Are we about to lose Steve Johnson?

Aglets

They've got to keep him. His numbers this year have been stellar and it's hard to believe it, but he's still only 24. He's really made some nice adjustments since last year. I know his upside may be limited but I don't see much in Norfolk that I would pick over him. Put him on the 40.

I agree, especially with our starting pitching having fallen apart as of late with Tommy Hunter and Jake. We can ill afford to let a guy go that is really coming into his own this season at the AAA level, and could definitely be used as a possible 5th starter, spot starter, and/or a long relief man for us in the near future.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They used Gonzalez right away tonight. Do you think that's reason enough to send Jake down and make room for Johnson to take Jake's next turn? I know they have off days coming up but Jake needs to figure some things out before he pitches with the big club again.

They used Gonzalez right away tonight. Do you think that's reason enough to send Jake down and make room for Johnson to take Jake's next turn? I know they have off days coming up but Jake needs to figure some things out before he pitches with the big club again.

Johnson hasn't pitched since May 19th when he left the game after 2 scoreless innings with a strained groin.

I'm not sure if that is why he hasn't pitched since.

Weams probably knows.

The Orioles have done so many stupid things during the last 14 years, so letting Steve Johnson walk away wouldn't surprise me..

You'd be surprised at how few of them deal with letting players walk when they should have been kept. Johnson is not a player that projects to last long in the majors. He's soft tossing and inconsistent with his control.

You'd be surprised at how few of them deal with letting players walk when they should have been kept. Johnson is not a player that projects to last long in the majors. He's soft tossing and inconsistent with his control.

Soft tossing is not the correct scouting report for Steve. The book on him is his secondaries are not very good.

Soft tossing is not the correct scouting report for Steve. The book on him is his secondaries are not very good.

Dave told me that he threw 94 this spring. And his split finger pitch seems to be something he has command of.

Dave told me that he threw 94 this spring. And his split finger pitch seems to be something he has command of.

I think he could end up being like JJ if he were to move to the pen. Especially if he gained a tick or two on the FB with show me type secondaries and the splitter as an out pitch he could be very successful. He already gets a lot of Ks even with secondaries that scouts think are weak.

Less than 24 hours now until this kid can simply walk away from us, and the O's get exactly 0 compensation.

Come on front office, i know there is a lot going on right now, but it's one roster spot.

I think he could end up being like JJ if he were to move to the pen. Especially if he gained a tick or two on the FB with show me type secondaries and the splitter as an out pitch he could be very successful. He already gets a lot of Ks even with secondaries that scouts think are weak.

I agree. It would be foolish to lose a guy that could be a valuable piece of our bullpen for the next few years so we can keep Ryan Adams on the roster. I would be surprised if Adams didn't clear waivers anyway.

Someone just asked Roch this on his blog.

Roch's response:

"Don't think there are any plans to put him on 40. Up to him whether he opts out of contract."

This is pretty unacceptable in my mind, if true. Maybe there is some kind of handshake agreement where Steve has said he won't do it, but come on! :mad:

This is a team that is really hurting for SP depth and we are just going to let one of our only AAA starters putting up good numbers just walk away!??!?!!

Maybe Dan will prove Roch wrong.....

How in the heck did he get an opt out clause? Maybe that's the kind of thing you'd see with a Bundy who had A+++ talent and real leverage by threatening to go to college. But Johnson was a 13th-round pick who's never been on anybody's top prospect lists. He must have one heck of an agent. He's literally the only random minor leaguer I've ever heard of having this kind of deal prior to his six-year minor free agency.

How in the heck did he get an opt out clause? Maybe that's the kind of thing you'd see with a Bundy who had A+++ talent and real leverage by threatening to go to college. But Johnson was a 13th-round pick who's never been on anybody's top prospect lists. He must have one heck of an agent. He's literally the only random minor leaguer I've ever heard of having this kind of deal prior to his six-year minor free agency.

He was a minor league free agent. We resigned him. It was the carot that they dangled to use him as insurance and get him back in the fold in case we needed him. Then we got more pitchers. And he was good, so a dilemna

Archived