that he has discussions with (I'm sure when they see him coming they want to just disappear). The man has been married and divorced four times for a reason. He is super annoying.

I turn the tv sound down and radio sound on whenever he is on the air. Can't stand him.

I've just done the same with you.

Let me guess, you're ex wife #3?

You had a meaningful critique going until that. That was uncalled for and unnecessary, and therefore your otherwise respectable argument went out the door. Stuff like that isn't necessary.

You had a meaningful critique going until that. That was uncalled for and unnecessary, and therefore your otherwise respectable argument went out the door. Stuff like that isn't necessary.

It wasn't particularly meaningful when he called him a "windbag" because he offers "nothing of value or substance." Nor when he speculated whether players on other teams want to talk with him. Nor when he assumed that people who weren't alive to see Hisle, Harlow or Hutton play don't want to hear about them (I wasn't, and I do). So, I disagree. Respectfully.

But you're right, the divorce shot was uncalled for, though indicative of the quality of many of H10s posts.

I think Bordick is settling in nicely. Give him some time to get his land legs.

I agree. He's only going to improve. Ordinarily, I don't like when broadcasters say "we" too much. But Bordick was only here for one winning season during his O's career, yet still self-identifies as an Oriole. I think that's kinda cool.

I agree. He's only going to improve. Ordinarily, I don't like when broadcasters say "we" too much. But Bordick was only here for one winning season during his O's career, yet still self-identifies as an Oriole. I think that's kinda cool.

Re: Bordick - learning to talk w/ inflection and enthusiasm doesn't come naturally for all, but I think he'll get the hang of it. The pink glove comment was unfortunate - he needs to be more aware (that's far too Dempsey-esque) - but otherwise I think he has some decent insight into the game. Ben and Brady were better, but that's okay. He's lucky to work w/ Thorne (a sentence I never thought I'd write).

I feel like I'm watching golf when Bordick is speaking. That said he hasn't been awful and there have been a couple times I've enjoyed his analysis. I think we have all been somewhat spoiled by the good color and play by play guys we have had in the booth recently. I'll give him time to grow.

Re: Bordick - learning to talk w/ inflection and enthusiasm doesn't come naturally for all, but I think he'll get the hang of it. The pink glove comment was unfortunate - he needs to be more aware (that's far too Dempsey-esque) - but otherwise I think he has some decent insight into the game. Ben and Brady were better, but that's okay. He's lucky to work w/ Thorne (a sentence I never thought I'd write).

Thorne has really grown on me (a sentence I never thought I'd write,either:)) Listening to Mel Proctor on the 2131 game last night gave me a greater appreciation of Gary. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I never liked Proctor. Too "Brent Musberger" for my taste.

I hope he does also, because right now, it's causing me to fall asleep. You're right, he's certainly by far, not a natural. But, he's a likeable guy, so hopefully in time, it will all come together for him. Gotta give him credit for trying, though.

I never thought I'd hear Thorne correcting someone else in the booth, as he's the one that's usually off the mark. The remark about the pink glove was a very unfortunate comment for Mike. I was uncomfortable for him.

With Thorne, I enjoy his stories and his laugh is certainly infectious. He really keeps the booth lively.

Personally, I like the combo of Thorne and Palmer. Dull moment are few and far between. The play off of each other quite nicely.

Archived