Marlins and Orioles discussing scenarios

Greg

Do you know what prospect really means? Well, I tell you. It means, "Aint done sh*t yet." That's all Bundy and Machado are. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings saying this.

We were all convinced that Arrieta, Britton and Matusz were superstars 3 years ago. And look at them now. Britton is the only guy I'd even consider a legit MLB starter. I would trade away Machado and Bundy in a second for Josh Johnson and Hanley. Yes, I would trade away both of them for those guys. I'll take proven MLB talent over "prospects" any day of the week.

I'm sick of hearing about how great our farm system is or how many top 10 players from Baseball America we have in the minors. Remember people, a prospect=Aint done sh#t yet.

While I wouldn't move Bundy in that particular deal I agree with your overall point. The OH overrates prospects. Fact. I guess every does though, I mean weren't people calling the Royals farm system the greatest ever two years ago. Where has that gotten them?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you know what prospect really means? Well, I tell you. It means, "Aint done sh*t yet." That's all Bundy and Machado are. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings saying this.

We were all convinced that Arrieta, Britton and Matusz were superstars 3 years ago. And look at them now. Britton is the only guy I'd even consider a legit MLB starter. I would trade away Machado and Bundy in a second for Josh Johnson and Hanley. Yes, I would trade away both of them for those guys. I'll take proven MLB talent over "prospects" any day of the week.

I'm sick of hearing about how great our farm system is or how many top 10 players from Baseball America we have in the minors. Remember people, a prospect=Aint done sh#t yet.

While I completely disagree, I can imagine that you aren't alone with this mentality.

The common Orioles fan over the past 15 years has heard about prospect after prospect and see little to nothing at the major league level.

You have to remember that Bundy and Machado are on a different level than the Matt Rileys of the past.

To a point I kind of agree with you on this. We have had so many failed prospects, its hard to count. For years I have been reading "So and So will be a good stop gap til the Matt Riley era..or the Larry Bigbie era or some other BS. At some point you have to stop dealing in prospective players and deal with real proven talent.

Another thing I hear so much is how a player is "too old" for the Orioles. You guys do know that most playoff teams are made of a good mix of veterans and young players. Not everyone has to be 25 yrs old to contribute.

All that being said, with Hanley Ramirez's decline I am not sure I would trade either of those "prospects for him". I am not, however, opposed to trading them in the right deal.

I was just stating what it took to get Cabrera and Willis. It was a king's ransom.

Obviously it wouldnt take nearly that to get Hanley/Johnson, but some of the suggestions NOT including Machado are just extremely unlikely to happen. The marlins would go elsewhere.

This says it all.

Its characterized as a "kings ransom" yet none of the 6 players that Det gave up did anything for the Marlins or amounted to much of anything anywhere

JTrea? Is that you?

Archived