Mark Reynolds OPS is .731...

EagleOriole

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's hoping this is the start of a hot streak.

And I'll be happy if it is, but I don't want Mark Reynolds anywhere near this team next year except perhaps as a member of the opposition. He's an enigmatic player precisely because you can build a legitimate case for him and a legitimate one against him. But I'm willing to wager that he's not here next year and we'll be better for it...

Count me as on the side of Reynolds. He is playing a nice first base, he hustles every play, and Buck obviously likes him. Now he is having a very down year at the plate, but I think he finishes strong and the Orioles work out a new deal in the offseason. Geez, the hatred for him is intense on here. I hope the same people are not his big supporters when he goes on one of his HR binges and carries the team for a stretch, which in my opinion is very likely to happen.

I'm at the point with Reynolds where I do not care what he has done this year. It looks like he is here to stay so I am personally giving him a fresh start today. Right now we are in the thick of a playoff race and we need some guys to get hot. Even if his numbers are greatly down if he finishes strong then he puts our team in a much better position. Call me naive or optimistic but I am cheering for Reynolds.

Funny how you go conveniently silent when Reynolds has a 3-for-3 game with an RBI double. Funny how you stick your fingers in your ears and ignore every single stat that was presented to you by myself and Frobby, proving that Reynolds hits well in clutch situations.

It appears you're not interested in any kind of intelligent debate, and just want to troll. My mistake for humoring you.

I certainly did find the humor in quoting stats from six years ago until today to prove that he is having a good year. Thanks for that.

Yes, he had a good game tonight. Yes, his bat looks like it may in fact finally be starting to heat up. Let's hope that is the case because we could badly use his slugging % to go up big time. His OPS is nice and all but he's been a light hitting, poor fielding (although much better since moving to 1st) disappointment in every sense of the word this year.

Baseball is a game of stats......baseball fans can find and pick and choose any stats they want to support their arguments. The vast majority of people on this board are of the opinion Reynolds has been a huge disappointment this year despite you quoting OPS from his past 6 years (despite this being is worst of those 6 years which is what this discussion was about in the first place).

If he stats heating up, we can review this again at the end of the year. That drive to deep right was impressive and shows me he might finally be turning a corner (although it may just have been a blind squirrel situation), the walks have been solid, the strikeouts have been poor and everything else has been meh.

If you are ok with that then good for you but I don't see anything you've provided that refutes my point that as a 1b/3b who was brought to this team to be a slugger and not an OBP guy, Reynolds has been a disappointment this year. None of those "clutch" situations pointed too address him striking out with a runner on 1st and no outs or just striking out in general with runners on base and less than 2 over and over again.

Again, we can go back and forth on this. But the one thing we can ALL agree on is that we hope what we've seen the past couple days is the start of something good for him at the plate! There is alot of excitement around this team right now with the call-ups of the solid young SP, Machado, the incredibly smart pick up of Quintanilla, Kakes back and raking, the imminent return of Hammel and the potential "slump busting out of" of guys like Hardy and Reynolds, there is A LOT to be excited about with this team right now.

Like I said, Reynolds is a hometown boy from here in Va Beach AND he plays for my favorite baseball team. No one hopes he turns it around more than I do.

I certainly did find the humor in quoting stats from six years ago until today to prove that he is having a good year. Thanks for that.

Yes' date=' he had a good game tonight. Yes, his bat looks like it may in fact finally be starting to heat up. Let's hope that is the case because we could badly use his slugging % to go up big time. His OPS is nice and all but he's been a light hitting, poor fielding (although much better since moving to 1st) disappointment in every sense of the word this year.

Baseball is a game of stats......baseball fans can find and pick and choose any stats they want to support their arguments. The vast majority of people on this board are of the opinion Reynolds has been a huge disappointment this year despite you quoting OPS from his past 6 years (despite this being is worst of those 6 years which is what this discussion was about in the first place).

If he stats heating up, we can review this again at the end of the year. That drive to deep right was impressive and shows me he might finally be turning a corner (although it may just have been a blind squirrel situation), the walks have been solid, the strikeouts have been poor and everything else has been meh.

If you are ok with that then good for you but I don't see anything you've provided that refutes my point that as a 1b/3b who was brought to this team to be a slugger and not an OBP guy, Reynolds has been a disappointment this year. None of those "clutch" situations pointed too address him striking out with a runner on 1st and no outs or just striking out in general with runners on base and less than 2 over and over again.

Again, we can go back and forth on this. But the one thing we can ALL agree on is that we hope what we've seen the past couple days is the start of something good for him at the plate! There is alot of excitement around this team right now with the call-ups of the solid young SP, Machado, the incredibly smart pick up of Quintanilla, Kakes back and raking, the imminent return of Hammel and the potential "slump busting out of" of guys like Hardy and Reynolds, there is A LOT to be excited about with this team right now.

Like I said, Reynolds is a hometown boy from here in Va Beach AND he plays for my favorite baseball team. No one hopes he turns it around more than I do.[/quote']

Seriously is anyone arguing that Reynolds is having a good year? It's nobody's fault but your own that you've thrown up information that has been shown to be factually wrong forcing you to back track at every turn. It's hard to imagine that anybody would take you seriously at this point.

Yes' date=' he had a good game tonight. Yes, his bat looks like it may in fact finally be starting to heat up. Let's hope that is the case because we could badly use his slugging % to go up big time. His OPS is nice and all but he's been a light hitting, poor fielding (although much better since moving to 1st) disappointment in every sense of the word this year.

Like I said, Reynolds is a hometown boy from here in Va Beach AND he plays for my favorite baseball team. No one hopes he turns it around more than I do.[/quote']

When did I ever say Reynolds is having a good year? I was responding to your inaccurate statement that Reynolds doesn't hit well in the clutch. Every single stat-- from his career, and even from this season, in a down year-- shows that he IS a good hitter in the clutch. It's time to bury the misconception that all he does is strike out and fail to move runners.

You're facing overwhelming evidence against you, so you keep trying to change the argument. Here's a review:

YOU: "All Reynolds does is strike out in the clutch!"

ME: "Well, no. He's actually been a good hitter in the clutch throughout his career. Here are the stats..."

YOU: "Well, what about this year?"

FROBBY: "He's actually good in the clutch this year. Here are the stats..."

YOU: "Well, what if we isolate that sample to only consider situations in which he bats with a runner at first and nobody out. And...only in the last one or two months."

ME: "That's, like, 5 at-bats. Also, what?"

Again, contrary to popular opinion, Reynolds is not a constant rally-killer who ruins the team with his strikeouts. I'm not trying to claim he's had a good year overall, because he hasn't. But your criticism that he's un-clutch just isn't based in reality.

The home run he hit last night was a monster opposite field shot. The guy is so strong...if he'd cut down on his swing and go the other way more, he'd probably be able to hit 10 homers to right-center every season.

That, and he's hands-down the guy I'd choose as "most likely to be a great guy to go grab a few beers with."

When did I ever say Reynolds is having a good year? I was responding to your inaccurate statement that Reynolds doesn't hit well in the clutch. Every single stat-- from his career, and even from this season, in a down year-- shows that he IS a good hitter in the clutch. It's time to bury the misconception that all he does is strike out and fail to move runners.

You're facing overwhelming evidence against you, so you keep trying to change the argument. Here's a review:

YOU: "All Reynolds does is strike out in the clutch!"

ME: "Well, no. He's actually been a good hitter in the clutch throughout his career. Here are the stats..."

YOU: "Well, what about this year?"

FROBBY: "He's actually good in the clutch this year. Here are the stats..."

YOU: "Well, what if we isolate that sample to only consider situations in which he bats with a runner at first and nobody out. And ... only in the last one or two months."

ME: "That's, like, 5 at-bats. Also, what?"

Again, contrary to popular opinion, Reynolds is not a constant rally-killer who ruins the team with his strikeouts. I'm not trying to claim he's had a good year overall, because he hasn't. But your criticism that he's un-clutch just isn't based in reality.

"Last season, I led this team in 9th-inning doubles in the month of August!"

Haha, I always discuss things like that with friends when we are watching games. Probably because we are usually drinking a few beers.

It's honestly a factor in much of my analysis: movie actors, politicians, athletes, musicians. I think it's a pretty fair consideration when you're thinking about who's earned your attention.

That, and he's hands-down the guy I'd choose as "most likely to be a great guy to go grab a few beers with."

If only to have a running friendly feud about him going to UVA. "Just how many polo shirts with popped collars and pairs of docksiders do you own?" And yes, I'd fully expect the Tech overalls and cow jokes in return.

Archived