Markakis is the Key!

Capn Vivi

Where are you getting that information? The O's have been outscored 137-100 in those 28 games. That produces a pythagorean record of 10-18, 3 games worse than our 13-15 record in that stretch.

Markakis will help us when he returns, but we need a whole bunch of players to snap out of slumps, and we need our starting pitchers to do a better job.

I was surprised about that number also and hesitant to post it for that reason, but at least according to this formula for Pythagorean winning percentage: WP = RS x RA / (RS x RS) + (RA x RA)

It's correct.

Pythagorean WP = RS x RA / (RS x RS) + (RA x RA)

RA=137

RS=100

100x137 / (100x100) + (137x137)

13700 / (10000) + (18769)

13700 / 28769

0.4762 WP% x 28 games = 13.3 wins

Even when calculating it with the "more accurate" formula of RS x 1.83 / (RA x 1.83) + (RS x 1.83), you get a WP of .422 which gives you 11.8 wins, or a 12-16 record.

I'm actually curious how you got the information. I thought it was necessary to calculate it myself, but I don't usually trust myself under those circumstances, thus our dilemma.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mean to suggest that the pitching is slumping as a result of Markakis being out of the line-up. It's just an interesting coincidence that our hitters and pitching staff are both slumping at the same time.

I'm optimistic the hitters can get back on track once Markakis returns, but what hope does the pitching staff have unless Britton/Tillman/??? step in and become a third consistent starter behind Hammel and Chen? I'd like to see this team stay in contention through the end of the month so we can add a pitcher and make a run for it.

...I'm pretty sure that a lot of Oriole fans that took Nick for granted when he was playing were absolutely missing him (both on offense and defense), and wishing that he were healthy and on the playing field ........ particularly in light of a lot of the buffoonery that we have seen in the outfield in his absence...
I'd planned to type something like this, but not better than this, so I just quoted this.

This.

• 4 weeks later...
There is seriously nothing more pleasing to me, Orioles-wise, than when Nick comes through with the bat. All is right with the world when Nick produces.

I know what you mean. Nick's BA is now up to .286. Getting into his customary range. Not sure what his OBP is, but must be over .355 now. Nice to see him get some RBI opportunities from the leadoff spot tonight.

I know what you mean. Nick's BA is now up to .286. Getting into his customary range. Not sure what his OBP is, but must be over .355 now. Nice to see him get some RBI opportunities from the leadoff spot tonight.

Yep. He is dialed in right now. Hope it lasts a couple more weeks until he inevitably cools off.

One question I have is why is it that Buck can understand that Nick should hit first or second, but, by the same principle, didn't believe Hardy should be moved down in the lineup. I guess it's moot now with J.J. heating up, but it's curious to me.

There is seriously nothing more pleasing to me, Orioles-wise, than when Nick comes through with the bat. All is right with the world when Nick produces.

You nailed it. And I really have no explanation for the phenomenon you describe.

Nick Markakis is a quality player. Nothing more than that. Everybody needs one of those. His OPS doesn't do him justice because his OBP is more impressive than his SLG and since OBP is the more important stat he is better than his OPS would suggest.

You nailed it. And I really have no explanation for the phenomenon you describe.

To me it has to do with his approach at the plate. He makes the pitchers work so hard, that you want to see him rewarded for his great approach.

Archived