Bedard and the Reds(again)

weemnj

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be careful on Hamilton...Obviously he is and always has been a great talent but you he is also a classic sell high candidate right now...in a similar way Guthrie is for us, although for different reasons.

I wouldn't mind him but only in a 4-5 player deal and only if we definitely couldn't get Bruce.

The Reds keep saying they won't include Bruce but how for sure is that?

Krivsky isn't the sharpest pencil in the box, so you never know.

I think the Reds could be in on this more than anyone thinks.

We won't get Bruce and Bailey in the same deal but I do think I would prefer Cueto over Bailey.

I just wonder if they would have any interest with anyone else on our team??

I speculated a few months ago about Miggy to them...Would they be interested in adding him?

Krivsky definitely overvalues relievers...Maybe Walker or Bradford?

Bruce, Votto and Cueto for Bedard and Walker or Bradford??? If this can be done, I am not sure there is an offer out there that is better.

Bruce trumps everyone by a good margin IMO.

I have been thinking along these lines a little myself SG. But I really don't think they are going to trade Bruce for anybody. Still, I think they have the goods to get Bedard, and may also have what it takes to get Bedard and Miggy. I really like Votto. He is the guy that has to be coming back in any deal IMO. So, here is my proposal. Bedard, Olson and Miggy to the Reds. Bailey, Cueto, Votto, Keppinger and Dunn to Baltimore. We could ask for a window to extend Dunn or not. He'll get you some big draft picks next year if you don't get him extended. Bailey and Cueto soften the blow of losing Bedard. Keppinger takes Miggy's spot at SS. And first base should be handled for the long run finally.

If they would trade Bruce, I would trade them the same three for Cueto, Votto, Bruce and Keppinger. Swap Bruce for Dunn and they can keep Homer.

Everybody says the Dodgers are the ones to trade with. I don't think so. If Cinci really wants to get Bedard, they have the killer package. IMO Votto will be as good as James Loney, and Loney is very good. And LA won't talk about Loney. I would way prefer Bruce to Kemp. Or Pie. Or Jones. And Cueto appears ready to pitch in a rotation right now. KC gave up on Keppinger, and he had a great season in Cinci last year.

I think what we are starting to see is a bidding war. Seems to me all three teams we have talked about are pretty desperate for Bedard. If each was the only game in town, I doubt we'd get more than 3 players for him, but I think whoever is most desperate will separate itself from the pack by adding a 4th player.

Regardless, I have a feeling something is going to happen soon. Teams want to know as soon as possible if they have an ace for their rotations and teams want to have time to sign remaining free agents to plug holes created in trades. It said in the Reds article that Krivsky was planning on making calls on Bedard today. Hopefully something happens.

In the article:http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071209/COL09/712090377/1071/SPT it states that some in the Red's org. think there is a 75% chance a deal can be struck.

In the article:http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071209/COL09/712090377/1071/SPT it states that some in the Red's org. think there is a 75% chance a deal can be struck.

Is it wrong of me to order a Red's jersey if it happens? Never cared for another team to win in the regular season (only exception was the Cubs in their playoff run a few years back).

It is a deal I would ultimately take if it is the best one but I would explore other options.

I am just not sure what to think about Hamilton.

I think Krivsky is smart to be shopping him personally...For anyone else, i would take him.

But for Bedard? I am not sure.

Agreed....

Hamilton is very talented but it is too much of a risk IMO. If we're trading away our biggest trade chip, we need something of a known quantity.

Do the Reds have enough to get Bedard if they don't give up Bruce? I'm not sure they do, especially because 2 of their best 3 would be Cuelo and Bailey, at a time when the O's really need to be getting some position players back.

Maybe we get a 4th...Encarnacion or Hamilton.

I am very happy that some of the worst GMs in the league are getting in on this bidding. If we add in Bradford or Walker, Krivsky may go crazy and give up his entire outfield ;)

I say we propose Bedard, Bradford/Walker, and Millar for Votto, Bailey/Cueto, Encarnacion, and Hamilton.

Is it wrong of me to order a Red's jersey if it happens? Never cared for another team to win in the regular season (only exception was the Cubs in their playoff run a few years back).

Yeah, I'm with you here. There is something to actually watching a team makes some moves, improve its team, and take a run at it. The Reds are a very likeable team and its fun rooting for an underdog.

Could Bedard and other pieces actually put them in the thick of it?

It is a deal I would ultimately take if it is the best one but I would explore other options.

I am just not sure what to think about Hamilton.

I think Krivsky is smart to be shopping him personally...For anyone else, i would take him.

But for Bedard? I am not sure.

I'm not sure about Hamilton either. He's obviously immensely talented, but he only had 298 ABs last year. That suggests two things to me: injuries could be a problem and his numbers could not be as good as they looked because 300 ABs isn't a great enough sample size to weed out any fluctuation. Plus, as people have said on here, he's one relapse away. I wouldn't mind him being the 3rd player in the deal though.

Do the Reds have enough to get Bedard if they don't give up Bruce? I'm not sure they do, especially because 2 of their best 3 would be Cuelo and Bailey, at a time when the O's really need to be getting some position players back.

For some reason I doubt they'd give up both Cuelo and Bailey. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Archived