Mark Reynolds just put the umpires on blast. More to come

Greg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything Reynolds said is true, but I will be shocked if he isn't fined pretty heavily. I just hope he isn't suspended. His timing is bad with Betemit out.

I'm not mad at the umps. They made a mistake trying to get the calls right. It happens.

However, it is time to start using instant replay.

I don't know, Corn. I wouldn't necessarily assume so, and I'll tell you why. The umpires look really bad here, overturning a call that they had right in the first place. What's more, I have to think that on some level, Bud Selig and company will be embarrassed at having to fine Reynolds for his outburst, knowing that he was right, and knowing that the umpires look like buffoons. If the umps "go after" Reynolds in the next 2 games, it could make an already embarrassing situation for both the umpires and Selig even worse. If I were Selig, I wouldn't want any part of that potential mockery in the next 2 games. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a brief chat with the umps tonight or tomorrow, and reminds them that they are professionals, and that he doesn't want to see them making an already bad situation even worse by targeting Reynolds.

We'll see what happens.

Yup. It's the smart thing for MLB to do. If they fine Reynolds or anyone else, then the issue won't die and it lingers in the headlines. If they just let it go, it'll die and in a week everyone will forget about it. But, that's if they're smart they'll let this thing die.

No, that's now what I was saying. They ARE going to fine Reynolds. They almost don't have a choice with the precedent of them always fining players and managers in the past for blasting the men in blue. What I was saying is that I think that Selig and the umpires won't want to make it worse by going after Reynolds by increasing his strike zone in the next 2 games, which would make an already shameful situation even more noticeably embarrassing for them.

Everything Reynolds said is true, but I will be shocked if he isn't fined pretty heavily. I just hope he isn't suspended. His timing is bad with Betemit out.

I'm not mad at the umps. They made a mistake trying to get the calls right. It happens.

It has been time for a while, and this play is just another piece of poop in the outhouse.

I think that the quote below was the best part of Reynolds' quote:

I don't understand how an umpire can miss a play at home plate that's right in front of him and see that play from home plate at first base.

I think Reynolds gets fined for the equipment violation and the post game comments. I'll be shocked and disappointed if he is suspended. The umpiring crew needs to be called into the League president's office. Their mechanics were poor. Clearly, the first base ump was in perfect position to make the call. there was no reason for him to ask for help on that play. He should only ask for help if he was blocked or out of position in some way. The league should also look at the argument with Showalter. An umpire touches Showalter's chest a couple of times in the argument. There was no reason for this. If Showalter touched one of the umps, he would be levied a healthy fine and suspension.

Even as much a traditionalist as I am, I agree with you about replay. But what is really bad about this is how bizarre it is from an umpiring standpoint. The home plate umpire has no business, none, making this call. He has NO angle to see the ball and the foot. I umpired for years and this is not something you overrule..it is not a judgement call or a dropped ball that wasn't seen or a swing at a pitch. I am with Palmer, in 40 years of baseball, i have never seen a close play, a tag play, a bang bang play at any base overruled by another umpire. Think of the umpire calls in the world series that were blown...no, the real problem with this was not the call, though they ended up getting it wrong, it was the process of an umpire at first playing to the crowd and the home team by asking for help on a call that he is not allowed to ask help on.

It's times like this that I want to take the "bad calls are just part of the poetry of baseball, the tragically human element of the American game" people out behind the shed and punch them in the kidneys.

It's times like this that I want to take the "bad calls are just part of the poetry of baseball, the tragically human element of the American game" people out behind the shed and punch them in the kidneys.

I have traditionally been a guy who believed that since the players were not infallible, we should accept that the umpires are not infallible, either. However, I feel the quality of umpiring has deteriorated, or perhaps technology has just put a spotlight on how often they are wrong. Either way, I've reached the point of wanting electronic calling of balls and strikes and instant replay of close calls. The players deserve to have the game called right.

I have traditionally been a guy who believed that since the players were not infallible, we should accept that the umpires are not infallible, either. However, I feel the quality of umpiring has deteriorated, or perhaps technology has just put a spotlight on how often they are wrong. Either way, I've reached the point of wanting electronic calling of balls and strikes and instant replay of close calls. The players deserve to have the game called right.

Just same plain accountability for their actions would work, not just adding technology. I mean, I get what you mean about them getting things wrong, but last night was above and beyond just "getting it wrong." It's frustrating, but understandable, for them to get it wrong in the heat of the moment (even though it's their job to get it right). But when they get it right, then bizarrely over turn it...well, that's way different.

And Reynolds should get some assistance from the MLBPA if he gets fines for saying anything for pointing out that when they make mistakes they get benched or sent down, but the umpires can laugh off drastic mistakes that change games.

How about a penalty box instistuted for umpires that blow calls as seen on xmo. A glass one, that fans can pelt with fruit. In order to not slow the pace of the game, the guilty umpire can be placed in the glass "box" between innings and the position be assumed by a member of the press or former baseball great. Like Boog or Jim Palmer. The offender stays in the box until replaced by the umpire who blows the next call. I think I am on to something.

Archived