Umpire Bob Davidson suspended one game for repeated violations

xian4

of the Office of the Commissioner's standards for situation handling.

WOW - new one on me

waiting for full story

The man's recent actions-

<object width="400" height="254"><param name="movie" value="http://mlb.mlb.com//shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?width=400&height=254&content_id=21456561&property=mlb" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="scale" value="noscale" /><param name="salign" value="tl" /><embed src="http://mlb.mlb.com//shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?width=400&height=254&content_id=21456561&property=mlb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" window="transparent" width="400" height="254" scale="noscale" salign ="tl" /> </object>

nice one, wasn't the best way of calming or dealing with the situation, surprised he didn't get a longer suspension as he was found guilty. The players usually get 4/5 game suspensions. Charlie Manuel also picked up a one game suspension

I believe that the last time an umpire was suspended was a few of years ago when that ump bumped the Mets' manager. Ironically, the name of the Mets' manager at that time was Jerry Manuel.

The man's recent actions-

<object width="400" height="254"><param name="movie" value="http://mlb.mlb.com//shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?width=400&height=254&content_id=21456561&property=mlb" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="scale" value="noscale" /><param name="salign" value="tl" /><embed src="http://mlb.mlb.com//shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?width=400&height=254&content_id=21456561&property=mlb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" window="transparent" width="400" height="254" scale="noscale" salign ="tl" /> </object>

This video isn't working for me, but I'm really curious to see what he did.

He stepped forward to block the catcher from going after the ball then when Manuel barked about it from the dugout he started shouting obscenities at the dugout. Given his volume I have to assume any children in good seats would have heard him. Manuel comes out and they shout brim to brim for a bit.

1-2 count, curveball got away from Brian Schneider. Castro swung and missed and the ball got away, letting Castro get to 1st.

When the ball got away Davidson signaled immediately but took a couple steps and accidentally blocked Schneider's path to the backstop.

He immediately heard something from the Phillies bench about being in the way and blocking the catcher so he yelled, "You think I wanted to block his ass? What the he** are you yelling at?"

Charlie said something again and he was tossed. He then got red hot (understandably) and got nose-to-nose with Davidson.

He stepped forward to block the catcher from going after the ball then when Manuel barked about it from the dugout he started shouting obscenities at the dugout. Given his volume I have to assume any children in good seats would have heard him. Manuel comes out and they shout brim to brim for a bit.

Thanks, just saw it. Works in IE, but not Chrome.

I'm starting to think we need term limits on umpires. If an umpire has been around long enough that you know his name, chances are he sucks at his job.

Thanks, just saw it. Works in IE, but not Chrome.

I'm starting to think we need term limits on umpires. If an umpire has been around long enough that you know his name, chances are he sucks at his job.

MLB should have taken the opportunity provided to them by the mass resignation fiasco to make wholesale changes in how Umps work within MLB.

Archived