Marlins and Orioles discussing scenarios

Greg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I apologize if this is redundant, but I've read that the Marlins may have Giancarlo Stanton on the block. I'd give them Bundy for this guy.

Isn't he dealing with a knee injury?

If healthy, though, I certainly wouldn't scoff at the idea. I wouldn't be gung-ho either, though.

Holy CRAP I'm halfway finished with the freakin' bar exam!!!

So...did that stupid, Godawful test keep me from hearing anything important? What's this about the O's trading for a slightly-more-productive, younger Betemit clone?

It's about time you came back to your senses and put that silly test down. There are important things happening here. Pay attention!!! :mad:

Best of luck my friend. :)

I apologize if this is redundant, but I've read that the Marlins may have Giancarlo Stanton on the block. I'd give them Bundy for this guy.

Wow. Now we're talking. Stanton = Stud.

Machado, Matusz, Arrieta, Hoes, Flaherty, Davis, plus C prospect for Stanton and Handley.

Wow. Now we're talking. Stanton = Stud.

Machado, Matusz, Arrieta, Hoes, Flaherty, Davis, plus C prospect for Stanton and Handley.

Stanton isn't going anywhere. Even if he were, the Marlins wouldn't settle for anything less than Bundy. A whole bunch of lesser prospects won't do it. It's about quality, not quantity.

Stanton isn't going anywhere. Even if he were, the Marlins wouldn't settle for anything less than Bundy. A whole bunch of lesser prospects won't do it. It's about quality, not quantity.

So Machado is chopped liver now.

So Machado is chopped liver now.

No, but he's not developed enough to net a Stanton who is already performing at an all-star level and not even in his arbitration years yet.

Why would the Marlins trade a sure-thing player making the minimum (Stanton) for an unproven (while highly rated) prospect and a bunch of mediocre throw-ins?

The Marlins are trying to trade Johnson and Ramirez because they will be making a lot of money in 2013. That's not the case with Stanton.

?One GM told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that the Marlins are expected to listen on any player not named Giancarlo Stanton or Jose Reyes. However, the Marlins would likely have to be overwhelmed to trade Mark Buehrle.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/nl-east-notes-hamels-nationals.html

This isn't one of their patented firesales. They are trying to restructure some of the bad contracts on the books, not blow up the whole thing.

Hanley is on the block because they've grown tired of his underperformance and think he's a malcontent. His reluctance to move to 3B for Reyes probably has a lot to do with it. The most recent incident involving Ramirez's punching of the cooling fan and the subsequent hand infection after failing to take his antibiotics appears to be the final straw for the Marlins front office.

Stanton is one of the few players on the Marlins who performed up to expectations. He's also very affordable. If the Orioles offered Bundy and Machado, I think the Marlins would likely refuse. Stanton is not going anywhere. You can take that to the bank.

No, but he's not developed enough to net a Stanton who is already performing at an all-star level and not even in his arbitration years yet.

Why would the Marlins trade a sure-thing player making the minimum (Stanton) for an unproven (while highly rated) prospect and a bunch of mediocre throw-ins?

The Marlins are trying to trade Johnson and Ramirez because they will be making a lot of money in 2013. That's not the case with Stanton.

...and Bundy is developed in comparison? I'm not going to argue that Machado is better than Bundy but he's still our number 2 prospect.

Sanchez is great but he's not Miguel Cabrera great. His offensive numbers are padded at home this year like a lot of the Marlins players.

I disagree that Matusz, Arrieta and Hoes are mediocre throw-ins.

I don't understand why the Marlins would deal Sanchez either, but I didn't bring his possible availability up.

I don't think the Marlins would move Stanton for Bundy, either.

Unlike Cabrera, Stanton plays some defense that's at least average to above average at a more valuable position. And unlike Cabrera at the time, he's still pre-arbitration. The home splits might be better for Stanton, but let's not pretend that the cavernous Marlins Park is favorable to hitters. I'd chalk up the discrepancy to a small sampling size.

Matusz and Arrieta have lost a ton of value in the last 2 years. I think you are overrating them considerably. Honestly, as a Marlins fan, I'm rather meh to even getting them as a return for Hanley Ramirez (I'd rather keep Hanley if that's the best the Marlins can get from the O's). I don't see either of them as being solid contributors in the 2013 rotation given their recent performance records.

This isn't one of their patented firesales. They are trying to restructure some of the bad contracts on the books, not blow up the whole thing.

Hanley is on the block because they've grown tired of his underperformance and think he's a malcontent. His reluctance to move to 3B for Reyes probably has a lot to do with it. The most recent incident involving Ramirez's punching of the cooling fan and the subsequent hand infection after failing to take his antibiotics appears to be the final straw for the Marlins front office.

Stanton is one of the few players on the Marlins who performed up to expectations. He's also very affordable. If the Orioles offered Bundy and Machado, I think the Marlins would likely refuse. Stanton is not going anywhere. You can take that to the bank.

Stanton is injured right now anyway.

Am I missing something here? Seems to me Josh Johnson is being seriously overrated in this thread.

Given his contract and injury issues I wouldn't offer more than say Arrieta, Avery + a couple lower value throw-ins for him.

I don't think the Marlins would move Stanton for Bundy, either.

Unlike Cabrera, Stanton plays some defense that's at least average to above average at a more valuable position. And unlike Cabrera at the time, he's still pre-arbitration. The home splits might be better for Stanton, but let's not pretend that the cavernous Marlins Park is favorable to hitters. I'd chalk up the discrepancy to a small sampling size.Matusz and Arrieta have lost a ton of value in the last 2 years. I think you are overrating them considerably. Honestly, as a Marlins fan, I'm rather meh to even getting them as a return for Hanley Ramirez (I'd rather keep Hanley if that's the best the Marlins can get from the O's). I don't see either of them as being solid contributors in the 2013 rotation given their recent performance records.

Well it's a 108 park factor this year per BBref, so that's for all hitters that have played there this year. Coors is probably the most cavernous park in

the league. I think it may be a little more than a sample size issue going on there.

No offense, but I think classifying "Matusz, Hoes and Arrieta" as "mediocre throw ins" might be more you undervaluing them than it is me overvaluing them. If you're meh to getting those three in return for Hanley Ramirez right now you are probably letting your Marlindom get the best of you.

But yeah, I agree that Stanton is a stud baseball player and I could see the Marlins being reluctant to deal him.

Archived