Is Maryland an NCAA tourney team?

Sports Guy

They need to go 10-6 with one really good win (UNC/Duke) or 9-7 with 2 wins over UNC/Duke. That's just to even get in the conversation.

Absolutely. The Terps can lose no more than seven losses if they were to have a 20 win season. Unless they surprise everyone during conference play, their only chance will be the ACC tourney. This isn't the year of the turtle apparently.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if they go 10-6 they would be pretty much a lock to get in. How often do ACC teams go 10-6 and get left out, even with the new teams? Especailly a recent National Champion like Maryland.

9-7 and they are definitely sweating it out, and would probably need at least one big time win. But I think they're in at 10-6 even if they don't have a marquee victory. Especially if they get an ACC tourney victory on top of that.

I don't think they'll go 10-6, or even 9-7, but if they do, they're certainly dancing.

HUGE win against a tall and powerful Savannah State team tonight. This win pretty much guarantees the Terps of a tourny bid.

Seriously though, if the Terps lose to both Holy Cross and Charlotte, then they'll only be able to lose 5 or 6 games in conference. If they beat both, they could potentially sneak by with 7 conference losses.

HUGE win against a tall and powerful Savannah State team tonight. This win pretty much guarantees the Terps of a tourny bid.

Maybe I'm just in a goofy mood, but I laughed out loud at that.

Sheesh, is it conference season yet? I'm ready to get some real games going.

As embarrassing as the Ohio and American losses were, the game that gets me the most right now is the BC game, especially because I think we win that game if Vasquez doesn't foul out so early.

I think if they go 10-6 they would be pretty much a lock to get in. How often do ACC teams go 10-6 and get left out, even with the new teams? Especailly a recent National Champion like Maryland.

9-7 and they are definitely sweating it out, and would probably need at least one big time win. But I think they're in at 10-6 even if they don't have a marquee victory. Especially if they get an ACC tourney victory on top of that.

I don't think they'll go 10-6, or even 9-7, but if they do, they're certainly dancing.

FSU was 10-6 recently and got left out.

I know, but I'll still go on record saying I don't think there is any chance Maryland is left out with a 10-6 record. It just won't happen.

Unfortunately I am going to have to go on record by saying there is no way we will ever find out this year if you're right or not.

Unfortunately I am going to have to go on record by saying there is no way we will ever find out this year if you're right or not.
Yeah I think its incredibly unlikely as well.

6-10 would be my guess at this point, and that might even be optimistic.

It'll be real interesting to see what they do once they get back to playing decent competition. Was the stench that was the Ohio and American games a short-lived thing or is that more likely who they really are. They didn't play that badly against BC, and beat Illinois earlier, so they clearly can play at least decently well. Who knows?

Maybe I'm just in a goofy mood, but I laughed out loud at that.

Sheesh, is it conference season yet? I'm ready to get some real games going.

As embarrassing as the Ohio and American losses were, the game that gets me the most right now is the BC game, especially because I think we win that game if Vasquez doesn't foul out so early.

You know I wasn't being serious right?

FSU was 10-6 recently and got left out.

If I remember right, FSU has a poor out-of-conference schedule, as do the Terps this season, and also lost in th 1st rd of the ACC tourney to Wake, who were a 12 seed. Basically FSU, was one of teh weakest 10-6 teams in ACC history.

The Terps definitely need to be a 10-6 team and win an ACC tournament game to make a case. They'll more than likely be an 8-8 team and not much of a bubble team.

Archived