Marlins and Orioles discussing scenarios

Greg

I think I'd rather go just for Josh Johnson and keep Ramirez out of the deal. I'm alright with bringing pitchers over from the NL, but am weary about bringing hitters over. If we bring anyone over, guys like Polanco and DeJesus make sense because they are familiar with the AL. When it's all said and done, you could probably get Johnson for Britton, Schoop, and a comp pick. Polanco and DeJesus could be had for peanuts.

Am I reading this wrong.. You would rather have Polanco than H Ramirez?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I reading this wrong.. You would rather have Polanco than H Ramirez?

In terms of what it would take as far as giving up a lot of our prospects, yes. Polanco is a good stretch run guy that has helped some AL and NL teams make that final push. Ramirez would be nice to have, definitely. Just don't want to give up a lot for a guy who has never played in the AL. Plus, we could just have Machado play 3B early next year anyway.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the importance of Machado being a Miami high school star who is often compared to A-Rod, another Miami high school star. The Marlins have a shiny new stadium in the heart of Little Havana and need to build attendance and a lot more fan interest and loyalty. That suggests to me that they might pay a lot more than expected to pry Manny loose from the O's.

They don't have what I want to give up Manny (or at least not that they'd trade).

Yes. Without a doubt.

You know I'm kidding, right?

I don't know. You also said you'd rather have Placido Polanco than Hanley Ramirez and you have a poll comparing Josh Johnson with Francisco Liriano so I wasn't sure.

In terms of what it would take as far as giving up a lot of our prospects, yes. Polanco is a good stretch run guy that has helped some AL and NL teams make that final push. Ramirez would be nice to have, definitely. Just don't want to give up a lot for a guy who has never played in the AL. Plus, we could just have Machado play 3B early next year anyway.

Understandable. Though I think you are overblowing a conversion to the AL, talent translates eventually. Ramirez would instantly become the most talented player we have had in years. Sounds like the Marlins are selling low on a guy who people were calling the best in baseball a few years ago. Placido is a piece that can get you over the hump if you team is already laden with studs, unfortunately we still need a serious infusion of actual talent. We can keep adding the Jim Thome's of the world but that only equals rearranging the deck chairs....

I don't know. You also said you'd rather have Placido Polanco than Hanley Ramirez and you have a poll comparing Josh Johnson with Francisco Liriano so I wasn't sure.

Check out the thread "Hanley Ramirez vs. O's 3B" before you are so quick to judge. Plus, I never compared Liriano to Johnson. Just posed the question, "Who would you rather have?" I guess it's a no-brainer considering Johnson's stats this year and his arm issues. My bad.

I think Ramirez is worth looking into, especially if we can take him on largely as a salary dump, but not at all interested in Johnson. Great pitcher, but he's going to take too large of a package for it to make sense for the Orioles. I won't be surprised if Johnson goes to Toronto.

Do you know what prospect really means? Well, I tell you. It means, "Aint done sh*t yet." That's all Bundy and Machado are. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings saying this.

We were all convinced that Arrieta, Britton and Matusz were superstars 3 years ago. And look at them now. Britton is the only guy I'd even consider a legit MLB starter. I would trade away Machado and Bundy in a second for Josh Johnson and Hanley. Yes, I would trade away both of them for those guys. I'll take proven MLB talent over "prospects" any day of the week.

I'm sick of hearing about how great our farm system is or how many top 10 players from Baseball America we have in the minors. Remember people, a prospect=Aint done sh#t yet.

Do you know what prospect really means? Well, I tell you. It means, "Aint done sh*t yet." That's all Bundy and Machado are. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings saying this.

I would trade away Machado and Bundy in a second for Josh Johnson and Hanley. Yes, I would trade away both of them for those guys.I'll take proven MLB talent over "prospects" any day of the week.

Remember people, a prospect=Aint done sh#t yet.

Hope you've got your helmet and flak jacket on.

We were all convinced that Arrieta, Britton and Matusz were superstars 3 years ago. And look at them now. Britton is the only guy I'd even consider a legit MLB starter. I would trade away Machado and Bundy in a second for Josh Johnson and Hanley. Yes, I would trade away both of them for those guys. I'll take proven MLB talent over "prospects" any day of the week.

I'm sick of hearing about how great our farm system is or how many top 10 players from Baseball America we have in the minors. Remember people, a prospect=Aint done sh#t yet.

You listen to a lot of AM sports radio, don't you?

Archived