Who are we rooting for tonight?

isestrex

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be thrilled, proud and excited if we win the Wild Card. However, I feel like the best scenario for us, obviously, would be to win the East and face off against the White Sox in the ALDS. The Tigers pitching coupled with Cabrera and Fielder would worry me a bit more then the White Sox who we've looked pretty good against this year.

We've looked pretty bad against the Rangers and Angels and I'd hope to avoid both of those teams if at all possible but if not possible to avoid all together then I'd rather put them off until the ALCS. As great as Oakland has been this year, for whatever reason, they just don't worry me as much, in the post season, as do the Ranger and Angels (and to a little lesser extent the Tigers).

I'd like our chances in the playoffs, one-game, five-game or seven-game against the Yankees (although I'd just prefer they miss the playoffs entirely even if it puts the Angles and/or Tigers in the playoffs) Rays, A's, or White Sox.

Just my feeling at the moment, a lot can still change.

In his last 7 starts, Guthrie is 4-0 with a 1.70 ERA. The Royals also won all three games where he didn't get the decision. 6 of the 7 games have come against contenders: 3 with the White Sox, and one each with Oakland, Detroit and Texas. He has done us a lot of good in the wild card race, and hopefully will do so tonight, too. After this, 2 of his 3 remaining starts should be against Detroit. So, he can continue to help us.

I'm hoping Oakland sweeps the Yankees next weekend while we're doing the same to the Red Sox. It pushes the Yankees behind us in the standings for the division title. Let the Yankees face Oakland again for the wild card. I'd much rather win the division and face either Chicago or Detroit in the division series than Texas. Do the math.

The Angels Scare the Bejeezus out of me -- Root for Guts Tonight

Hopefully Guthrie is motivated to keep pitching lights out so that he gets a contract next season. Dude's been a beast for the past two months from the mound. He'll need all the mojo he can get against a scary Angels lineup tonight.

Here's hoping our old friend helps his former team out by keeping the Angels at bay. Because they scare me even more than Oakland or Tampa does and I could easily see an Oakland/Angels WC combo this year.

Guthrie has been excellent in his last 3 outings:O http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/124334-Guthrie-dominant-tonight/page2

Update on series:

-The Rays were only able to take 1 of 3 from the Yankees keeping them still 4 games behind us (good) but pushing the Yanks 1 game ahead of us (bad).

-The White Sox finally showed some life and swept the Twins. I'm rooting for them the rest of the way to keep the Tigers out of the playoffs completely.

-The Tigers meanwhile won 2 of 3 from the Indians. They now sit 2 games out of the Central and 4.5 games out of the wild card. Still waaay too early to count them out.

-The Royals only took 1 game out of 3 against the Angels (thanks Guts!!) meaning the Halos gained ground in the wild card hunt. They are now only 2.5 games behind the Orioles

Upcoming Series:

TORONTO BLUE JAYS @ Yankees

The Jays have Lawrie back but Encarnacion is day-to-day with a toe injury making an already sparse lineup looking skeleton like. Taking 2 of 3 from the Yankees would be a pipe dream at this point. Just don't get swept boys...

BOSTON RED SOX @ Rays

The Rays are good at home and the Sox lineup is just what the doctor ordered for the Rays pitchers. Cobb, Hellickson, Price and Shields are due for the 4 game series and things don't look too promising.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX @ Royals

After rooting for the Royals last week, I'm hoping they get swept against Chicago. At this point, I'm hoping the White Sox run away with the division and thankfully I won't have to root against Guthrie.

OAKLAND ATHLETICS @ Tigers

I thought about this one long and hard... on the one hand, the Tigers need to lose games and these are the last good opponents they'll see this season (all Twins and Royals the rest of the way for Detroit). On the other hand, the Orioles are still only 2 games behind the A's. Do I really want them to pad that cushion more or should I get greedy and root for the O's to pass them? In the end, I'm going for the A's. The Orioles real race is the East and/or keeping the second wild card. Ugh... I hate the A's. Brett Anderson vs Verlander is going to be must watch on Wednesday though.

TEXAS RANGERS @ Angels

Go Rangers. The Angels only sit 2.5 games behind the Orioles. They need to be crushed. I hope the Rangers offense really takes it to them.

BONUS GAME

CHICAGO WHITE SOX vs Tigers (Monday)

Because their head to head matchup was rained out last week, they're squeezing in a quick 1 game before the Sox and Tigers head off to their respective series for the week (Sox travel to Kansas City, Tigers travel home to host A's). Obviously I've been clear about my hopes for the Tigers to collapse (even if they are only facing cream puff opponents later on). Pitching matchup doesn't look good though... Fister vs Quintana...

TYhe simplist way to look at this is to root for the O's to win every night and root for the MFY and OAK to lose. If that happens we will finish with 98 W and have nothing to worry about. :laughlol:

Ahhh but these close finishes are far from simple every year, Gordo ;)

Archived