Is there any chance that Gausman does not sign?

Swampdonks

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can't get free agents to take our money, and this overslot deal should show his faith in the Orioles system. We couldnt get him to sign for what MLB thought it should take.

I know this is going to sound strange, but to me, this screams that he did not really want to get drafted by us, and consequently, even if he knew he wouldnt get more next year, he took his chance to get more now because we needed him more than he needed us. Hence, we had to overpay.

I dont mind that it came down to the deadline, simply because he already has a good amt of innings on his arm this year, but to have to overpay, possibly at the expense of Poche or Velazquez bothers me. It is just sad that when it comes to negotiations some guys are more concerned with money than making their future teams more solid all around. Velazquez or Poche would have looked good in our organization simply because of the dearth of arms in our org

We can't get free agents to take our money, and this overslot deal should show his faith in the Orioles system. We couldnt get him to sign for what MLB thought it should take.

I know this is going to sound strange, but to me, this screams that he did not really want to get drafted by us, and consequently, even if he knew he wouldnt get more next year, he took his chance to get more now because we needed him more than he needed us. Hence, we had to overpay.

I dont mind that it came down to the deadline, simply because he already has a good amt of innings on his arm this year, but to have to overpay, possibly at the expense of Poche or Velazquez bothers me. It is just sad that when it comes to negotiations some guys are more concerned with money than making their future teams more solid all around. Velazquez or Poche would have looked good in our organization simply because of the dearth of arms in our org

I understand your point.

But realistically...I don't think you can blame Gausman or his agent for negotiating as fiercely as they could. Essentially he's now the property of the Baltimore Orioles for the next several years. It's a business. He has no real emotional ties to the team so why would he feel compelled to make any less than he can? The team will not be extending him any special courtesies in the initial years of his contract. His agent wouldn't be serving him to the best of his ability if he didn't get him the most amount of money the Orioles were willing to pay. It is what it is.

I agree Velazquez and Pooche would have been nice. But...I think that's on the Orioles, not Gausman and his agent.

It is just sad that when it comes to negotiations some guys are more concerned with money than making their future teams more solid all around.

Why is your sadness directed at Gausman? Ours is the only FO to go overslot with these first six or seven guys in the first round. Are you telling me that if we had signed everyone from picks 2-10 to slot $ that Gausman would have turned down slot of $4.2M (holding out for $4.3M) and gone back to school? Our FO was completely out-negotiated here, IMO.

Archived