Mark Reynolds OPS is .731...

EagleOriole

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can a player wait until mid-career to discover his position? Mark Reynolds has always been a 1B. He and his managers just did not know it (please correct me if he had played 1B before this year).

He played some for us last year and looked good in spot duty. Also played a little with Arizona. I'm really glad he's found himself a home at first because with the emergence of Marchado combined with Hardy at short and the combo of Dino/Q/Flaherty at second was already decent defensively has made out infield D very solid.

Even earlier when he sucked, had to love his attitude--he never looked down but kept going---but most important--------- HE CALLED OUT THE UMPIRES. I swear that the calls against us have decreased since then---least to my eyes.

You know since that incident Reynolds has been on fire. Coincidence?

If you want a good laugh, read the first few pages of this thread.

Here's what I said in the second post dripping with sarcasm. Granted he was struggling mightily at the time. Now I'm sure I'd say the same sans the sarcasm.

Well, by all means let's keep him in the line up.

...but you said this in the Reynolds OPS Thread;

I have mixed feelings on Reynolds. I have been a pretty strong defender of his offensive game because I believe that his propensity to strike out doesn't really matter so long as his other stats are good. I'm a fan of his ability to get on base. I think his defense at 1B has gone from spotty (making some great plays but also messing up some easy ones) to very good as he has gained experience at the position. I think he's an excellent teammate.

On the other hand, I'm hoping his power decline this year isn't permanent. A low BA and so-so SLG is not what I want at 1B even if the OBP and defense are solid.

So, signing Reynolds long-term is a debatable move for me. Maybe Reynolds will convince me in September.

All of with which I agree. I've been frustrated with him this year, but as I've said his defense has been an unexpected plus and if he continues producing offensively at this rate I'd bring him back.

you said this in the Reynolds OPS Thread....

All of with which I agree. I've been frustrated with him this year, but as I've said his defense has been an unexpected plus and if he continues producing offensively at this rate I'd bring him back.

I definitely think Reynolds has done enough to warrant tendering a contract and offering him arbitration. A longer deal requires a little thought. If the package is .800+ OPS and good defense at 1B, I'd probably do it. .750 OPS, I wouldn't. So, I want to see the full results of 2012 to judge whether I think he just had a down year on the HR side, or whether he's no longer likely to be a 30+ HR guy in the future. Right now, he's making his case, but I want to see if he'll keep it going.

I'm worried about him long term, since his ISO is down percipitously. I like him having a hot streak at the perfect time but would I want him in 2013? Not sure. He'll be someone's buy-low. I'm not sure if the Orioles even have a better 1B even if this ISO decline is indicative of future struggles.

Ha! Stupid Garnaby Braves! It's precipitously! You always were the dumber evil twin.

I'm worried about him long term, since his ISO is down percipitously. I like him having a hot streak at the perfect time but would I want him in 2013? Not sure. He'll be someone's buy-low. I'm not sure if the Orioles even have a better 1B even if this ISO decline is indicative of future struggles.

I believe Reynolds is not a FA next year, just arbitration. Though according to Melewski, at least before August, the Orioles did not want him back. Who knows now, but im guessing they want him to play 1B next year.

I believe he may be one of the best defensive 1st basemen right now. I am giving him the beneift of the doubt about the couple of amazingly boneheaded plays where the ball is hit straight to the second baseman and he runs over and tries to get it and no one can make a play at first.

IF he can clean that dumb stuff up he could be a wonderful guy at first.

He's actually made a few great plays at first recently. He needs to stay there...I think it is pretty clear to both Reynolds and Davis that the O's *hope* that 3B is a closed issue for the next 10 years. That's got to be a motivator.

If Reynolds rediscovers his bat for a month he can make a huge difference.

This is a Jim Traber first-time-through-the-league streak. Except Traber never played incredible D during the streak too.

Archived