Keith Law Has O's Taking Gausman

With that eating chicken every day thing hanging over his head I knew that Boggs guy wasn't going to make it.

He wasn't eating it between innings. Moreover, you can at least argue that it wasn't horrible for you. He eats 4 donuts between each inning. That is 32 in a complete game.

Are you saying his superstitions do not affect your evaluation of him in the least? I hire and have lots of people that work for me. I can tell you that something like this would make me pause and should make others. 1:4 is a pick you have to get right. There isn't enough separation between this kid and the others in the draft to justify taking a chance on someone so superstitious.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He wasn't eating it between innings. Moreover, you can at least argue that it wasn't horrible for you. He eats 4 donuts between each inning. That is 32 in a complete game.

Are you saying his superstitions do not affect your evaluation of him in the least? I hire and have lots of people that work for me. I can tell you that something like this would make me pause and should make others. 1:4 is a pick you have to get right. There isn't enough separation between this kid and the others in the draft to justify taking a chance on someone so superstitious.

I would be more concerned about drafting an older high school kid who had never been in shape in his life before his senor year of high school that is showing a velocity spike leading up to the draft.

I don't think the player in question has a mental block that requires the consumption of donuts.

I would be more concerned about drafting an older high school kid who had never been in shape in his life before his senor year of high school that is showing a velocity spike leading up to the draft.

I don't think the player in question has a mental block that requires the consumption of donuts.

Why would you say this? He has been doing it since 6th grade.

Also, you are creating a false comparison. Who is the player that you are referring to that is being talked about a 1:4? And I guess you would have passed on Strasburg since he found his velocity in college after he got in shape.

You have to find ways to differentiate these guys. As I said this is just a disqualifier for me at 1:4, not in the first round or the draft in total.

If Kevin Gausman were weak minded, I can guarantee you that Paul Mainieri would not have placed him into a Friday night starting role in the SEC. If a pro team were to take away this "crutch," do you really think that Gausman is so weak minded that he'd fold and lose his ability to pitch? Sure, it's odd and quirky, but in no way does this take away from his baseball talent.

Why would you say this? He has been doing it since 6th grade.

Also, you are creating a false comparison. Who is the player that you are referring to that is being talked about a 1:4? And I guess you would have passed on Strasburg since he found his velocity in college after he got in shape.

You have to find ways to differentiate these guys. As I said this is just a disqualifier for me at 1:4, not in the first round or the draft in total.

I was talking about someone that was drafted at 1:5, really surprised you couldn't figure that out. Big difference between someone getting in shape for a pro contract and someone going to college and figuring things out with proper guidance.

I guess you have every right to say no to a kid because of donuts but I think you are reading way too much into it.

If Kevin Gausman were weak minded, I can guarantee you that Paul Mainieri would not have placed him into a Friday night starting role in the SEC. If a pro team were to take away this "crutch," do you really think that Gausman is so weak minded that he'd fold and lose his ability to pitch? Sure, it's odd and quirky, but in no way does this take away from his baseball talent.

So, in an ideal world you wouldn't want him to break this ridiculous superstition? Also, the minors are full of former #1 pitchers from the SEC that either won't make it or won't give you what you want from a 1:4.

As for how he would react to the crutch being taken away, that is an unknown that I would have to worry about with him that I would not with others.

People need to stop acting like this makes no difference. Does it make a humongous difference? No. Is it enough to make me take another equally talented guy in the same slot? Absolutely. This pick is 1:4 not 1:20 where it is much more of a crapshoot.

I was talking about someone that was drafted at 1:5, really surprised you couldn't figure that out. Big difference between someone getting in shape for a pro contract and someone going to college and figuring things out with proper guidance.

I guess you have every right to say no to a kid because of donuts but I think you are reading way too much into it.

Touche. I missed the Hobgood reference.

So, in an ideal world you wouldn't want him to break this ridiculous superstition? Also, the minors are full of former #1 pitchers from the SEC that either won't make it or won't give you what you want from a 1:4.

As for how he would react to the crutch being taken away, that is an unknown that I would have to worry about with him that I would not with others.

People need to stop acting like this makes no difference. Does it make a humongous difference? No. Is it enough to make me take another equally talented guy in the same slot? Absolutely. This pick is 1:4 not 1:20 where it is much more of a crapshoot.

His superstition doesn't really bother me one way or the other. If he proves that he pitch deep into ballgames and be effective, I could care less about what he likes to do between innings.

Sure, there are former frontline starters in the SEC who did not have pro success later on, but not all Friday night guys are created equally. Gausman has more going for him than Hudson Randall, TJ Pecoraro, or Alex Wood. My point is, an established and highly respected coach like Paul Mainieri would not put Gausman in this role if he were weak minded, donuts or not.

Unless there was something that you did not like about Gausman's mechanics, statistical performance, or attitude, I don't really see how this affects his draft stock now versus any time prior to today.

Make-up is absolutely a non-issue with Gausman. As certain as you can be that the mental side of things will not affect on-field performance of a prospect, that's how certain you can be that Gausman is not going to wilt as a result of failures or setbacks generally associated with a developmental curve in the minors. He's a good egg. There are things you can wonder about with KG, but make-up isn't one of them.

As an aside, since he was mentioned, I'm glad Pecoraro is back and building his velocity up. I remember him as a HS junior -- he went to school near me when I was starting my scouting efforts.

Not to derail too much, but yes, it's been a lot of fun watching TJ come on strong late in the year. It's absolutely amazing that he's been able to bounce back so quickly after surgery. Without Pecoraro, Vanderbilt probably fails to make a regional this year.

FYI Mark Buehrle drinks a giant Rockstar energy drink before each one of his starts. Last I checked he's a pretty good starting pitcher.

Players have been using caffeine forever to increase their athletic prowess

For what it's worth, Law now has the O's going with Carlos Correa, saying:

The O's want the best player available, period. They've been adamant about that all spring, and given the lack of depth in their system, it makes sense. I could also see Kyle Zimmer or Kevin Gausman here, and I've heard Albert Almora mentioned recently as well.

Archived