I have returned (with info on Roberts)

DiggetyDon

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That doesn't mean he played well there. I can't imagine why you people think this is such a great idea. Not one of these three players projects to be more than a third or fourth starter or third or fourth outfielder. We need quality, not quantity.

I think you are overrating Robert's value here. He did just turn 30, is likely to decline in the near future. His career OPS is also .760 (although I agree that doesn't really show Robert's complete offensive production).

However, this trade is easily fair value for Roberts and we should pull the trigger.

Why is everyone seem to be so low on Murton? I remember 2 seasons ago when Davearm made a bet that Murton would have a better OPS than Markakis.

I for one think the addition of Murton to our OF could potentially give us a very strong OF. Just imagine if we could add Kemp in there too. That could be one of the strongest OF's in the ML's in a year or 3.

A) That's DaveArm. B) Murton can't field. Markakis is a potential Gold Glove RF. C) Murton is also 3 years older than Markakis. I see Murton as a guy who will hit .270-.280 with 20ish homers and play lousy defense. Nothing I can get excited about. Of course if we get him I hope I'm wrong.

I think you are overrating Robert's value here. He did just turn 30, is likely to decline in the near future. His career OPS is also .760 (although I agree that doesn't really show Robert's complete offensive production).

However, this trade is easily fair value for Roberts and we should pull the trigger.

His Butt alone is worth at least another midlevel prospect. :D

That doesn't mean he played well there. I can't imagine why you people think this is such a great idea. Not one of these three players projects to be more than a third or fourth starter or third or fourth outfielder. We need quality, not quantity.

Several people have mentioned Patterson's poor defense.

Do you have any sources confirming this ?

I have read several sources (BP for one) that say he defense is fine at 2B.

The only reason I don't see the O's pulling the trigger on this one right away is because we have to deal Bedard and maybe Tejada before we think about dealing Roberts. If Bedard and Tejada stay and Roberts is the only one who is traded than I will be disapointed no matter who we get in return.

Gallagher has some good stats.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Sean-Gallagher.shtml

I like Murton...I think he can be an 780-850 OPS guy. I have no problem with him in LF.

However, if you get Kemp in a Bedard trade, Kemp should be in LF...He apparently can play CF but isn't great there.

So, unless the Orioles scouts feel Kemp can play CF, i am not sure Murton should be a target.

The real problem I have with this trade is Patterson...If he could play second, even at an average rate, i would take this trade in a heartbeat.

However, if all he ends up being is a 4th OFer, he is nothing more than a throw in...Now, for what I read, it seems like his footwork is the real problem at second..If the Orioles feel he has the arm and range for second and that they can work with him on his footwork, then it may be worth it.

I remember when Aramis Ramirez was in Pittsburgh and many on here said he was terrible at third and didn't want him. I argued then that his footwork and laziness were the problem and that if he had better coaching and a better attitude, that he was young enough to change...And he has.

So maybe EPat can do the same at second???

This is not a trade that satisfies me for BRob however, if the scouts feel he could play second and that Kemp can play CF(of course, that is assuming we get Kemp), then I will be ok with this trade.

Why is everyone seem to be so low on Murton? I remember 2 seasons ago when Davearm made a bet that Murton would have a better OPS than Markakis.

I for one think the addition of Murton to our OF could potentially give us a very strong OF. Just imagine if we could add Kemp in there too. That could be one of the strongest OF's in the ML's in a year or 3.

I tend to agree with you that I think Murton is a good OF and a guy I'd like to have on our team. However, picking him up, and then possibly Kemp in a Dodgers deal does seem to create a logjam at our corners. But, as MacPhail said, we get the talent first and then figure out where it will all play. If this would mean that Markakis or Kemp has to play CF (again, assuming we pick up Kemp), then I think it's OK for the year. Or one plays DH, or we end up making another trade. Whatever happens, I think Murton is a quality ML OF, and somebody, who along with Galagher, would be nice return for BRob IMO.

A) That's DaveArm. B) Murton can't field in right field. Markakis is a potential Gold Glove RF. C) Murton is also 3 years older than Markakis. I see Murton as a guy who will hit .270-.280 with 20ish homers and play lousy defense. Nothing I can get excited about. Of course if we get him I hope I'm wrong.

I fixed that for you so that you didn't have too much misinformation.

A) That's DaveArm. B) Murton can't field. Markakis is a potential Gold Glove RF. C) Murton is also 3 years older than Markakis. I see Murton as a guy who will hit .270-.280 with 20ish homers and play lousy defense. Nothing I can get excited about. Of course if we get him I hope I'm wrong.

Didn't realize the age difference. Makes more sence now.

The thing is, we do need quantity over quality. We don't have all the pieces in our farm system in order to compete in the future. So we need to acquire more depth in different areas and just hope some of the pan out. I feel as if we hold onto players like Mora and Roberts, they'll be too old or their skills will have declined in three or four years when we hope to be competitive.

I may be fair but Patterson is a wast IMHO...esp if we get Kemp. I want quality over quantity. If they take this and get Kemp maybe they think Markakis can play CF. I'd rather just get Pie and Gallagher and keep Nick where he is. With Trembley stressing defense I don't see them putting Patterson at 2B. Get Pie and hopefully Wood and Hu will be the middle infield.

Murton to me is a .275, 15hr outfielder. Dime a dozen. The offer isn't terrible, but it's not quite enough for me. I would definitely advocate sending them Olson, and in return they replace Murton with Pie. Do that, and I wouldn't hate it.

Archived