Mark Reynolds is a Tease Someone Else Can Deal With

brianod

Last point for me. I have no problems with Mark Reynolds as a person. He seems like a lovely person. I just think he's incredibly limited as a baseball player and his inability to play defense

coupled with his lack of desire or inability to DH makes everything on the team revolve around him. Davis cant play 1b, Betemit out of position at 3b and it all snowballs from there. For the want of the HR ball which is NOT happening, this team goes into contorsions to get this guy in the lineup. Mark Reynolds will not be a member of this team in 2013, so why are they investing in him now?

Id rather have Davis at his natural position(1b) move Andino to 3b and put someone else in LF. If Reynolds doesnt DH, sit him.

I agree that Reynolds is the eye of the storm that includes Betemit and Davis as well. Further, I'd like to see Andino more at third as well. This team obviously makes too many errors. It's staring to catch up to them. However, I do not think that Reynolds is going anywhere. I agree that his primary position should be DH. Here's hoping that his bat starts heating up real soon.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We shall see what other GM's think about Reynolds after this year. We shall see what he signs for and where. I think some people might be in for a rude awakening.

He's not a free agent until after next year, not unless the O's buy him out and then release him. It would be interesting to see what he gets on the open market. I could see some teams wanting to bring him on as a low-cost 1B/DH, for something like 2/10.

I think the O's probably buy out his option then resign him to a more reasonable one-year deal after this season.

He hasn't done anything lately, he strikes out a lot, he has a low batting average, and he looks goofy.
I think he looks like Gary Busy before he crashed his motorcycle. I always thought that was cool. Remember him in Lethal Weapon I?

He's not a free agent until after next year, not unless the O's buy him out and then release him. It would be interesting to see what he gets on the open market. I could see some teams wanting to bring him on as a low-cost 1B/DH, for something like 2/10.

I think the O's probably buy out his option then resign him to a more reasonable one-year deal after this season.

Sorry.I meant the O's will probably buy him out if they cannot trade him. I don't think they are picking up his option.

Sorry.I meant the O's will probably buy him out if they cannot trade him. I don't think they are picking up his option.

Right, but he's under team control for next year even if they don't pick up the option. They could non-tender him, or offer him $6 mm as a qualifying offer for arbitration and keep him.

Right, but he's under team control for next year even if they don't pick up the option. They could non-tender him, or offer him $6 mm as a qualifying offer for arbitration and keep him.
Depending upon their needs at season end, thy could offer him the 2/10 Drungo suggested.

Earlier in this thread I posted a list of regular first baseman who've been equal or worse than Reynolds and it included players like Adrian Gonzalez and Eric Hosmer, Ike Davis and Justin Morneau, Alonso and Freeman, etc. He's been right around the median for production among first basemen. Sure, he's not OPS'ing 1.000. But the idea that he's on the shortlist for release or salary dump trade seems misguided, at best.

So if you were a GM, you would value Reynolds roughly on par with the others you mention here?

Some yes, some no. I place a certain amount of value on him because he's currently contracted to play for the Baltimore Orioles.

Forgive me but the stats you posted didn't prove crap. Reynolds is on pace for 12 hrs, 48 rbis, hitting 236, 332, 385. Put that with below average defense. How you can say with a straight face that those stats are acceptable or "above the median", is beyond me.

Forgive me but the stats you posted didn't prove crap. Reynolds is on pace for 12 hrs, 48 rbis, hitting 236, 332, 385. Put that with below average defense. How you can say with a straight face that those stats are acceptable or "above the median", is beyond me.

Brianod is right: median schmedian.

Why did the Orioles win tonight? What's different from the last 3 games we've lost? Well, Mark Reynolds wasn't in the lineup. There you go. Orioles-Mark Reynolds= winners.

But but but but!!!!!! He draws a lot of walks batting in the 6 hole!!!! He hasn't been as abysmal a defender at first as he was at third! His huge slump lately isn't important and doesn't matter because everyone else is slumping too!!

Those stats don't lie. But hey, he's comparable in the short term to Adrian gonzalez (not really), Eric hosmer and a few other guys who are slumping badly, so hey, why worry or complain right?

Did I mention his walks are up???? That .213 batting average, poor fielding % and nearly double as many strikeouts as hits is completely washed out by the extra walks! How can you fools not see that?

Archived