Mark Reynolds OPS is .731...

EagleOriole

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess you won't be joining in the fun then ???

Oh well.

Thrilled for the guy. The blind squirrel found a nut against a guy who's been getting shelled lately. He now has more home runs than he has errors for the season.

I do enjoy that you immediately thought of me the moment he finally had a good game. I didn't feel the need to drag this thread up game after game after game when he batted .207 and had a grand total of 2 home runs, 10 rbi's and 29 k's in the month of July and OPS .643 but I'm glad now that he's had a couple good games in August you are lamely attempting to throw it in my face as though it proves anything other than that......he is having a few good games in August.

I'm delighted he finally did something. He was aiming to set a record as one of the least productive slugging first baseman in the history of baseball. Maybe this will finally get him going. We all hope it will be the start of something big. I will admit, he has looked a little bit better at the plate lately, certainly far better than he did during July when he was stinking the joint out and you were still trying to convince us all of how "clutch" he was. The guy had 10 rbi's the entire month and 8 of those came in a total of 3 games, 4 in of those in a 19-7 blowout to Minnesota and 2 more in a 10-2 win over Cleveland.

But hey, he's Mr. Clutch because he finally had a good game, in a win, when we actually NEEDED him too. Congrats on being right all along. lol

It's time for everyone to stop bickering and enjoy the ride. Let Reynolds finish his season and we'll see where he is when the dust clears. This thread was started when Reynolds was at a low point. Now he's at his highest point in about a month. Hopefully he can keep it going and get his OPS into a respectable range by October 3 when the season is over. The team certainly will benefit if he finishes strong.

Thrilled for the guy. The blind squirrel found a nut against a guy who's been getting shelled lately. He now has more home runs than he has errors for the season.

I do enjoy that you immediately thought of me the moment he finally had a good game. I didn't feel the need to drag this thread up game after game after game when he batted .207 and had a grand total of 2 home runs' date=' 10 rbi's and 29 k's in the month of July and OPS .643 but I'm glad now that he's had a couple good games in August you are lamely attempting to throw it in my face as though it proves anything other than that......he is having a few good games in August.

I'm delighted he finally did something. He was aiming to set a record as one of the least productive slugging first baseman in the history of baseball. Maybe this will finally get him going. We all hope it will be the start of something big. I will admit, he has looked a little bit better at the plate lately, certainly far better than he did during July when he was stinking the joint out and you were still trying to convince us all of how "clutch" he was. The guy had 10 rbi's the entire month and 8 of those came in a total of 3 games, 4 in of those in a 19-7 blowout to Minnesota and 2 more in a 10-2 win over Cleveland.

But hey, he's Mr. Clutch because he finally had a good game, in a win, when we actually NEEDED him too. Congrats on being right all along. lol[/quote']

Reynolds has a track history, with some glaring flaws and some overlooked positives. Hes hit a lot of HR over his careers and gotten on base. He slumped for a few months this year, yes, but in his career he has otherwise been consistent. So if he finishes strong, you will be wrong with your venom for Reynolds. It will be the outlying season in a career of solid numbers. So while you sit there and say Reynolds still sucks because of his terrible July, I say he cam still be a valuable player because of his career numbers.

On pace for 151 K's in just 124 games... so no, it doesn't make me feel better.

So you'd rather have contact than production and runs? Maybe it's just me, but I'll take more runs no matter what form they come in.

Do you realize that 20 of the top 25 strikeout seasons of all time also had OPSes greater than league average? And that 85% of 150+ strikeout seasons have happened with better-than-average offensive players?

He was aiming to set a record as one of the least productive slugging first baseman in the history of baseball.

Before August Reynold's OPS+ was something like 90. That's in the neighborhood of the 2000th or 2500th-worst season by a regular first baseman in baseball history. Seriously. If he was aiming for the least productive season in history he was off by about 2500 places.

I have liked Mark since we got him, even when his production hasn't been great. I've defended him when things have looked bleak. I just plain like the guy.

That said, if he goes on one of his monster streaks, he could be the force we need to really stay at the top of this wild card.

I have liked Mark since we got him, even when his production hasn't been great. I've defended him when things have looked bleak. I just plain like the guy.

Same here. I don't know what it is, but I really want to see him succeed. He seems like a good dude.

Reynolds wOBA (which I like a lot better than OPS) is up to .320, which is better than Chris Davis. Davis doesn't seem to catch nearly as much grief on here even though their production has been very similar.

Yep. Problem is people can't relate wOBA as they can OPS. I'll typically use wRC+ which park adjusts woba (similar to OPS+). Currently Reynolds is 97 wRC+ (3% below average run creator) and Chris Davis is a 94 wRC+ (6% below average run creator). I recall Reynods being around 90 and Davis around 100 not that long ago. Reynolds has had a decent run of late.

Reynolds wOBA (which I like a lot better than OPS) is up to .320, which is better than Chris Davis. Davis doesn't seem to catch nearly as much grief on here even though their production has been very similar.

Because Reynolds is making $7.5 mm and Davis is making $500 k. If Davis were making Reynolds' salary he'd be judged much more harshly. Also, his HR and RBI stats still carry weight with a lot of people.

Archived