Jeffrey Maier

weams

To me it is pretty clear the fan reached into the filed of play, and the second he did that he was wrong and the play should have been overturned.

You are the third person in this thread to quote me and reply that it is "clear" the fan reached on to the field of play. Other than the straight on shot of the play, show me why it is "clear", because I am not convinced there is enough evidence to make that claim.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Avery's glove was behind the wall, then the fan didn't bring the ball over the wall, and he was within his right to try to catch the ball. If Avery's glove was directly above the wall or in front of it, then the fan's glove was over the field of play, and it should have been fan interference.

Avery's glove was probably behind the wall, but the fan reached in front of Avery and in front of the wall.

If the fan was behind the wall that is fine, but the fan may not reach into the field of play at any time.

Since OPACY changed the fence in right field this past winter, why not change the left field fence so this type of thing does not happen. Either put up a basket like at Wrigley's left field or just remove the first row of seats and make it so fans can't interfere.

:) He was a kid:) Give me some slack:)

WTF? Hell no. When I was a kid and did something wrong, I paid the price for it. I apologized, fixed or replaced whatever I broke, and dealt with any additional punishment that came my way.

He was a kid wearing a MFYankee jacket. He deserves no breaks at all. The fact that the fans didn't jump all over him ? at least verbally ? was just as bothersome, if not mores, as the fact that Showalter didn't object.

Avery's glove was probably behind the wall, but the fan reached in front of Avery and in front of the wall.

If the fan was behind the wall that is fine, but the fan may not reach into the field of play at any time.

I agree with you 100%. If the fan reached onto the field of play, it was fan interference.

I also believe that the replay on Gameday doesn't provide the evidence needed to reach that conclusion.

That's not what I saw. Avery's glove was not behind the wall at the moment the fan made contact with it. Therefore the fan interferred.

I think it was pretty clear that the fan was reaching out over into the field of play. You make a good distinction in that Avery may have still been reaching over the fence but that doesn't mean that the fan wasn't reaching out into the field of play.

Since OPACY changed the fence in right field this past winter, why not change the left field fence so this type of thing does not happen. Either put up a basket like at Wrigley's left field or just remove the first row of seats and make it so fans can't interfere.

Agreed...you have to take away that row of seats. Now. Apparently these are MFY seats anyway. That's not the way I EVER want to lose a game. And yes, we won. Just sayin'.

I think it was pretty clear that the fan was reaching out over into the field of play. You make a good distinction in that Avery may have still been reaching over the fence but that doesn't mean that the fan wasn't reaching out into the field of play.

Again, I agree with this 100%.

However, the replay on Gameday doesn't prove that this is what happened.

That's not what I saw. Avery's glove was not behind the wall at the moment the fan made contact with it. Therefore the fan interferred.

It looks to me Avery was reaching out directly over the top, maybe even slightly over the top of the fence with his hand. The fan of course was higher up and reaching out over the top of Avery's glove. I think it's clear that the fan's glove was out over in the field of play. I don't know how you can watch the last 10 sec of the following Yes clip and not think that some part the fan's glove wasn't in the field of play.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_05_15_nyamlb_balmlb_1&highlight_content_id=21466881&c_id=nyy

You are the third person in this thread to quote me and reply that it is "clear" the fan reached on to the field of play. Other than the straight on shot of the play, show me why it is "clear", because I am not convinced there is enough evidence to make that claim.

faninterference.jpg

This is the second the ball went into Yankee-fan's glove.

1) Look at the lines surrounding the Yankee fan. He is clearly leaning forward.

2) Avery's arm is fairly straight.

3) Unless Avery is double jointed or made of some kind of rubber his arm could not have been sufficiently behind the wall for the Yankee fan to have his glove FULLY IN FRONT of Avery's. He simply had to reach into the field of play.

Archived