Seattle P-I Speculates: Jones-Morrow-Clement?

Scribo

More arms? Yech. It'd be nice to have some real positional prospects in the upper minors just once.

You really think Kevin Millar is going to get us some great position prospects? Obviously we are better with pitching than position prospects, but if they can trade Millar for some arms I'll just be happy that we are that much more likely to see a young guy (Moore?) getting at bats.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I thought he was talking about Bedard. We are talking with Texas about Millar for a couple arms in the minors.

Dynamite never specifically said that the deal was for Bedard. He just said that we could be very close to a deal with an AL West team that wasn't LAA or SEA (implying TEX) and that the hangup was the 5th player. Thanks for your input Belkast and BB.

You really think Kevin Millar is going to get us some great position prospects? Obviously we are better with pitching than position prospects, but if they can trade Millar for some arms I'll just be happy that we are that much more likely to see a young guy (Moore?) getting at bats.

I think if you find a team that (pick 2 of 3)

a. values OBP

b. considers themselves close to contention

c. has some blocked prospects

then yeah, you can trade Millar for a good positional prospect. I never said GREAT. Just an actual real prospect.

Getting back to the original thread, I thought this was interesting from Baseball Prospectus re: Mariner's under 25 and Morrow in particular.

1. Felix Hernandez, RHP

2. Adam Jones, OF

3. Brandon Morrow, RHP

4. Jeff Clement, C

5. Chris Tillman, RHP

6. Carlos Triunfel, SS

7. Wladimir Balentien, OF

After an up-and-down season in the big league bullpen the year after he was drafted, Morrow is the talk of the Venezuelan Winter League, showing the same dominating stuff in a starting role along with much better command.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6991

I can't see needing Millar after picking up Broussard and Shelton.

Right. And they have Milton Bradley to hold down the DH - granted he won't be completely healthy probably until May.

If it's not Bedard we're talking about then I just don't see any mathces with the Rangers for guys like Millar, Huff, Payton, Hernandez, Mora. And if it is Bedard I'm thinking it may be a bit of a tactic to get the M's to put Jones, Clement and Morrow in the same deal. Who knows. But here is a depth chart for the Rangers and from there you can also check out the M's, Reds, Rangers, A's, etc.

I could see the A's interested in Millar (OBP, leadership) and Beane loves Bradford (MoneyBall). Also, Payton has played for them before and would make a better 4th outfielder defensively than the likes of Cust.

I am not sure Beane would like Bradford at 2 years with 6 million left on his contract.

Dynamite never specifically said that the deal was for Bedard. He just said that we could be very close to a deal with an AL West team that wasn't LAA or SEA (implying TEX) and that the hangup was the 5th player. Thanks for your input Belkast and BB.

Out of curiosity, and for those who have arrived late. Can someone link to the thread/post of Dynamite? I'd like to go back and follow that discussion...

Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance on these matters, but does Weiters project high enough to forgo a potential star catcher. Would the return on Clements be worth it?

NO. Now if you let him establish himself as a major league slugger and trade him only when Weiters proves he is for real, then you get a huge package for him in trade. But that is most likely in two years. The smart thing to do with him is let him play first base, and serve as the backup Catcher to Ramon if you can't deal Hernandez. I am very high on Weiters, he is a nice prospect to be sure. But he is not ML ready now, and he may not be in '09 either.

Case in point is Jarrod Saltalamachia in Atlanta last year. The Braves did just what I propose with Salty. They let him play some first base and Catch on occasion. IMO, they got stupid and traded him for Texeira who is obviously a real good player. But IMO, Atlanta got fleeced. Sorry all you John Schuerholz fans, but he should have slipped off into retirement a year earlier.

Archived