Are we about to lose Steve Johnson?

Aglets

Source: http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/05/a-decision-is-looming-for-steve-johnson-and-the-orioles.html

Dude has an ERA for the year under 3.00 and a WHIP under 1.00.

I understand he's no Dylan Bundy, but are the Orioles really going to be playing with fire here? I don't think they can afford to let this guy just walk away even if he may just end up being Berken 2.0 some day. The way we are pitching at the big league level right now, Johnson's turn might be coming this summer.

Would you like to see him added to the 40 man to prevent him from exercising his opt out?

I'd rather see him over Mahoney, Tillman, or maybe Adams on the 40 man.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Source: http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/05/a-decision-is-looming-for-steve-johnson-and-the-orioles.html

I understand he's no Dylan Bundy, but are the Orioles really going to be playing with fire here? I don't think they can afford to let this guy just walk away even if he may just end up being Berken 2.0 some day. The way we are pitching at the big league level right now, Johnson's turn might be coming this summer.

Would you like to see him added to the 40 man to prevent him from exercising his opt out?

I would remove Adams or Mahoney from the 40 man. You have to eventually reward a guy that is putting up good numbers at AAA (even though he probably won't be anything more than a #5 starter or long reliever).

Unless I am mistaken, they don't need to remove anyone as there are only 38 on the 40-man (not 39)

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=bal

Looking at the roster again, I think this is correct. Guys on the 60 day DL don't count right?

So hopefully Duquette just gives him one of those spots there and this isn't even a conversation piece. He does seem to want to have it go down to the wire though.

This is pretty easy. Add him to the 40-man roster. He's pitched well enough to be given an opportunity this year if a need arises and with Pomeranz' injury, that one less guy ahead of him on the deep depth chart.

Looking at the roster again, I think this is correct. Guys on the 60 day DL don't count right?

So hopefully Duquette just gives him one of those spots there and this isn't even a conversation piece. He does seem to want to have it go down to the wire though.

Right.

Looks like Miguel Gonzalez is about to get a spot on the 40 man. So there appears to be one final spot open for Steve Johnson still, pending more roster action.

Actually, the 40-man was at 39, not 38. Exposito wasn't listed for some reason. Melewski was correct.

So, with the addition of Gonzalez the 40 is full once again.

Right.

Actually, the 40-man was at 39, not 38. Exposito wasn't listed for some reason. Melewski was correct.

So, with the addition of Gonzalez the 40 is full once again.

OK, cool, thanks for the clarification. I didn't notice that the Expo was missing.

So with a full 40 man, this thread becomes much more interesting again. Someone has to GO if we are to make room for Steve Johnson.

I'll stand by my original 3 (Tillman, Mahoney, Adams) and I might even add Expo to the mix in terms of guys that I think we could DFA to make room for Steve.

Or, obviously, we can add B-Rob to the 60 Day DL but if they haven't done THAT by now it seems like they are not going to period unless he has a serious setback.

I could see the O's DFA'ing Nick Johnson in order to make room for Steve. The Major League position player situation gets complicated with the return of Reimold and Reynolds (and Roberts?). Kind of hard to carry a 1B/DH on the bench, especially one who hasn't been hitting - and doubt either side (O's or Johnson) are very interested in him continuing on for Norfolk. Would have to imagine Nick is out the door before someone like Joe Mahoney or Zach Phillips.

You could put stu on the 60 day disabled list. He could pitch in the minors in 40 days. An oblique will take that long for a pitcher. He felt it go pop.

Dave and I had a real nice talk about this subject. I won't go into detail, but if Steve had not gotten hurt, I am sure he would have shopped himself. I suspect that is not something he would want to do with the fact that he is coming close to the top of the depth chart for the Orioles. He is a good kid and a nice pitcher. I wish him the best wherever he end up and whatever his choice is. Buck obviously has an interest in keeping him.

They've got to keep him. His numbers this year have been stellar and it's hard to believe it, but he's still only 24. He's really made some nice adjustments since last year. I know his upside may be limited but I don't see much in Norfolk that I would pick over him. Put him on the 40.

I don't get this whole thread. Does Steve Johnson have an opt out clause? He's not on the 40 man. We can't lose him until the end of the season if he's a 6 year minor league FA.

Read the article. :)

While no one is saying much publicly right now, Johnson reportedly has an out clause in his contract that would allow him to get out of his contract and leave the organization if he is not put on the 40-man roster by June 1.

The deadline for the O's to add him is midnight Friday. After that it is Johnson's choice whether to stay or leave his hometown team. If the O's elect to not put him on the 40-man and another team is ready to do that, Johnson could opt to go to the other club.

Archived