Mark Reynolds OPS is .731...

EagleOriole

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's now .749.

He's killing it lately. Anyone want to talk about his lack of power now?

So it wasn't appropriate to talk about his lack of power in his first 250 ABs? I mean it is ok to be critical of a player who is not producing...and trust me I am so pumped that my negative reverse lock thread clearly worked, but even the most respected posters were questionning his power drought.

So it wasn't appropriate to talk about his lack of power in his first 250 ABs? I mean it is ok to be critical of a player who is not producing...and trust me I am so pumped that my negative reverse lock thread clearly worked, but even the most respected posters were questionning his power drought.

I don't understand how you can question his power when he's hit 28, 44, 32 and 37 homers in previous seasons.

As I said before, everyone has an off year. Look at Adam Dunn between this year and last year.

I don't understand how you can question his power when he's hit 28, 44, 32 and 37 homers in previous seasons.

As I said before, everyone has an off year. Look at Adam Dunn between this year and last year.

Of course everyone has an off-year and at some point I expected him to go on a tear, but it is fair to wonder if the weight loss caused a power drought or if a new hole had been exposed....for most of this year he has stunk with the bat in his hand (except his ability to draw walks) and one hot week hitting home runs doesn't change that. (Now I hope that hot week turns into 8 hot weeks!)

Of course everyone has an off-year and at some point I expected him to go on a tear, but it is fair to wonder if the weight loss caused a power drought or if a new hole had been exposed....for most of this year he has stunk with the bat in his hand (except his ability to draw walks) and one hot week hitting home runs doesn't change that. (Now I hope that hot week turns into 8 hot weeks!)

When you can show me that weight loss is a direct correlation to losing power, it's fair to think that. I can think of one famous example where weight loss didn't correlate into losing power, when Babe Ruth worked on his farm all winter and had his best season ever to that point. Losing weight doesn't mean losing power, unless that weight is muscle. And none of us know that the weight lost was muscle.

But if you look back at the first page of this thread, Tony is the one saying that he's finished and it's "time to cut bait." ;)

I dont believe Reynolds has had a ton of warning track flyouts (the obvious result in loss of power). Early on he wasnt making solid contact and he clearly was scuffling. I think his defensive struggles seriously contributed to his offensive game.

I don't see any problem with posters questioning why Reynolds' homer totals are down. In my personal opinion, it is unrelated to him having dropped 20 pounds from his 2011 weight. First of all, I believe that he was significantly heavier in 2011 than in prior seasons when he hit a lot of homers, and that his 2012 weight is more in line with what is normal for him than 2011 was. Second, his fly ball percentage is down a lot and he is hitting a lot more line drives. Third, just anectdotally, I don't feel he has had a lot of "almost" homers where a little extra heft would have resulted in the ball going out. So, I feel it has just been one of those things where he just hadn't gotten into a HR groove. Hopefully, he is in one now and can stay there down the stretch.

I don't see any problem with posters questioning why Reynolds' homer totals are down. In my personal opinion, it is unrelated to him having dropped 20 pounds from his 2011 weight. First of all, I believe that he was significantly heavier in 2011 than in prior seasons when he hit a lot of homers, and that his 2012 weight is more in line with what is normal for him than 2011 was. Second, his fly ball percentage is down a lot and he is hitting a lot more line drives. Third, just anectdotally, I don't feel he has had a lot of "almost" homers where a little extra heft would have resulted in the ball going out. So, I feel it has just been one of those things where he just hadn't gotten into a HR groove. Hopefully, he is in one now and can stay there down the stretch.

His HR/FB rate is down, but his overall FB rate was down about 7% overall last time I checked. Probably has more to do with his swing and what/where the pitchers were pitching him than anything else.

His HR/FB rate is down, but his overall FB rate was down about 7% overall last time I checked. Probably has more to do with his swing and what/where the pitchers were pitching him than anything else.
They mentioned last noght that Presley has him swinging down on the ball more which could result in more LD. LD% this year is 22.5 as opposed to 13.2 in 2011.

They mentioned last noght that Presley has him swinging down on the ball more which could result in more LD. LD% this year is 22.5 as opposed to 13.2 in 2011.

Right. They were talking about trying to level out his swing at least a couple weeks ago. Seems to have worked. First the line drives and now the HR's.

When you can show me that weight loss is a direct correlation to losing power, it's fair to think that. I can think of one famous example where weight loss didn't correlate into losing power, when Babe Ruth worked on his farm all winter and had his best season ever to that point. Losing weight doesn't mean losing power, unless that weight is muscle. And none of us know that the weight lost was muscle.

But if you look back at the first page of this thread, Tony is the one saying that he's finished and it's "time to cut bait." ;)

Yeah, I wasn't one who really put much credence into the weight loss theory...that was just a prevailing theory out there. I just thought he stunk. I was never ready to cut bait, but thought he should be in a pretty strict platoon. Which they were going to do, then Betemit got hurt.

Archived