I have returned (with info on Roberts)

DiggetyDon

hmm. Interesting. Those are good things. Guys who put pitches where they want them are hard to find. No fans know that like we do. Add a good curve? Puzzling then why they say his ceiling is as a #3.

My guess is because his changeup isn't refined yet.

Now, he is also just 21...Turns 22 on Dec 30...So, he has plenty of time.

My guess is, if he can get his changeup right, he may be more of a #2 type guy.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to this article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-071205cubs,1,2153650.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

The Cubs really want Roberts bad. Pinella and Hendry love him.

The article contradicts what davearm has been saying here:

The Cubs view Roberts as a big upgrade over Matsui who the Cubs tried to sign this winter, who would have been an upgrade over DeRosa.

Pie is not in their plans for this year. They want Fukudome. If not, DeRosa would move to RF.

Also, it states that Roberts would indeed be the leadoff hitter and Soriano would move down the order.

So, we hold out for Pie and Gallagher. DEAL !

Gallagher has some good stats.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Sean-Gallagher.shtml

I like Murton...I think he can be an 780-850 OPS guy. I have no problem with him in LF.

However, if you get Kemp in a Bedard trade, Kemp should be in LF...He apparently can play CF but isn't great there.

So, unless the Orioles scouts feel Kemp can play CF, i am not sure Murton should be a target.

The real problem I have with this trade is Patterson...If he could play second, even at an average rate, i would take this trade in a heartbeat.

However, if all he ends up being is a 4th OFer, he is nothing more than a throw in...Now, for what I read, it seems like his footwork is the real problem at second..If the Orioles feel he has the arm and range for second and that they can work with him on his footwork, then it may be worth it.

I remember when Aramis Ramirez was in Pittsburgh and many on here said he was terrible at third and didn't want him. I argued then that his footwork and laziness were the problem and that if he had better coaching and a better attitude, that he was young enough to change...And he has.

So maybe EPat can do the same at second???

This is not a trade that satisfies me for BRob however, if the scouts feel he could play second and that Kemp can play CF(of course, that is assuming we get Kemp), then I will be ok with this trade.

Why not Kemp in LF, Murton in RF, Markakis is in CF. I think Markakis would be ok in CF. He's got pretty good speed.

The more I read about Pie for not only his talent but his mindset etc the more I think he is a perfect fit for this team. I think MacPhail will make him part of the deal if they trade them Roberts. I would rather send them a prospect and get Gallagher and Pie then the current deal on the table for Roberts alone.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-071205cubs,1,2153650.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

The Cubs view Roberts as a big upgrade over Matsui who the Cubs tried to sign this winter, who would have been an upgrade over DeRosa.

Pie is not in their plans for this year. They want Fukudome. If not, DeRosa would move to RF.

It still says they are adamant that they won't trade Pie or Hill...

You might very well be right here. Another situation where the O's have to wait on another player. Do you think that if the Cubbies get Fukudome, then maybe Pie becomes more tradeable? Pie/Gallagher would be a great get.

This is a fair return on Roberts but I hold off on making this deal until after Bedard is traded. If we get a RF, I do what I have to do to get Pie in the deal, assuming the Cubs sign Fukudome it shouldn't be impossible.

I don't understand the comment about Pie being unavailavble unless the Orioles add a SP prospect to the deal. Who would we add thats better than Gallagher? Why couldn't you just take him out and put Pie in and be in the same situation? Obviously you'd need someone other than Murton in that scenario so the Cubs still have outfielders.

Also, it states that Roberts would indeed be the leadoff hitter and Soriano would move down the order.

Thanks for finding that article. And yes, I really hope that we make a Gallagher, Pie for Roberts deal; I think it makes a lot of sense and is incredibly fair for both teams

Archived