Mark Reynolds OPS is .731...

EagleOriole

By the way, now that I think about it, Reynolds actually made THREE excellent plays on defense.

Remember in the 6th inning, when the Yankees had runners on first and second with nobody out ??? Jeter hit a ground ball to Machado, Manny threw the ball to Quintanilla to get the out at second, and even though Jeter was safe at first on the relay throw, Reynolds made a great play by doing something that I have seen him do 3 times in the last 2 weeks ...... lay his body completely down, keep his foot on the base, and STILL manage to somehow snare the badly thrown ball.

If Reynolds had not made that catch, the run would have scored from 3rd, and Jeter would have been standing on second base.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know why you're that surprised by his recent offensive performance. He has a 6 year track record and his numbers now more resemble what he typically has done, in fact, he's still well below normal on his SLG. Hopefully he will stay hot.G

That's right and that's been my gripe with him all season, however, he has consistently played better defense. In fact, some of the plays he's making are superior to most experienced 1B in the league. He is far more relaxed at 1B than 3B, is agile, quick and also good at starting DPs (he creates a good lane for JJ to receive the throw at 2B on the front end). Sometimes he strays too far from the bag but I believe this comes from playing 3B so long and thinking he has to get to anything he can.

If he gets hot with the bat he still won't get close to his career numbers, but he can get locked in quickly as we have seen in the past. That would be good news for us and really bad news for the MFY and the rest of the league.

I'll go ahead and call it.

Reynolds is about to go on a power tear this last 1/3 of the season and help keep us in the pennant race.

His OPS will be above .750

And if this is wrong, well, it won't be the first or last time.

Yea, I'm milking this for all it's worth since it's probably the last time I'll ever be this correct on here.

By the way, now that I think about it, Reynolds actually made THREE excellent plays on defense.

Remember in the 6th inning, when the Yankees had runners on first and second with nobody out ??? Jeter hit a ground ball to Machado, Manny threw the ball to Quintanilla to get the out at second, and even though Jeter was safe at first on the relay throw, Reynolds made a great play by doing something that I have seen him do 3 times in the last 2 weeks ...... lay his body completely down, keep his foot on the base, and STILL manage to somehow snare the badly thrown ball.

If Reynolds had not made that catch, the run would have scored from 3rd, and Jeter would have been standing on second base.

He did that today, too!

A hot Mark Reynolds can single-handedly carry a team. His offensive production is absolutely massive when he's on. Granted, you can hit four solo homers and lose 5-4, so it still takes the other 24 guys, but he can carry his share of the water and a bunch of other people's shares, too.

This might be one of the few times I'm grateful for a streaky player... we got by most of the season without him, basically, and now we're in a race and he's really pulling out all the stops.

Archived