Markakis is the Key!

Capn Vivi

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick after May 7: .325/.380/.521

Nick since returning: .364/.405/.481

I think Nick has changed his approach a little as the leadoff hitter, just trying to get on base as much as possible and not worrying much about extra base hits.

If Nick could continue to generate an .880 - .900 OPS the rest of the season, as he has since early May, that would be a pretty nice season.

I think Nick has changed his approach a little as the leadoff hitter, just trying to get on base as much as possible and not worrying much about extra base hits.

If Nick could continue to generate an .880 - .900 OPS the rest of the season, as he has since early May, that would be a pretty nice season.

I'm looking for Markakis to get to 30+ doubles. Would be nice to see in a year where he missed so many games.

For me the most notable difference since he's back is his strike out rate. I recall him taking many third called strikes before on pitches where I'm yelling at the screen "what the heck are you thinking?" I believe I heard on the yankee broadcast last night that Nick hasnt struck out in his last 48 ABs (at the time, probably 50 now). I'm betting his BA when putting balls in play is similar, its just he's doing it more often obv

Nick's last strikeout was on July 19. Since then he has had 50 PA and no K's. He has exactly 1 K in the entire month of July (activated off DL on July 13). Pretty impressive any way you slice it.
That is really incredible.

Yeah, I hadn't realized that. Nick actually was striking out at a slightly higher than normal (for him) rate prior his injury. He is really seeing the ball well right now. That can't go on forever, but hopefully he can keep his hot hitting going for a while.

Nick also leads the team in hits (28) during July, despite not playing in a game until July 13. He's also second in doubles (6) and runs scored (13) for the month.

Which is exactly why some of us have been saying all along that Nick should be the leadoff guy. Markakis can be a .375+ OBP guy if he stops worrying about HRs.

And who knows, maybe he gets some fatter pitches in the leadoff spot as opposing pitchers don't want to walk the leadoff guy. I'm glad Buck finally wised up to the type of player that Markakis has become. He's just not that 100-RBI/20HR guy anymore, and that's fine if you use him correctly.

But for the fact that he missed 35 games, Nick would be on pace to hit 21 homers and 45 doubles this year. As it is, having missed 35 games, he's on pace to hit 17 homers and 35 doubles. I'd say his power has rebounded quite nicely after declining the last couple of seasons.

My view is, Nick can hit 1st, 2nd or 3rd and do a good job. If the O's had BRob and Mora in their primes setting the table, I'd be very happy with Nick batting 3rd. But right now, with no good candidates to fill any of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd spots besides Nick, batting him 1st is optimal to take maximum advantage of his good OBP skills.

And who knows, maybe he gets some fatter pitches in the leadoff spot as opposing pitchers don't want to walk the leadoff guy. I'm glad Buck finally wised up to the type of player that Markakis has become. He's just not that 100-RBI/20HR guy anymore, and that's fine if you use him correctly.

I should start this by saying that this is 100% conjecture on my point. Anyways, I remember first reading on mlbtraderumors.com back during Nick's injury that DD was aggresively trying to pursue a hitter with a high OBP. When Nick came back, he was immediately put into the leadoff spot. My guess is that DD didn't like the asking prices for high OBP hitters in positions of need (a la Headley) and told Buck to start batting Nick in leadoff. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate Buck as a manager and what he's done for the O's the last few years, but sometimes he comes across very stubborn in believing the old baseball doctrine. I really think batting Nick in the leadoff spot was more DD's orders than Buck changing his mind.

Could very well be, but tough to know for sure. But to add to your point, Flaherty was on fire when Omar suddenly was thrust into the starting 2B role. I was miffed about that, but it's actually worked out pretty nicely.

Oh it's impossible to be true unless someone comes outright and says it. I just found the timing very odd. I agree about Omar too, I thought DD picked him up to fill the super utility role, not be the starting 2B. It's worked out so far, but you would think they would have kept giving at bats to Flaherty.

I know it's way far down the road, but I wonder if Markakis keeps this up, is he putting himself into the leadoff next year? Even if Roberts does make it back? Or even if hopefully the O's can pickup a quality OBP bat at 3B or LF? It sure would have been nice to have seen what a full season of Reimold and Markakis at the top of the lineup could have done.

Nick is on fire! 3 for 5 with a HR tonight to raise his BA to .292 and his OPS to .830. In July, he had 31 hits in 19 games. His return has been HUGE for this team.

By the way, Hunter said he was batting .280 vs. LHP, and that was before his infield single and his HR vs. LHP in this game. I swear he was hitting about .220 vs. LHP when he got injured. So, he has really crushed LHP since his return. They also showed a graphic showing that he has been killing pitches on the inner part of the plate. Remember all that talk at the start of the year about how Nick couldn't turn on an inside pitch anymore? So much for that!

Nick is on fire! 3 for 5 with a HR tonight to raise his BA to .292 and his OPS to .830. In July, he had 31 hits in 19 games. His return has been HUGE for this team.

By the way, Hunter said he was batting .280 vs. LHP, and that was before his infield single and his HR vs. LHP in this game. I swear he was hitting about .220 vs. LHP when he got injured. So, he has really crushed LHP since his return. They also showed a graphic showing that he has been killing pitches on the inner part of the plate. Remember all that talk at the start of the year about how Nick couldn't turn on an inside pitch anymore? So much for that!

I saw that inside pitch stat as well. That has been one of Nick's biggest weaknesses IMO, and to see him really turn on those since returning from injury is really encouraging.

It'll be interesting to see how he finishes out the year, but thus far he has been HUGE and has shown some real improvement in some of his key weak areas..

Archived