Sun: Players want free agent help

FellsPointOsFan

Surprised this isn't posted yet. The promised part III of the Sun's 2006 postmortem is out.

With some big contracts expiring, the Sun estimates that the team's payroll has dipped to $60 mill. The players quoted here are pretty much echoing the sentiments of countless OHers...

"I don't know how much more losing we can take around here without making progress," second baseman Brian Roberts said. "I think this offseason is very important."

OHers will particularly enjoy this quote:

Gibbons: "I talk to a lot of players and they love the city, they love the stadium, obviously. But guys want to win. Guys want to know the teams that commit to win. Actions speak louder than words. Though in saying that, I have all the confidence that we are going to go out there and do the best we can to make this team a contender."

Who are they targeting?

...it is expected that Washington Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano, who reached the exclusive 40-40 club (46 home runs, 41 stolen bases) this season, will be atop their wish list, ahead of Texas power-hitting outfielder Carlos Lee and Yankees first baseman-outfielder Gary Sheffield. The competition and price tag are expected to be steep for all three. One American League executive said Soriano most likely will command a six-year deal at about $16 million per season.

OHers will not enjoy this quote:

While there have been several organizational meetings over the last month, Orioles owner Peter G. Angelos has not given his executives a budget to work under. Traditionally, he has not done so, preferring to deal with potential moves on a case-by-case basis. Angelos would not comment for this article.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is nothing more than Speculation. Don't believe it. What has Grimsley ever done that make some people believe he is truthful? Nothing. He is trying his dead level best to drag other players down with him. I have never heard that Sheffield was on the juice. At least as far as I can remember.

It is nothing more than Speculation. Don't believe it. What has Grimsley ever done that make some people believe he is truthful? Nothing. He is trying his dead level best to drag other players down with him. I have never heard that Sheffield was on the juice. At least as far as I can remember.

"Sheffield also told ESPN he used another steroid called "the clear" for two months, the network reported Tuesday. He said it was to aid his recovery from workouts and that he stopped using it because it wasn't helping."

The competition and price tag are expected to be steep for all three. One American League executive said Soriano most likely will command a six-year deal at about $16 million per season.

That's actually better than I was expecting...though only about 2 years and 12 million more than I think he's worth by any standard of sanity. But hey, not my money..Os have plenty..we need a bat. Lets do it.

That's actually better than I was expecting...though only about 2 years and 12 million more than I think he's worth by any standard of sanity. But hey, not my money..Os have plenty..we need a bat. Lets do it.

Duquettes comments don't give us any reason to be excited this off-season.. sounded like a repeat of comments made in off-seasons past...

Duquettes comments don't give us any reason to be excited this off-season.. sounded like a repeat of comments made in off-seasons past...

I, too, have little hope of something that spectacular. Dellucci and Wilson are, realistically, about as good as we can hope for, and in this market, we might be shut out of that, too.

The Orioles' payroll was about $80 million in 2006, but it is down to about $60 million heading into the offseason with the expiration of several contracts, the biggest belonging to former catcher-designated hitter Javy Lopez .

I have a couple questions about this. #1 -- is this major league payroll only? #2 -- does this include Ponson (whose arbitration case still has not been settled yet)? #3 -- does this include any deferred monies for players who are no longer on the team?

This Ponson thing really bothers me. It seems the FO/Angelos is including his salary in the 2006 payroll numbers, when in fact, it has not been determined if we will actually have to pay him. Including El Sid's $10 million seems extremely misleading to me -- it elevates payroll and makes it seem like we've shelled out more than we actually have.

I'd like to see one of our local journalists pose this question/angle to the FO. Or, at least, investigate when/if the Ponson arbitration hearing will ever take place.

Witchy

I have a couple questions about this. #1 -- is this major league payroll only? #2 -- does this include Ponson (whose arbitration case still has not been settled yet)? #3 -- does this include any deferred monies for players who are no longer on the team?

This Ponson thing really bothers me. It seems the FO/Angelos is including his salary in the 2006 payroll numbers, when in fact, it has not been determined if we will actually have to pay him. Including El Sid's $10 million seems extremely misleading to me -- it elevates payroll and makes it seem like we've shelled out more than we actually have.

I'd like to see one of our local journalists pose this question/angle to the FO. Or, at least, investigate when/if the Ponson arbitration hearing will ever take place.

Witchy

Witchy, I'd have to do some research to be sure but I think the $80M is only major league payroll and doesn't not include Ponson. I don't know about deferred money. I thought the payroll for the year was a little less then that because of the money subtracted by the trades of Javy and Conine.

Hey now, you're the one with the binder of numbers from Mrs. Flanny.;)

I think the $80 million figure is creative journalism, as such I wouldn't reference it. Opening day payroll was around $72 million. Recently, Angelos talked about us having a $75 million payroll.

"Our payroll is $75 million, and our ticket prices average $22. Some of the teams we compete against charge an average of $45. We're going to have to match the competition. How to do that is a decision I will make in the future."
Source -MLB.com, Sept 21, 2006
They began this season with a $72 million payroll, according to commissioner's office compilations, up from $51 million in 2004.

"We're doing the best we can with a $75 million payroll," Angelos said. "It's tough to deal with teams that have double the payroll or triple. We expect to be increasing that payroll to compete."

How much of an increase?

"In order to be competitive in the American League East," the owner said, "you have to spend $100 million at a minimum, unless you push the right buttons and have the insight that Billy Beane and Terry Ryan have."

Source - NY Times, Sep 22, 2006

Can we not have a moratorium on steroid talk? Every time certain players are brought up as potential targets in what could become an interesting thread, someone jumps in with steroid allegations even though they've been discussed ad nauseum in other threads.

I'm getting sick of it.

I think the major problem is summed up here:

Asked about the anticipated free-agent pool, one American League general manager said: "I think there are a lot of teams that have money to spend, but the supply is not there."

We made big mistakes in 2003-04 and 2004-05, and I just don't know that it's going to be possible to make up for those mistakes this winter.

I think the major problem is summed up here:
Asked about the anticipated free-agent pool, one American League general manager said: "I think there are a lot of teams that have money to spend, but the supply is not there."

We made big mistakes in 2003-04 and 2004-05, and I just don't know that it's going to be possible to make up for those mistakes this winter.

By about 15 seconds, you stole my thunder.

Essentially that quote says, "Don't get your hopes up".

Archived